Corsair Community

Fan Spec Clarification Please?

Generic Waffle

What has got me confused is that the Quiet Edition AF120 LED and non-LED fans have different specifications according to the Corsair website.

What is bizarre is that the LED version apparently has a higher airflow and is louder, although i have heard somewhere that they are the same.

I am building my first PC and i wish to maintain positive pressure, and keep it as quiet as possible, but i do also want LEDs.

here are the specs for both according to the Corsair website:

-non-LED

Air Flow 39.88 CFM

Static Pressure .5 mm/H20

Sound Level 21 dBA

Speed 1100 RPM

Power Draw 0.08 A

-LED

Air Flow 66.4 CFM

Static Pressure .80 mmH20

Sound Level 25.5 dBA

Speed 1200 RPM

Power Draw 0.23 A

here are the URLs for reference:

http://www.corsair.com/en-au/air-series-af120-quiet-edition-high-airflow-120mm-fan

http://www.corsair.com/en-au/air-series-af120-led-red-quiet-edition-high-airflow-120mm-fan

I have a deadline of the end of this month to know exactly if they are the same or not so i can notify the supplier before the stock ETA.

Help?

I believe you inadvertently copied the specifications for the 140mm version. Some of the product pages have two 120 models, whereas other have a 120 and a 140 model. The fan blades are the same on all the AF120 models and using the various max specifications, you can create a fairly accurate line graph of performance for an AF120 fan.

1100 rpm 39 cfm ---------------------> 1500 rpm 52 cfm ----> 1650 63.5 cfm

As you can see, the volume of air moved by the fan takes a fairly sharp rise up in the last 100-200 rpm. This is very typical across 120mm fans. However, it's relevance here is in trying to calculate your airflow balance. No one wants to run their fans flat out at 100%. Besides airflow, you pick up quite a bit of motor noise in that last 10%. Using a rough estimate of 2/3 of the maximum airflow and max RPM is generally a better way to try and calculate normal system balance. After all, most of your computer's on time is likely to be as desktop levels rather than moderate to high load. Even when facing a load, 2/3 of your max fan speed is likely where you want to be for a combination of airflow and moderate noise. If you are building some kind of server/workstation, then you make adjustments to your calculation. Besides, most people program both their case and CPU fans to follow some sort of temperature curve. Trying to maintain a specific "balance" in those conditions can be a little elusive. It is usually best to aim for neutral capability, then just raise your front intake fans by 100 rpm. Positive balance achieved.

All that said, don't get carried away chasing the elusive "positive pressure" balance. The amount of air forced out of your case due to pressure conditions is a pittance compared what a single fan can move at moderate speed. Put your hand behind your rear exhaust and then compare that to what comes out any of the vents. Your goal in system cooling is to replace to the warm air inside the case with cooler air from elsewhere. Positive or negative balance isn't going make much difference compared to your fans. Too many of the arguments regarding the merits of this are based on theoretical conditions that don't exist (like running all your fans at maximum all the time) or just plain nonsense (the dust ball video).

What has got me confused is that the Quiet Edition AF120 LED and non-LED fans have different specifications according to the Corsair website.

What is bizarre is that the LED version apparently has a higher airflow and is louder, although i have heard somewhere that they are the same.

I am building my first PC and i wish to maintain positive pressure, and keep it as quiet as possible, but i do also want LEDs.

here are the URLs for reference:

http://www.corsair.com/en-au/air-series-af120-quiet-edition-high-airflow-120mm-fan

http://www.corsair.com/en-au/air-series-af120-led-red-quiet-edition-high-airflow-120mm-fan

I have a deadline of the end of this month to know exactly if they are the same or not so i can notify the supplier before the stock ETA.

Help?

Corsair makes 3 versions of the AF120 fans which have different spec. The non-LED have a quiet and a performance version. The LED version was called "quiet", but runs at an rpm in between the 2 non-LED versions. The current draw, static pressure, noise level and CFM seem to be corresponding to the rpm. The LED AF120 is 4.2 dB noisier than the quiet non-LED, but also have 25% more air flow. It is good to have 3 choices.

I would definitely consider their higher end PWM SP120 cooling fan series. It gives you the option of tailoring the air flow CFM according to the noise level you want, after purchase. And the current draw is much lower than AF120 at the same CFM. It means a longer lasting fan.

PWM SP120 cooling fan

Archived