Corsair Community

Some SP140 Questions ...

DjRavix

So I have to say that I was always impressed with my Corsair Products

However since I Had A H100, H100i and H105 I decided to go for the real deal

So Now I am running A Custom Liquid cooling Kit

I have One Radiator and I am waiting for my second one to arrive

The Radiator I currently have has SP120 SE PWM Fans on it

and I am impressed with keeping my system under 60C with the fans running 400~500 RPM While running Prime 95 and Furmark (CPU + 2 GPUs)

The Radiator I have ordered is one for 140mm Fans

So I was looking Around and noticed that you just released SP140 Fans

Unfortunately They are not the once I hoped for

So what is the reason for these being only Released as LED versions ?

and also Why aren't there no SE and HP versions of these ?

will there be Classic SP140 SE/HP versions in the future ?

I also noticed another thing

As you know the SP120 SE has a Static Pressure of 1.29 mm/H20

And I noticed that the SP140 Has a Static Pressure of 1.17 mm/H20

Knowing That the SP140 runs only 10 RPM Slower than The SP120 SE

I actually can not understand why it has less pressure than the SP120 SE has

Since The SP140 is a Lot larger I Expected that to be Equal or higher than the SP120 SE

So Why is this ?

And The reason I Ask is because The Radiator that I order is 19 FPI (Some might say 38 FPI since it is also a splitter fin Design) And those really benefit from Higher Static Pressure Fans

And some other Fan Manufactures Have 140mm Fans that exceed the 1.29 mm/H20 Of the SP120 SE at Lower Speeds

The Point is that I really would Like to go with Your Fans But I Am worried that they will not preform as good as your Classic SP Series do ...

The discussion of static pressure vs airflow is a long one and covered in great depth many places around the web. The short version is the depth of the fan (or fan blades) has a greater determination on the static pressure rating, rather than fan diameter. I have a Noiseblocker 40mm fan that crushes your beloved SP120 with a 1.66 mm (water) rating -- but you certainly wouldn't want to put it on your radiator.

When it comes to radiator cooling effectiveness, surface area is the largest variable. Most AIO cooler manufacturers put out a thinner 280mm rad vs a thicker 240mm. While theoretically the 280 would be even more effective as a thicker unit, the thinner rad allows people to run a pair of slow speed 140mm fans. This is the quiet set up. It gives people who want a low noise solution near equal cooling power to someone running a thick 40 or 50mm radiator and blasting a pair of 120's through it. Rather than think of the H105 and 110 as competing coolers, view them as two different solutions for people with different goals. Although, I am sure marketing would like to have the final say on that. You'll also need to ask them about your LED's.

1.29 mm vs 1.17 mm is not a significant difference for your real world cooling unless you intend to run your fans at maximum all the time and are pushing your thermal limits as far as they can go. Those two numbers only exist at the peak RPM for each fan. As you lower rpm, the sp numbers drop. While P-Q curves are usually somewhat linear, mathematically they are not and that .12 difference will not hold constant as the speed drops. Most 140mm fans will have a lower max speed than a comparable 120mm, so it is always likely a static pressure designed 120 will produce a a higher rating at maximum speed. But is that where you will run your fans? At the same speed, say 800 rpm, it is highly likely the 140mm fan will have a higher static pressure rating. The fact you can keep your system that cool running at paltry fan speeds (400-500rpm) means static pressure is not an issue for you. Most of us would love to be able to run our fans that low, although you could put 18 of my Noiseblocker's on your 240 rad.

• Corsair Employee

The honest truth is that we just haven't aggressively developed 140mm fans since 120mm fans are more common and more standard. But people were asking for a 140mm SP fan, so when the SP LEDs went into development we just added the 140 then. I know, it's weird.

The 140mm SP LEDs do work well, though. And be careful not to put too much stock in the stated specifications and performance of competing fans; a lot of our competitors have a habit of exaggerating (sometimes grossly) these numbers.

The honest truth is that we just haven't aggressively developed 140mm fans since 120mm fans are more common and more standard. But people were asking for a 140mm SP fan, so when the SP LEDs went into development we just added the 140 then. I know, it's weird.

Hm ... okay

Do You know why People ask for The SP140 Fans ?

Because I think I might know the answer to that ...

I think its because of Lot of cases Having 140 Fan mounts at locations where there is restriction from HDD Cages and intake filters

A Nice Example of this is the Hotswap bay from your Legendary 800D Case

This are locations where SP fans would been preferred

And also Since More and More Cases starting to get 140mm Radiator mounts people will also be more likely to get 140mm Fans for those

The 140mm SP LEDs do work well, though. And be careful not to put too much stock in the stated specifications and performance of competing fans; a lot of our competitors have a habit of exaggerating (sometimes grossly) these numbers.

I am aware of that and do not always trust those specs

Only the manufactures that have been tested time and time again and show to preform within a margin of error to be close to the specs they put on there product specifications

In most cases the dBA specs are overrated

it's nearly impossible to make A room with a lower noise floor than some of those have

and some of those are within a price range where I do not think the could never pay for such room to test there fans on this in

I just hope that there will be SP140 SE and HP in the Future that have the Classic Looks that we know and preform better than the Current SP140 LED Fans

Okay so I give the SP140 LED versions A Try for now

I Ordered 2 Twin Pack Yesterday and hope they arrive within the amount of time that the dealer that I ordered them from

The reason I am doing this is plain simple That I currently have AF140 and those do actually not work on the radiator I have

I seen people who used them but they used them on Low FPI Radiators and i am pretty sure that 19 FPI with split fin design couldn't be called Low FPI

(There is actually little to no air coming out of the other side of the rad)

• 2 weeks later...

Subscribed for updates on non-LED SP140 fans with interchangeable color rings. I have a case full of SP120's and an AF140 for the rear case exhaust but my front 280mm radiator would look real nice with some matching fans to replace my ugly Noctua fans on the front of my radiator and to replace the weak AF140 I have on the inside of the front radiator.

Question: Can the current LED SP140 fans be configured not to light up?

1283432494_IMG_7560(1).thumb.JPG.e49a4de96da641d376f97b23bab66c05.JPG

Subscribed for updates on non-LED SP140 fans with interchangeable color rings. I have a case full of SP120's and an AF140 for the rear case exhaust but my front 280mm radiator would look real nice with some matching fans to replace my ugly Noctua fans on the front of my radiator and to replace the weak AF140 I have on the inside of the front radiator.

Question: Can the current LED SP140 fans be configured not to light up?

I currently have Them and ... No The LED's Can not be turned off

However The Once That I have Are not Lighting the Whole case up

(Or at least the blue ones don't)

I think a set of red or white versions of them will look nice in your case

I have to say that they perform pretty well on my 280 Rad and are A bit noisy when running at full speed but Fine when turned down a bit

attachment.php?attachmentid=20335&stc=1&d=1420420330

attachment.php?attachmentid=20344&stc=1&d=1420420582

attachment.php?attachmentid=20345&stc=1&d=1420420607

attachment.php?attachmentid=20346&stc=1&d=1420420627

IMG_1634-RS.jpg.f1803634f8bd06fe3b5a2e904d0407b6.jpg

IMG_1635-RS.jpg.f6a2e69d43b2c635f7f5e0552f6ce69c.jpg

IMG_1636-RS.jpg.e9b3acdb38b301181ad4328a8506bd5c.jpg

IMG_1637-RS.jpg.66ae9c723286e9eaeea6c21e1cdbf1e6.jpg

^Looks great in your application!

I've been doing some research and noticed that the Alphacool UT60 radiator has a relatively low fin count and are suitable for low speed fans so I should be fine using the AF140 fans until Corsair releases some new non-LED SP140's.

Until Corsair releases some non-LED SP140 fans I've gone ahead and added one of my extra AF140 fans to the front radiator in PULL configuration. The results are positive! Temps on average are 1-2 degrees cooler, the system runs quieter with having also reduced the fan speeds all around with the additional airflow of the PUSH/PULL configuration and while gaming the fans don't spin up as much as they used to. Will be adding a spacer to my front radiator lower compression fitting in the future to allow a second fan to be added in PULL configuration but until then I'm pretty happy with the results. I was hesitant at first to put the AF140 on the radiator but having done a bit of reading the AF140's are ok to be used in PULL only configuration on radiators with low FPI like the Alphacool. :thumb:

Notes:

-Top Corsair fan speeds are kept under 400rpm while the CPU is under 59C and ramp up to 1000rpm at 60C and Max 1350rpm at 65C

-The front Noctua Radiator fans I have set run at 750rpm while the CPU is under 60C at which point they ramp up to 1000rpm at 60C and MAX at 70+C

-The Corsair AF140 on the front radiator is kept at 716rpm until 60C at which point ramps up to MAX 1150rpm if the CPU were to ever hit 75C

-The rear Corsair AF140 currently only turns on if the CPU temps reach 65C and ramps up to 1150 at 75C

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o304/caymandiver75/PC/IMG_7581_zps325dda46.jpg

Just a photo showing the hot looking Noctua fans which hide and work nicely behind the 750D's dust filter and front aluminum cover.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o304/caymandiver75/NoctuaFrontfans2_zps5f4153f5.jpg

Archived