Corsair Community

I'm done with Corsair SP120 fans :( Rattle Sound

toddnunez94

Corsair SP fans are garbage. After 2 pairs with the exact same problems, the same lower than advertised RPM and the rattling, I just picked up 4 delta AFB1212VH PWM fans from ebay for around $17 each. Theyll do 500-3100rpm through PWM control.

If you want something cheaper, look for 3 pin AFB1212Ms Or AFB1212H's from a dell, theyre both the "low" RPM 2300 AFB1212M, 2 can easily be motherboard controlled (2 have a combined amperage <1A) and throttle down to around 700rpm. They only cost around $8 and are superior to just about every other fan in the consumer market in terms of true static pressure, true CFM, and noise.

• 10 months later...

Well I didn't solve my problem, but I did however seem to go around it :)

Ever since returning the fans, which were PWM, I thought I wouldn't own SP120's ever again. No matter what I couldn't fix the rattle sound. About 2 or 3 months ago I decided to give these fans another try, but instead get the 3 pin versions. I currently have 7 of them hooked up to my NZXT Sentry Mix 2. To date, I haven't had a single issue regarding that rattle sound.

My only guess to what was causing the initial issue with the PWM versions was the H100i,

• 1 month later...

i just got done swapping my case with a new Corsair 780t and a new H110 GTX. either i did not notice the rattle on the first day or it didn't do so, but 2nd day in, i started to notice a rattle at peak RPM in what appears to be one of the SP140L. i specify that this is the SP140L edition, not the regular SP140. the SP140L comes with the H110 GTX, and you can't seem to buy them off the shelf anywhere.

i love the SP140L's high static pressure of 4 h20. but yesterday i started noticing, a faint almost bearing rattle like sound coming from i believe to be one of the two SP140L. the H110 GTX is mounted vertically on the front intake side of 780t case, with the two stock SP140L configured in pull. at first naturally i thought it was vibration. but after tightening every screw, which may have helped a little, the rattle sound was still there. farther investigating it i found that it has to do with the turbulence and air pressure working together with the SP140L. i found this out because i noticed whenever i take the front case filter off, the noise disappears, and resumes when i put the filter back on. i tried taking the three Noiseblocker Eloop fans off the front intake, which were configured as Push to help pushing the air through the H110 GTX hoping that it will change the aero. my original theory was that the eloop fans only have about 2.2 h20 static pressure, so maybe the SP140L was pulling in air that's causing some weird pressure build-up. but after taking those three Eloop fans off the front intake, the noise was still there. but still, even without those three eloop fans, if i take the front case filter off, the rattle sound disappears. it only happens at peak 100% RPM.

i am going to play around with the configuration some more tonight, but to feels to me that it has to do with the aero dynamic and particular user configuration, which makes it even harder to proof to the manufacturer that there is a design flaw.

to give you an example, the Eloop fans are some of the best low noise vs high airflow static pressure fans you can get, at a premium. however, over a year ago, users found out that under a specific condition, where the fans are mounted as "pull" with another surface (ie radiator or grill) less than a few mm away from the motor bearing, it causes a weird whine sound, but if you increase the distance between the surface to the bearing by just a few mm, the sound disappears and functions as it should.

i can't say for certain, but i am going to investigate more. but so far, it does seem like it has to do with the aero, pressure, and configuration.

Following up. after i came home and farther investigation. it's definitely one of the two SP140L's that's making the weird rattle noise. the other one works fine. i am going to attempt to RMA, but do i need to send one of them back? i kind of need both to cool my system for work. i am doing rendering.

• 2 weeks later...
I just completed my new z170 system. Everything went fine except for a noisy SP120 "Not-So-Quiet" fan. I replaced the stock fans on my H100i GTX with two SP120, but one makes a grinding noise right in the center. I hope this is not a sign of things to come with the other three SP fans in my case.

ah yes, try pressing down the motor and clamp it together with your hands as hard as you can. i know it made mine better, but the rattle is still there. i honestly think there's a manufacturing quality control issue with these fans. as much as i love the performance of these fans, i think many of them come off the assembly line possibly with bearing ball out of alignment or possibly one of the balls is out of round.

Have you tried mounting the fans on top of the radiator ? I had big problems with my hx100i after i changed the fans to cooler master jetflo 120 pwm's completely stuffed the 100i and both fans, replaced it with a 100i gtx, all is good now, and yes i had checked everything over and over, cost @ $450 to get LED fans. so try on top with branding facing up, just a thought.

• 9 months later...
Try pressing down on the impeller and see if it needs to be popped into place.
Hi! I apologize to revive this thread a year from the last comment, but I have that same problem and I won't to RMA yet (because of work) but later if the sound still there, I should do it. I explane my particular case: After 5 month with the ultraperforming h100i GTX (very quiet, very performing) the right fan mounted in Push on a 350D is making that rattling sound that makes you broke up the computer like a piece of wood with a Karate move. I tried to make a lot of tests and I discovered that If I press down the grill a little bit the sound is minimizing, but still there. Now, after I read the entire thead I seen (even on your comment) that is a possibility of fix that rattling but I don't understand very well how to do it. Can you explane more detailed? Thank you.

Archived