Corsair Community

GS600 PSU Installation Issues

fuzztherapy

I recently purchased a Gateway DX4860. I wanted to upgrade the video card, which required a new PSU. The factory PSU is 300W. I bought a ******** psu and thought it was defective so returned it and got the GS600. When I install the 600, it powers up for a second then immediately powers off. I can't turn it back on. I put the factory PSU back in and it worked fine. I tried disconnecting the RAM, HDD and DVD drive and just plugging in the 24pin and 4pin connectors and the same thing happened.

Am I doing something wrong, or is there possibly a compatibility issue that I am unaware of? I've even tried a different outlet at my house as well as power cable just in case.

Here is a link to the Gateway page that has my specs:

http://us.gateway.com/gw/en/US/content/model/PT.GCPP2.004

Intel i5 processor

8GB RAM

1TB HDD

Windows 7 64-bit OS

Not sure of the model motherboard as I am at work.

Do the paperclip test first off to rule out the psu being faulty. Also it may be a "gateway" motherboard, as in there own custom, which doesn't have generic specs like asus, gigabite, etc. use. I know hp does this and different motherboards dont even fit in there cases most of the time. Paperclip test and find out what board you have.

I tried the paper clip test and the PSU seems fine.

The motherboard is an Acer model, but I can't recall which (ISI-something i think) I will see when I get home.

I'm trying to get some information from Gateway regarding the PC but they just post the same generic info that's on the website.

Sketchy indeed. The only response I got from Gateway earlier was that the mobo is only tested to run with 300W PSU....and anything higher may or may not work :S

They also enlightened me to the fact that a standard ATX PSU may or may not work as well.

Customer service at its finest.

I'm looking into an issue of "incorrect PG signal delay" now if anyone knows anything about that.

I could buy a new mobo I suppose....I'm at the point now though where I just want to know exactly why this would not work.

Never heard of it. My guess is psu and mobo were made by acer (or whoever) to be used together. Meaning they can make the connections any way they want. Ud think most parts would b generic, but these companies like to screw u over (kind of). Really they just dont want u to change parts, mess something up, then try to warrantee.

Dell can be the same way. Alot of the OEMs use proprietary components. Not so much now but in some of the older systems it was quite common. PSU's were top of that list for some reason.

Dell still uses some proprietary components in some of their computers.

I'm looking for a 400w for mine right now for an E510! Just dont want to do sleeze-bay!

Archived