Corsair Community

Metallic/Robotic Tinny Sound in Corsair H2100 7.1 Surround

SuperRichX

Hi there,

I am currently experiencing audio problems when attempting to use the Dolby Virtual Surround that is integrated into the Corsair audio software.

Whenever I enable Dolby Surround using the Power Button (the Headphone and Dolby Pro Logic icons light up), the sound becomes really tinny and metallic.

My motherboard supports 2.1/4/5.1/7.1 surround sound, so I have tried changing the source audio to 2.1 and 5.1 surround sound with the "now playing audio" fixed on 7.1. However, unfortunately there has been no difference. Sound actually improves when I disable "dolby surround sound" and revert it back to 2.1 stero.

Could someone please explain why this is happening?

I have read numerous posts with people having the same problems with the same headset and other corsair ones, but no one has seemed to solve it?

Furthermore, there is little to no tutorials on how to use corsair surround sound audio software, so a brief tutorial could help me a lot. I find this rather concerning, as for a newcommer to virtual surround sound and so called "premium" headsets, a user guide would have been appreciated.

I asumme that the "source type" in the corsair software should be set at 2.1/5.1 depending on what your soundcard can output?

There is also a 7.1 "source type " option, however when that is selected the "dolby pro logic " icon greys out, and is no longer lit up. I am assuming that is because if the source was 7.1 surround and you wanted the "now play" audio 7.1 audio, there would be no need for the software to emulate anything?

Any help would be appreciated, as I'm having real doubts over corsairs ability to provide the quality audio experience that they speak of... I just hope I am wrong.

Kind Regards,

A troubled gamer.

SuperRichX

What is the difference between Dolby Pro Logic and Dolby Surround?

And Yes, as mentioned previously I have tried setting "Source Sound" to 5.1 and 7.1, they BOTH sound metallic and robotic. The only way to correct this is to set "source sound" to back to 2.1.

As I understand it, "source sound" is the output from your soundcard/motherboard card please correct me if I am wrong? The "Now playing" sound never changes from 7.1, regardless of what "sound input" I choose. I assume this is because it is trying to play 7.1 surround from the 2.1 or 5.1 source channells you select.

My motherboard is pretty basic, so I am guessing leaving the "source sound" as 2.1, and allowing it to emulate the "now playing" 7.1 sound via Dolby surround/Logic is the best way at the moment? Like I said before, if I change the source sound to 5.1 or 7.1 it becomes instantly robotic and tinny.

Is isn't the headphones as I am currently using Razer surround software with no problems whatsovever. I am starting to think it's corsairs poor software and driver optimisation, as many people have problems with this.

Regards

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-pro-logic-iix.html

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-surround-7-1.html

Source sound refers to the audio content you are currently playing. E.g. 2.1 Stereo for Music, 5.1/7/1 for Movies, Games, etc.

The "Now playing" sticks to 7.1 Surround when Dolby virtual surround is enabled as it plays everything in virtual 7.1 surround.

Okay, so do you suggest that I change the "source sound" depending on what media conent I am playing? 2.1 for music and 5.1/7.1 for games. Im assuming the 7.1 "source sound" makes the dolby virtual 7.1 redundant? As it has nothing to mix it into.

Furthermore, do you suggest I leave the ingame audio options to default stereo and let the dolby software do all the virtualisation? How does it work?

Sorry for the trouble, but there is absolutely no tutorials or help for corsiars dolby software.

Regards

SuperRichx

I would experiment a bit to find which settings suit you the best.

If i recall correctly, i think in the very early version of the drivers, it mentioned leaving it in 5.1 Surround with the Dolby drivers enabled, it will automatically do the 2.1 and 5.1 thing itself. I'm not sure if that's the case now. But you can test it by playing music while 5.1 Surround is selected and compare it to 2.1 Stereo with Dolby.

As for the in-game settings. IMO i found that changing the in-game audio settings to 5.1 does make it sound a bit better than leaving it on Stereo.

Archived