Corsair Community

H100i v2 dangerously loose

WindyRain0212

So I did an RMA about a week ago to replace my trusty H100i (it's cooling efficiency degraded highly and there was a lot of air in the loop).

Got a H100i v2 in return. Nice, yes?

Nope.

Problem: The whole pumpblock is so loose on the CPU that I hit 100+°C almost instantly as soon as I start a stress test (and that on 4.0 GHz / 1.0v, CPU is in the profile) - The coolant temperature would idle on a chilly 32-38°C

(Also using Corsair's preapplied paste, which was pretty dry, is that normal?)

I could move it around.. ~5mm while it's installed.

I attached an image of the backplate and how far it goes off while the pump is installed.

Another thing I noticed is that the standoff screws don't fully screw into the backplate - if my memory serves me right they do on the H100i.

Now after those temps I looked around the forum and saw some similar topics.

I also read somewhere to try washers, so I took 4 from the 8 of the radiator mount screws and put them on between the motherboard and the standoffs.

Swapped cooling paste and now the temps are around 80°C (~41°C coolant) when gaming.

Running a stress test or high usage still skyrockets it to 90°C and above though.

For comparision:

H100i temps @ 4.7 GHz , 1.37v:

CPU: 73°C / Coolant: ~50°C

All aforementioned stresstests are AIDA64 Extreme System Stability tests (CPU,FPU,Cache,Memory)

Now I want to know, is there anything I might be missing onto why its THAT loose without the washers and/or is there maybe a better way to use the washers for increased performance?

I was extremely happy with my H100i, but the v2 only surprised me when I opened the package.. The rest is a dissapointment so far. :(:

I also contacted the support yesterday, but answer from there will only come on Monday.

20170324_165950.thumb.jpg.d979e91185774ebada6eb103aea2174d.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I'm having the exact same issue with my new H100i v2 on my Strix Z270 motherboard. Ive not even bothered installing the cooler yet as I have over 3mm of give on the backplate! The knowledgebase claims this is normal, which is absurd. I'm unsure how to proceed, I'm interested to know what you end up doing to fix this.

'm unsure how to proceed, I'm interested to know what you end up doing to fix this.

Tighten the pump down as instructed. Until you do so, you are jumping to conclusions. If you are unable to screw in the stand-offs like the original poster, than stop and make sure you are using the right ones.

Can only agree, installing the pump should be done before complaining. Heh. ;):

and update: Seems like Corsair is gonna send me a new backplate, I really hope this will fix it.. Though I have my doubts.

Rendering a simple image drives my package temp already to ~93°C :sigh!:

I hope you tried to atleast install the pump first. Loose backplates alone are not an issue. A loose pumpblock is though.

Also can people maybe give some more info? Like, those with a H100i v2, I'd like to know if the (LGA115x if possible) screws screwed in fully or not.

I was not expecting so much play on the backplate after installing the posts, about 1/4 inch. I made some small cork washers, installed them between the back plate and the m/b, that solved the play. After I installed the block it was nice and solid. Getting 30-32C idle and max temp of 68-70 w/o o/c.

I think the instructions should make mention that the backplate can have some play, and how much. Better, make a back plate that the posts feel snug, no play!

Thanks for the response.

Part of the problem seems to be that Asus make their motherboards slightly thinner than most other manufacturers. Previously, I had my H110i GT mounted on an Msi motherboard and it was a good, tight fit, when I changed to an Asus motherboard there was a certain amount of play when I fastened to backplate on, which disappeared when I tightened the pump unit down.

Part of the problem seems to be that Asus make their motherboards slightly thinner than most other manufacturers. Previously, I had my H110i GT mounted on an Msi motherboard and it was a good, tight fit, when I changed to an Asus motherboard there was a certain amount of play when I fastened to backplate on, which disappeared when I tightened the pump unit down.

Thanks for the reply! I used some homemade cork washers and reduced the play to almost nothing. As you stated, once the pump was tightened, the installation felt solid.

Perhaps Corsair should include some washers to be used when installing on an ASUS motherboard. I think it would be helpful if they would address it in their instructions. It was not a good feeling tightening the risers and having such a loose plate. And most of the videos I saw seem to show a fairly tight install,

Again, thanks for the reply.

Just got my replacement backplate and screws!

Tried screwing the standoffs in, and voila! They screwed in to the end! :D

Gonna install it and reply soon if the issues are fixed.

Can only congratulate on the Corsair support again. Even with their issues this really makes me love em.

Just got my replacement backplate and screws!

Tried screwing the standoffs in, and voila! They screwed in to the end! :D

Gonna install it and reply soon if the issues are fixed.

Can only congratulate on the Corsair support again. Even with their issues this really makes me love em.

So, installed. Pump is lovely tight. :D:

Temps are still kinda off though.

Jumping between 65°C and 87°C (package), coolant is around ~30°C, slowly increasing.

Atleast it doesn't throttle anymore.

Archived