Corsair Community

H110 rattling noise caused by pump?!?

xionix

Hi folks!

I just bought a H110 and I'm wondering if the noise the pump makes is normal.

I've replaced to original Fans with Noctua NF-A14 PWMs and yes the original ones made that strange grinding/clicking noise I've been reading about in the forums. But I wanted to replace them anyway so no hard feelings.

With the Noctuas, controlled by the mobo, you can't hear anything from the fans. The pump on the other hand makes itself known.

I would describe the noise as one normal HDDs make when working.

Here is a little video I took while the pump was running. I hope you can here it since my phone recorded a lot of background noise as well.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/42849830/H110_rattling.mp4

What makes me wonder is the fact that all reviews of the H110 say that the pump is the last thing you would hear and it'd be more likely to here the PSU fan before you can hear the pump.

In my setup the pump is the only thing you can hear...unfortunately.

The are threads here that say the pump will settle down after a while so I'm interested what you guys think.

Thanks

X

It's true that you shouldn't hear the pump, but that's only if it's operating at full speed. Lower speeds causes that noise, and if you check your pump speed in corsair link, I'm sure you'll find it operating below normal.

If yours does this, I suggest you try putting the computer into sleep mode and waking it again. It sometimes takes more than one try, but that usually fixes mine from doing this. The only other thing I've found to work is just let your computer idle until the sound stops, but that can take up to 10 minutes I've found.

If yours does this, I suggest you try putting the computer into sleep mode and waking it again. It sometimes takes more than one try, but that usually fixes mine from doing this. The only other thing I've found to work is just let your computer idle until the sound stops, but that can take up to 10 minutes I've found.

Then you need to have your unit replaced. This isn't a "fix" but a workaround that works for you.

I wouldn't advise any other user to do this but rather just replace it and get a unit that performs as it should.

Then you need to have your unit replaced. This isn't a "fix" but a workaround that works for you.

I wouldn't advise any other user to do this but rather just replace it and get a unit that performs as it should.

But the question that remains: is this a hardware or a software issue? The hardware performs just fine once it returns to normal speed, so why doesn't it always run at normal speed on startup/waking?

If I have to send in my pump, my computer has to sit idle unless I pick up another HS/fan, and I can't do that since I use this computer to make my living.

I've read about the speed issues. That's why I'm running the pump on a 12v Molex Fan adapter. But it doesn't seem to change anything.

What speed issues? There are very few complaints on the H110 and none of them have "issues" with pump speed unless it has or is failing. Nothing changed running the unit on an adapter because the pump speed is not changeable. It's getting 12v no matter if it's connected to a MB fan header or directly to the PSU.

@RAM GUY

I'm in contact with customer support and my RMA ticket is being processed.

@peanutz94

I was referring to the fact that the pump is suppose to run full speed at all times.

When I connect the pump to my Asus P9X79 it never exceeds ~1000rmp, even if I set the fan header to Turbo and upper/lower limits to 100%. Using a Molex connector just ensures that the pump always gets full 12v.

When I connect the pump to my Asus P9X79 it never exceeds ~1000rmp, even if I set the fan header to Turbo and upper/lower limits to 100%. Using a Molex connector just ensures that the pump always gets full 12v.

Ahh i see. Okay, but thats a problem with your board and no fault of the coolers. Thats something that ASUS needs to address and figure out why that header isn't supplying the voltage it's supposed to.

I guess i'm kind of lost on your issue really. You said using a molex made no difference , but now your saying when connected to the MB it only runs at 1000RPM? Or were you referring to the pump starting out at a low RPM from cold boot/wake?

Ahh, at any rate, let us know how you make out with support. I'm sure they will just have you RMA it.

@peanutz94

At first I was using the MB fan connector. Since the pump was making that noise I checked the forums and found out that it's suppose to run at full speed and that 1000rpm is not full speed.

So I switched to a molex connector to ensure the pump is supplied with 12v.

Now it was running faster but the noise got worse as well.

That's all ;)

I'll keep you posted.

X

I just did but there's no point in uploading it because all you can hear is the background noise.

Just imagine the old video with a pump not making any noise ;)

No, seriously, you can't hear a thing from the pump. Maybe a little humming when you put your ear right next to it and I mean right next to it (~1")

• 4 months later...
Whats the part number you submitted the RMA on?. I cant find a part number for my pump on the RMA site.

did you click on the cooling catagory?

even so if you cant find it,click on a close one and in the comments section,explain what you have...

Archived