Corsair Community

Corsair One feedback/ideas for Alan and team - am I right?

Wheelbarrow

Corsair Alan (& everyone else on the ONE team), I wanted to give some feedback on the ONE and hear your thoughts, see below!

I am not a ONE owner - I'm one of the guys eagerly awaiting the 1080ti restock! Registered to jump in the discussion here.

The ONE PRO Ti as it's offered now is close to perfect - judging from my own needs and reading many reviews/forum discussions, many users may agree with the bullet points below to make it "just right".

Changes to take the ONE from great to perfect:

1. Add M.2 PCIe drive option instead of SATA only*

-Ideal setup for many might be 256/512GB M.2 PCIe

primary + 1-2TB SATA 2.5" storage drive

-Beware of M.2 SSD heat/throttling issues if motherboard options

will only allow the slot to fit on the back of the mobo like the

current Corsair ONE does

2. Add 32GB RAM option

3. Add thunderbolt 3 ports so we can be ready for 5K and 8K in 3-4 years

(at least one t-bolt 3 port!)

4. Bonus idea (if you ever create a configurator checkout page): add

3000mhz+ RAM options for all offerings

If I'm going to get the premium 1080ti version, I'm sure most users and customers would agree that the items above would round out the package and remove all reason to go with a custom build mini-ITX or pre-built competitor.

Would you and your team agree based on your assessments of the launch so far? Why or why not?

Thank you for being responsive to us hungry customers on the user forum - awesome to see a company that communicates well and works to make things awesome!

• Corsair Employee

Thank you for your feedback! This is all extremely useful.

Re: Thunderbolt 3 functionality, are you looking specifically at adding an external GPU? 5K and 8K monitors will be supported by future revisions of DisplayPort, so it's reasonable to expect they'll be supported natively by future graphics cards. Thunderbolt 3 is something we've gone back and forth about for a while, so if there are use cases for it and enough users ask about it, it's something we can reevaluate.

Dustin, thank you so much for your answers to this and the other questions today!

To answer your question about Thunderbolt 3, I wasn't thinking about external GPU use, I agree that upgrading the main GPU using Corsair's planned upgrade services would be the better option.

The benefit to adding the Thunderbolt 3 port comes from two thoughts focused on future-proofing:

1. The main reason: compatibility with the myriad Thunderbolt 3 peripherals and accessories coming out in the next 2-5 years (especially as TB3 connectors become common across consumer laptops, some popular smartphones, retail PCs, and accessories). Here's a quick blog advertising Thunderbolt 3 benefits:

2. For my own use cases, I can see this port especially useful in the short term for:

-upcoming external SSD hard drives/storage equipment (fast backups!)

-compatibility with other high end creative/professional equipment like DACs, audio/video studio equipment (I am a musician and compatibility with high-end audio equipment would be awesome)

Let me know if that helps. Thanks again!

• Administrators
Any ball park for when the next TI configurations will be available? This Summer?
Answered here:

The Corsair One Pro with the 1080 Ti, the configuration that we sold on the webstore was a very limited run and will not be restocked. While I can't comment on future configurations, I can tell you that we paid very close attention to how fast those units moved (let alone how fast Corsair One has moved in general).

I said that the specific Corsair One Pro configuration with the 1080 Ti that we sold on the webstore was a limited run. While I can't specifically talk about future configurations, I did not explicitly say we wouldn't produce a Corsair One Pro in the future with a 1080 Ti.

• 2 weeks later...
Although I do agree with the suggestions above, I was wondering how do able it would be for Corsair to do an all AMD ONE. As I do believe that it could be possible for someone to replace parts by hand, I would like to suggest the possibility of Corsair to put a Ryzen 7 1800x in an all new redesigned motherboard to support Ryzen chipsets.Whereas on the other side of AMD might be more dreams than reality, as a water-cooled nor physical variant of the much anticipated Radeon Vega to be mentioned by Corsair, although It would be neat if Corsair were to mention their own Vega once it becomes available and be put in a ONE.

• Corsair Employee

We've played with the idea of a Ryzen-based Corsair ONE a little. My concerns have been:

1. Are people willing to pay $2K+ for an AMD-based system?
  2. Are people willing to take the minor hit to gaming performance?

Remember, all other parts being equal, Ryzen 7 1800X is still a touch slower at gaming than a Core i7-7700K. We also have no idea whether or not Vega is going to be competitive.

Finally, it's been so long since AMD was competitive in the high end that it's tough to say whether or not people will be willing to pony up for a premium AMD-based product. That's not to denigrate Ryzen - Ryzen is freaking awesome - but it's a branding/marketing thing.

Feedback on AMD is most welcome.

Although I do agree with the suggestions above, I was wondering how do able it would be for Corsair to do an all AMD ONE. As I do believe that it could be possible for someone to replace parts by hand, I would like to suggest the possibility of Corsair to put a Ryzen 7 1800x in an all new redesigned motherboard to support Ryzen chipsets.Whereas on the other side of AMD might be more dreams than reality, as a water-cooled nor physical variant of the much anticipated Radeon Vega to be mentioned by Corsair, although It would be neat if Corsair were to mention their own Vega once it becomes available and be put in a ONE.

• 3 weeks later...
We've played with the idea of a Ryzen-based Corsair ONE a little. My concerns have been:

1. Are people willing to pay $2K+ for an AMD-based system?
  2. Are people willing to take the minor hit to gaming performance?

Remember, all other parts being equal, Ryzen 7 1800X is still a touch slower at gaming than a Core i7-7700K. We also have no idea whether or not Vega is going to be competitive.

Finally, it's been so long since AMD was competitive in the high end that it's tough to say whether or not people will be willing to pony up for a premium AMD-based product. That's not to denigrate Ryzen - Ryzen is freaking awesome - but it's a branding/marketing thing.

Feedback on AMD is most welcome.

I am impartial to the brand of chip and care only about reliability and performance. If the performance and reliability are the same, I'm willing to pay the same regardless of the brand of chip used. However, for those who aren't impartial, you might need to reduce the price to incentivize customers who prefer NVIDIA/Intel chips.

That said, for newcomers to the market such as myself, the benefit AMD provides is comparability with FreeSync monitors which are generally priced at a discount compared to G-SYNC. This is especially true in the 4K segment.

I would hope the current focus of the One team is on trying to meet the overwhelming demand for this product before trying something that might not sell. Lots of us (myself included) are patiently waiting to hear when/if the Corsair One Pro Ti will become available again (there seem to be mixed messages on that...) so the priority should be servicing the existing demand.

Coming from a possible (maybe probable) buyer.

Ive been speccing up a diy SFF gaming pc and my build list included the only itx board I could find with thunderbolt 3. Also, 500GB m2 nvme was the first priority storage because apart from being neat to install and great performance, upgrading it later would have been a real pain in a tight SFF chassis with everything having to be pulled out to get to the back of the board depending on the case.... kinda like the ONE. :)

My other suggestion is more of a general one. I think you guys should keep the bulk of the case design for as long as possible, with the minor mods retro fittable. This will add value to the brand for new buyers as well as the previous buyers. Plus, it's a very well thought out and executed case so far as i can tell, so why not.

My feedback would be I'm definitely interested in a Ryzen 7 in the Corsair One. I'm not convinced it'd need to be the 1800x, with water-cooling the 1700 and 1700x equal it or close enough. Personally I'd prefer the 1700x.

Talking about a dream spec then a M.2 would be a great inclusion, for the premium rig (1080 ti territory) I'd prefer something like the 500GB 960 Evo from Samsung and a storage SSD. The old school drives whilst offering large capacity and cheap prices are slower than I'd want on a dream machine, louder than I'd want too. If I'm buying the pinnacle model of an already quite expensive line-up that isn't easy to open and upgrade myself I'd rather pay that bit extra and get HDD's that reflect the premium nature of the device.You can get a good sized SSD for a decent price and it's benefits to me outweigh the additional cost.

32gb of high speed ddr4 ram is a must, Ryzen or Intel.

An additional USB port on the front would be good. A motherboard with as many USB 3.1 and type C ports as possible would be good. I use a lot of peripherals so to me the more the merrier.

If Vega is released and beats the 1080ti, or equals it but has a difference in cost to help offset some of the upgraded items then great. If it's 1080 esque in performance then an option for a cheaper model Inc it would be good but for me the top model should have the top performer, be it the ti or Vega.

Archived