Corsair Community

6 LL fans, only 3 are lighting up.

InkySleeves

I have a Commander Pro with a lighting hub [with 6 LL120 fans attached] and 4 LED strips connected. For no apparent reason fans 1 to 3 are lit but fans 4 to 6 are not, all LED strips are lit. Everything was fine, this has just happened at start up.

Troubleshooting so far:

Everything unplugged and re-plugged.

Lighting hub swapped out for a new one.

Commander Pro firmware force updated [it was already running the latest]

iCUE software uninstalled with settings deleted at the same time, then re-installed.

Fans switched around on both lighting hubs.

Lighting hub and LED strips switched around on the Commander Pro.

None of this has helped; is my Commander Pro faulty, is there anyway to check? I don't have a spare Commander Pro unfortunately so looking for another way to check maybe. I've logged a support ticket with Corsair but experience tells me they don't reply :(:

Yes, all 6 fans show up in iCUE.

If I swap fan 4 to port 1,2 or 3 on the hub it lights up...same for 5 and 6.

So all fans light up when connected to port 1 on the hub, fans 1,2 and 3 are lit on ports 1-3 but nothing from ports 4 to 6.

That would suggest it's the hub but...if I switch out the current hub for a brand new one it is the same story.

...but fans 1 to 3 are all working [lit and spinning] so that would suggest none of the first 3 fans are at fault. If plugged in to ports 1 to 3 ALL fans illuminate as mentioned and they all spin so that would suggest all fans are ok.

Unless it's possible for a fan to spin and illuminate and still be dodgy I don't see it as a fan issue? I just don't know what it is though.

I'm thinking some sort of issue with the Commander Pro but this issue can be replicated with the lighting hub plugged in to LED port 1 or 2 of the CP.

I'm at a complete loss without being able to replace the CP and taking it out of the equation altogether would be difficult due to fan cable routing etc. but it does seem like the next natural troubleshooting step.

a fan can work fine it's self but still be not capable of passing the data on to the next fan dude... move fan 3 to port 6 and put all the rest of the fans before it.. what happens?.. not saying this will fix anything.. but worth the shot ;).. doubt its fan 4 as that works fine in port 1 right?

..and that right there is what I needed, thank you! :D:

To test...I move fan 3 to port 6 and move fans 4, 5 and 6 down one [so fan sequence 1,2,4,5,6,3]. I fire up a sequential profile and I get sequence change 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 3 which means what you've said is spot on. Putting the non-data-passing fan at the end of the sequence solves the problem, with the exception of having to physically move the fan of course.

Now whether to buy a replacement fan or just to move 3 to 6...

Anyway, you've hit the nail on the head so thank you again, without knowing a fan could work but not be capable of being part of chain was the key.

****UPDATE****

In all the fuss of working out what's wrong I forgot about the hard tube water cooled loop surrounding the fans...they're going to stay in the new sequence of 1,2,4,5,6,3 and I'll avoid any sequential profiles until I need to drain the loop, then maybe I'll switch the around or replace No.3 :laughing:

Yes, thanks to both you and c-attack...sometimes it's all in the wording and it was the fact that a fan can work but not pass data that made everything fall in to place.

I'm going to look so damn knowledgeable when I see someone else with this issue:biggrin: lol

Archived