Corsair Community

Corsair CS450M experiences

kroni1

I bought a CS450M PSU a couple months ago, changed from an older VX450W. My first impressions are positive, I was a bit afraid of the GreatWall inside, but it works fine, as quiet as the VX, and consumes 8-10W less than that in Idle, and much less under load! The only strange thing is a clearly hearable "clicking" noise, (like a switching relay) when power off my computer. Is this normal in this model? Cause I haven't experience anything like that in any of my PSU-s before..

• Corsair Employee
I bought a CS450M PSU a couple months ago, changed from an older VX450W. My first impressions are positive, I was a bit afraid of the GreatWall inside....

Why?

The only strange thing is a clearly hearable "clicking" noise, (like a switching relay) when power off my computer. Is this normal in this model? Cause I haven't experience anything like that in any of my PSU-s before..

On most more efficient power supplies, the +5VSB circuit switches back and forth between a separate +5VSB power source that operates only when the PC is "off" and the main +5V rail that other components use while the PC is on. This click is the relay that is doing the switching between the two rails.

Thanks for your answer, I'm happy to hear that!

(I needed a haswell compatible PSU, and wanted to stay with corsair. In the biggest hungarian forum the general opinion is that the newest corsair PSUs may not be as reliable as the older ones were with seasonic parts. I did some research, and realized that this is bull&hit, the biggest PSU testing sites all recommend these new corsair PSU-s as well. This CS450M seemed to be the best solution for my purposes, and I'm very pleased with it!)

• Corsair Employee
Thanks for your answer, I'm happy to hear that!

(I needed a haswell compatible PSU, and wanted to stay with corsair. In the biggest hungarian forum the general opinion is that the newest corsair PSUs may not be as reliable as the older ones were with seasonic parts. I did some research, and realized that this is bull&hit, the biggest PSU testing sites all recommend these new corsair PSU-s as well. This CS450M seemed to be the best solution for my purposes, and I'm very pleased with it!)

If your friends in Hungary think Seasonic made units are any more reliable, just have a look in this forum about all of the HX650 and AX750, 760, 850 and 860 problems. :(

Not to say they are more problematic than any other brand, because these are company forums and the bulk of the posts are "my stuff doesn't work", but I'll put Great Wall's QC up against Seasonic's any day of the week.

Archived