The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-13-2003, 04:06 PM

POST ID # = 78096
nurbs_x Reputation: 10
Send a message via AIM to nurbs_x

Thanks a lot andrew! I am not sure if this fixed my problem yet, I need to do more testing. Anyways, thanks a bunch. We'll see what happens. :)

Old 09-14-2003, 02:19 AM

POST ID # = 78149
andrew82 Reputation: 10
Default Guarded Optimism

I opened up my computer to make sure everything was connected well and the like. (Appeared to be fine.) Then, I updated my BIOS to 1008, then 1009, then 1010, and lastly 1011.

Since doing so, my computer hasn't locked up. I'm afraid to get my hopes up. But, my computer has successfully been idle for three extended periods.

I'll post again when the final verdict is in. But, for now, anyone who's having similar problems should definitely update their BIOS. ALSO, it would also seem that it DOES make a difference if you update all the BIOS updates consecutively, as opposed to jumping straight to the latest one.

Old 09-18-2003, 12:28 PM

POST ID # = 79271
Kurtzy Reputation: 10

I’ve been having a very similar problem to those listed here with the same hardware. I tried upgrading my bios in the correct order but still got 266 errors in 44 passes.

Does anyone know if there is a difference between updating the bios using alt-F2 as apposed to updating it from a boot disk/command prompt? I used a boot disk for each update (8 then 9 then 10 then 11). Back a few posts, Almighty1 specifically said to update with 1008 from the commend prompt and then use the alt F2 built in Flash option to update 1009-1011. Does the fact that I updated using command prompt make a difference? Or should it give the same results? I ask because I noticed when you update via command prompt it says “deleting flash” and I’m wondering if that removes the previous update or something?

Thanks!

Kurtzy

Old 09-18-2003, 12:31 PM
Banned

POST ID # = 79273
Yellowbeard Reputation: 46

It should not make a difference as usually a flash either works or it does not. One thing though, the 1008 Final was an executable file to be run from a DOS prompt, something like P4C800.exe or something like that.

Thing is, there is about 3-5 different ways to flash with the AMI bios' and not all will flash with each method. While you are still trying, I would revert to 1008 Final and try running it for a bit just to see if it helps.

Mike

Old 09-18-2003, 03:08 PM

POST ID # = 79327
Default Problem Solved!

After several days of testing, I am prepared to pronounce my problem solved (praise God!).

Here's what I did: I opened up my computer to check all the connections to make sure they were secure. They were. Then, I updated the BIOS from 1008 to 1011 in order. After doing that, everything worked fine. Then, I plugged back in my two USB devices which I hadn't yet plugged back in after I took my case apart. After doing that, my problems re-appeared; the computer would freeze when idle. So, I said, "ah ha...so it's the USB" and proceeded to unplug them. Presto! Problem gone again.

Now, I thought that I had tried unplugging the USB devices before and that it didn't solve the problem. So, it may be that I had two problems: BIOS and USB devices.

At any rate, my computer is working just fine without my printer and scanner plugged in. So now, the question is how do I get my non USB 2.0 printer/scanner to work? I'm going to try going into the BIOS and setting the USB 2.0 to run at "FullSpeed", which is apparently the speed of USB 1.1. Perhaps that will solve the problem. If not, I guess I'll have to use parallel for the printer and sacrifice my scanner and get a new one (which stinks).

Thanks to everyone for their help. It was much appreciated!

Old 09-18-2003, 03:11 PM

POST ID # = 79329
Glyphrunner Reputation: 10

Do you have intel application accelerator installed?

If yes, that is probably the cause. I had it with a similar setup too a week ago.

Try a format and a fresh install without this intel stuff. It helped for me...

Old 09-18-2003, 03:22 PM
Banned

POST ID # = 79331

Quote:
Originally posted by Glyphrunner
Do you have intel application accelerator installed?

If yes, that is probably the cause. I had it with a similar setup too a week ago.

Try a format and a fresh install without this intel stuff. It helped for me...
Good point about the Intel App Accel but, DON'T leave off the Intel Chipset Inf Drivers. I would try 2 things to resolve the USB issue.
1. Completely uninstall and reinstall EVERYTHING to do with your USB controller and the USB devices. Also, go to the Asus site and get the latest drivers. By the way, have you tried different USB ports on your system and are you using the front case ports on your case. I have seen USB issues where the front ports are not fully USB 2.0 compliant even though they are advertised as such. If you are using your front ports, try the rear ones or vice versa.

2. Reinstall Windows either with or without the Intel App Accel. Try THIS WINDOWS INSTALLATION GUIDE

It is well tested, VERY methodic, and has solved many issues, like probably 1000s of issues. Let us know, at least your system is stable other than the USB deal. Let us know if you fix the USB issue.

Good luck, Mike

Old 09-18-2003, 03:25 PM
Banned

POST ID # = 79332

By the way Andrew, how did you flash the 1008 Final? Did you use the executable version from DOS or use EZ Flash or what? I'm thinking it may make a difference one way or another.

Mike

Old 09-18-2003, 04:43 PM

POST ID # = 79345
Post BIOS Flash Method

To update my BIOS, I used the Alt + F2 method for all versions. I read somewhere that method was the best way to do it. Do you think I should have done it differently?

Thanks for the post to the XP setup guide. I was already planning on wiping my HD and re-installing this weekend. So, I will definitely use the guide to help with that.

Old 09-18-2003, 06:06 PM
Banned

POST ID # = 79373

There were boldly typed warnings on all the Asus/AMI bios' about specific instructions. The 1008 Final came out as an executable. But, if you flashed succesfully, I'd leave it alone. In the future though, read the little attached files because some people reported bad flashes and then went back and read the attachment.

Good luck and let us know if you solve the USB issue. By the way, did you answer the part about the USB ports from my last post? I'm very curious.

Mike.

Old 09-18-2003, 11:39 PM

POST ID # = 79429

Well that's a good warning. The version I downloaded just had a .ROM file, like all the others. Perhaps I didn't really get the Final release of 1008. But, it seems to be working, so I won't mess with it unless I have to.

Old 09-20-2003, 03:37 AM

POST ID # = 79580
phishhead Reputation: 10

i just got a question
i got a p4c800 and i need to set my ram timings to 2-2-3-6 but i am not sure what those numbers mean and how to set them, can somebody explain. thanks.

Old 09-20-2003, 04:22 AM

POST ID # = 79584
Frag-e-Delic Reputation: 10

In the BIOS, go to the Advanced Tab, then Chipset and use these settings:

Configure DRAM Timings by SPD : Disabled

DRAM Cas Latency : 2
DRAM Ras Precharge : 2
RAS to CAS : 3
DRAM Precharge : 6
Burst Lenght : 8

I can't give the exact explanation of the numbers, but I know that the lower the numbers the better the result will be. But on this motherboard 2-3-2-6 (2-2-3-6 in the BIOS) are the lowest possible.

Old 09-23-2003, 10:02 AM
LA Fred's PC Specs

POST ID # = 80084
LA Fred Reputation: 10
Question

What happened to nurbs_x? This is his thread. Did he ever solve his problem(s)? I want to buy an ASUS P4C800 Deluxe MB, but am waiting to see if he ever got things right. I figure that with all of the help he was getting, if he didn’t get it running, then I should be looking for some other board.

Old 09-23-2003, 10:59 AM
Banned

POST ID # = 80092

LA Fred, from what I have read/seen here and at other forums, the Asus P4C800 Deluxe or Deluxe E MOBOs are hands down the fastest, most stable, trouble free Canterwood MOBOs available right now. There are very few complaints. It is a solid choice.

Mike.