Corsair Community

Asus P4C800 Deluxe crash problems

nurbs_x

I had a similar problem. A couple of days ago I started playing with a new computer with the following configuration: P4 3.0C 800 MHz FSB; Asus P4C800-E Motherboard; Corsair TWINX1024-PC3200LL (two 512 MB v1.2 modules); ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB; Antec 430 W PSU. The memory latencies were set to SPD, and they were 2.5-3-2-6 according to CPU-Z, and all the voltages were set to AUTO. Then I tried to set latencies to the values Corsair tested them to, which are 2-3-2-6 as they stated in a piece of marketing crap (sorry Corsair, but it is) they call The Specification. Every time I changed the settings I tested them with Memtest86. I would strongly recommend of testing your memory with Memtest86 if you are not completely convinced in stability of your system. If your system shows even very rare memory errors, running an OS would be like a Russian roulette because everything can get corrupted including the content of your hard drive, and these errors will only accumulate if you keep the system running. I heard quite a few horror stories about weird behaviour of computers when they worked perfectly for some time, but after a while they started experiencing sudden freezes and restarts. In my opinion the most probable cause is random memory errors. I was able to set the latencies to 2-3-2-5. When I set 2-2-2-5, the computer could not reboot at all, and I had to clean the CMOS. But the 2-3-2-5 setting was not completely reliable. Memtest86 in the standard configuration continuously runs a sequence of different tests from #1 to #6 (or #7?). First few passes of the test sequence were clean, but at a certain moment test #5 (always #5) started showing errors. I tried different combinations of values up to 2-3-3-7, and the results were practically the same. To reduce the testing time I ran only test #5. I would say it is a very intensive test. During it the temperature of modules rose from 36 to 47 degrees Celsius. And the errors started popping up after the 15th – 20th pass. It means that running Windows you may not notice that the memory doesn't work reliably until you run a very memory intensive application. Ram Guy says that increasing the DRAM voltage to 2.75 V may help, so I tried this. I started with 2.65 V, but it just made the situation a little worse. The errors started appearing earlier. Then I set the voltage to 2.75 V, and it took only 2 passes to show errors. Having noticed the trend I set the DRAM voltage to 2.55 V and ran the test #5 for about 1 hour (more than 50 passes). There were no errors and the temperature of the memory modules did not exceed 43 degrees Celsius. Only after that I dared to boot WinXP. It's been running for a half a day. So far so good. I'm just curious what the DRAM voltage is when you set it to AUTO. Does somebody know?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I updated to the 1010 bios.. No change. However, I could not find the 1008 bios to flash to first. ASUS appears to only host the latest files on their FTP. No luck on finding it with google, either. specmike, you got a link maybe? I have also tried playing with the voltage. At 2.55 memtest produces less errors, and the system might be more stable, but its hard to tell because I still get random resets. <sigh> Anyone else having any luck?

• Corsair Employee
When you go to ASUS download page for the memory you have to scroll down under All and you should see the BIOS’s, But you should check the revision history. And ASUS normally turns off the FTP when they are updating one of the sites. But as Specmike stated you may have to flash back to another version and I would check the memory on another MB if possible with [url]www.memtest86.com[/url] to be sure. Ram Guy

I hunted around and found the FTP location for downloading the all the BIOS updates for the Asus motherboards. (It was under Global and not USA.) For the P4C800-E DELUXE, go to: [url]ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/sock478/P4C800E-DX/[/url] For other boards, you can go to: [url]ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/sock478/[/url] I downloaded the 1008 and 1011 updates. We'll see what happens when I apply them.

Hello, I had similar randmom crash problems with my P4C800 Deluxe, but I found a solution, that works fine for me: updating the Intel Chipset Driver Utility to version 5.02 (which supports the USB 2.0 Controller) solved my problems, there was no crash afterwards Greetings S System: P4 2.8 Ghz 800 FSB 2* 512 MB Corsair 3200 LL P4C 800 Deluxe BIOS 1011 120 GB Seagate Serial ATA HDD Radeon 9800 PRO

Ok, so I updated my BIOS first to 1008 and then to 1011. Same problem of system freezing as before. What's left to try now? I tried looking for the Intel Chipset Driver Utility v5.02, but could not find it on the Asus website. Also, is the driver update the same for the E version of the motherboard? What would cause the computer to freeze when idle?? Intensive CPU tests and RAM tests don't seem to find any problems. Is there any other probable hardware cause? How would I test the motherboar itself? (But wouldn't a motherboard problem show up at more times than just during system being idle?) Frankly, I'm beginning to get genuinly frustrated here. My old 800Mhz Gateway was slow, but at least it didn't freeze all the time!

• Corsair Employee
We are sorry you are having trouble with our memory, Let's try replacing your modules, Please send us a email with a copy of the [URL=http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/rma_request.xls]form[/URL] or all of your info name address and phone# and the Module part# and copy the link to this post and email it to [email]Rma@corsairmicro.com[/email]. Or you can also use the [URL=http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/rma_request.html]On Line RMA Request Form[/URL] as well. If after 1 day or 24 hours excluding weekends you do not get the rma please email the same to [email]warranty@corsairmicro.com[/email] and we will help to resolve it. Ram Guy

Specs: Asus p4c800 deluxe 800mhz bus p4 2.6c HT Twinx corsair 3200llpt (2x 256 mb) 400W PSU 120Gb Seagate HD Ati Radeon 9600 pro My computer radomy restarts and crashes all the time mostly when i start up my computer, and especially when i play a game, if i can ever get a chance to install one. Windows error report says that it is from a memory error and suggested their windows memory diagnostic tool, which i used and it game me hundreds of errors, i also used the memorey tester at [url]www.memtest86.com[/url] site that was previously suggested. that one gave me just as many errors also. i am assuming that it is the ram that is the problem, is there any way to fix this or is my ram broken and should be returned thanks in advance

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by phishhead [/i] [B]Specs: Asus p4c800 deluxe 800mhz bus p4 2.6c HT Twinx corsair 3200llpt (2x 256 mb) 400W PSU 120Gb Seagate HD Ati Radeon 9600 pro My computer radomy restarts and crashes all the time mostly when i start up my computer, and especially when i play a game, if i can ever get a chance to install one. Windows error report says that it is from a memory error and suggested their windows memory diagnostic tool, which i used and it game me hundreds of errors, i also used the memorey tester at [url]www.memtest86.com[/url] site that was previously suggested. that one gave me just as many errors also. i am assuming that it is the ram that is the problem, is there any way to fix this or is my ram broken and should be returned thanks in advance [/B][/QUOTE] Welcome to the forum. What are your RAM timings, your voltages, and other bios settings set to? Mike

• Corsair Employee
I would suggest that you test the modules again but please make sure you have the latest bios and that you have followed the read me files for each version you have flashed. If not it can cause this error. If suspected I would test the modules in another MB. Please load setup defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.75 Volts and Disable Legacy USB Support and please do not set any of the performance options and test the modules again if you still get errors then test them one at a time. Ram Guy

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by andrew82 [/i] [B]Ok, so I updated my BIOS first to 1008 and then to 1011. Same problem of system freezing as before. What's left to try now? I tried looking for the Intel Chipset Driver Utility v5.02, but could not find it on the Asus website. Also, is the driver update the same for the E version of the motherboard? What would cause the computer to freeze when idle?? Intensive CPU tests and RAM tests don't seem to find any problems. Is there any other probable hardware cause? How would I test the motherboar itself? (But wouldn't a motherboard problem show up at more times than just during system being idle?) Frankly, I'm beginning to get genuinly frustrated here. My old 800Mhz Gateway was slow, but at least it didn't freeze all the time! [/B][/QUOTE] The problem is the way you updated the BIOSes won't work. 1008 has to be loaded and updated using DOS as stated in their directions. Then you have to do 1009, 1010, and 1011 using the ALT-F2 built in flasher. You can't skip from 1008 directly to the highest version as ASUS for one reason or another doesn't have all updates in the flash so 1009 only updates part of the stuff while 1010 updates another part, same with 1011.

Good advice, Almighty1. I'll re-flash my bios, but I can't find the BIOS for 1009. I've downloaded 1008, 1010, and 1011, but can't find 1009. Does anybody have a copy? Also, I applied the Intel Chipset update described above, but that didn't help any. I've contacted Asus tech. support. We'll see what they have to say.

I have the same problem as andrew82, except I cannot even find version 1008 either, only 1010 and 1011. I have looked all over Asus' FTP ( ftp.asus.com.tw ) and their downloads page (under 'All' and under 'Bios'). I am not sure where you guys are finding these bioses. Also, be aware that my particular motherboard is the P4C800 Deluxe. Some of you have the E version and that definitely makes a difference when it comes to bios roms.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by nurbs_x [/i] [B]I have the same problem as andrew82, except I cannot even find version 1008 either, only 1010 and 1011. I have looked all over Asus' FTP ( ftp.asus.com.tw ) and their downloads page (under 'All' and under 'Bios'). I am not sure where you guys are finding these bioses. Also, be aware that my particular motherboard is the P4C800 Deluxe. Some of you have the E version and that definitely makes a difference when it comes to bios roms. [/B][/QUOTE] I have the ZIP file of 1008 Final for the P4C800 NON-E. Email me if you want me to send it to you. Mike.

I posted my question on a half dozen or more message boards to see if anyone out there might have a solution. One of the guys posted this link to download BIOS updates for motherboards. I found the 1008, 1009, 1010, 1011 BIOS updates for the Asus P4C800-E Deluxe, and the site also has updates for other Asus motherboards. [url]ftp://ftp.cizgi.com.tr/pub/ASUS/mb/sock478[/url] This site is worth bookmarking for future needs!

I opened up my computer to make sure everything was connected well and the like. (Appeared to be fine.) Then, I updated my BIOS to 1008, then 1009, then 1010, and lastly 1011. Since doing so, my computer hasn't locked up. I'm afraid to get my hopes up. But, my computer has successfully been idle for three extended periods. I'll post again when the final verdict is in. But, for now, anyone who's having similar problems should definitely update their BIOS. ALSO, it would also seem that it DOES make a difference if you update all the BIOS updates consecutively, as opposed to jumping straight to the latest one.

I’ve been having a very similar problem to those listed here with the same hardware. I tried upgrading my bios in the correct order but still got 266 errors in 44 passes. Does anyone know if there is a difference between updating the bios using alt-F2 as apposed to updating it from a boot disk/command prompt? I used a boot disk for each update (8 then 9 then 10 then 11). Back a few posts, Almighty1 specifically said to update with 1008 from the commend prompt and then use the alt F2 built in Flash option to update 1009-1011. Does the fact that I updated using command prompt make a difference? Or should it give the same results? I ask because I noticed when you update via command prompt it says “deleting flash” and I’m wondering if that removes the previous update or something? Thanks! Kurtzy

It should not make a difference as usually a flash either works or it does not. One thing though, the 1008 Final was an executable file to be run from a DOS prompt, something like P4C800.exe or something like that. Thing is, there is about 3-5 different ways to flash with the AMI bios' and not all will flash with each method. While you are still trying, I would revert to 1008 Final and try running it for a bit just to see if it helps. Mike

After several days of testing, I am prepared to pronounce my problem solved (praise God!). Here's what I did: I opened up my computer to check all the connections to make sure they were secure. They were. Then, I updated the BIOS from 1008 to 1011 in order. After doing that, everything worked fine. Then, I plugged back in my two USB devices which I hadn't yet plugged back in after I took my case apart. After doing that, my problems re-appeared; the computer would freeze when idle. So, I said, "ah ha...so it's the USB" and proceeded to unplug them. Presto! Problem gone again. Now, I thought that I had tried unplugging the USB devices before and that it didn't solve the problem. So, it may be that I had two problems: BIOS and USB devices. At any rate, my computer is working just fine without my printer and scanner plugged in. So now, the question is how do I get my non USB 2.0 printer/scanner to work? I'm going to try going into the BIOS and setting the USB 2.0 to run at "FullSpeed", which is apparently the speed of USB 1.1. Perhaps that will solve the problem. If not, I guess I'll have to use parallel for the printer and sacrifice my scanner and get a new one (which stinks). Thanks to everyone for their help. It was much appreciated!

Archived