Corsair Community

AF120's on a H100i

guma822

Alright here's the problem, and before you all yell at me just hear me out. I recently bought 3 AF120 Performance Editions and 2 SP120 Performance Editions for my 800D case. The SP120's were for my H50 (I know it's old), and the AF120's were for the top of my case (I had 2 as intake and 1 exhaust, actually cooled down my video cards by about 10 degrees). But my problem that I found out was that my motherboard no longer could control the fans for my CPU, so they all run at max speed and are loud. So I want to fix this.

I just ordered a new H100i to replace my H50, as well as a Corsair Link Cooling Kit, and Lighting node, extra cooling node, and GPU node (They had a special, I don't even know what the GPU node does, but I digress). My dilemma is that the H100i will be mounted on the top of the case, whereas my H50 was on the back in push/pull with the SP120's. I plan to use a push/pull config with the H100i. I wanted to use the SP120's for pushing (replacing the stock SP120L's), and the AF120's for pulling, and have the 3rd AF120 in the last top spot (maybe for intake). IS THIS ABSOLUTELY A NO NO?? Pretty much I don't want my brand new AF120's to go to waste, there's really no other spots in the case for them. Also I'm hoping Corsair Link can control all these fans so they aren't running at max all the time.

TL;DR - I want to use 2 SP120's to push and 2 AF120's to pull a H100i, is this alright?

well the AF (air flow) series is meant for unrestricted air flow, like a top exhaust fan, whereas the SP (static pressure) series is meant to be against something like a radiator and is able to push or pull the air from this close surface more efficiently due to the higher static pressure. That's why I figured if I at least put the 2 SP fans in the push configuration and the AF fans in the pull, it might be alright. the SP fans are being used properly, but it's the AF fans that are not meant to be against the radiator, so they probably won't be as efficient as they should be, but they should do something right? It's either that or I put them in a box and store them someplace, I just bought them, before realizing I was going to upgrade to a H100i

it's more about the fact that I spent 30 bucks on these fans 2 weeks ago and I already have no use for them, also I hear that the stock SP120L fans are even louder that the regular SP120 PE fans, therefore I might have to buy 2 additional ones. That's 60 bucks I'd rather not have wasted, especially considering I'm now dropping around 200 bucks for the H100i and the cooling kit, cause with these new fans I can no longer control them with my motherboard

Oh those SP120L's are extremely loud at max rpm. I believe its about 2700.

BUT is you bring the SP120L's down to 2300 rpm to match the SP120's max rpm they make the same amount of noise. Well at least to my ear. Dont have a db meter.

You cant use the the AF120's on your case?

You cant use the the AF120's on your case?

Not really, the only real spots on the 800D for 120 fans are on the top. The rest of the spots are for the 140 fans. I could put them there, but I'd rather use the 140's. There's also 1 other spot in the bottom right corner of the case that accepts a 120, but it's really a useless spot, I have nothing in the lower bay to be cooled, so it would just be there making noise

Archived