Corsair Community

HX650 Fan Constantly Spinning Up And Down

Ghirigoro

I have a brand new HX650 power supply where the fan constantly starts to spin up to a regular speed and then immediately spins back down to a stop (it takes about a second to spin up and then another second to spin down). I imagine the unit is designed to always be spinning instead of alternating between stopped and spinning, and also it makes a really annoying sound as it spins up and down. Is this something that can be fixed or is it just a faulty unit?

Its normal, the sound is a little weird but is normal.

"Basic PC power supplies have fans that spin whenever your PC is on – whether you’re pushing your graphics card to the limit or just surfing the web. HX Series power supplies are smarter than that: they generate less heat, so they require less cooling, and the thermally controlled fan only spins when it’s needed."

pulled straight from corsairs site

link provided here

http://www.corsair.com/en/power-supply-units/hx-series-power-supply-units/hx-series-hx650-power-supply-650-watt-80-plus-gold-certified-modular-psu.html

• Corsair Employee
I agree that is not normal the fan will turn on and off as needed but every second or two spinning up and back down would not be normal. It should come on when ever the load is above 40% and when the internal temp is about 49 Deg C. I would suggest we go ahead and replace it, please use the link on the left and request an RMA and let's try replacing the unit.

Thanks for the response and I'm glad to hear the power supply is not supposed to work like that. Your site says the RMA process takes up to 5 days plus shipping times. Since that could leave me without my computer for a couple of weeks I was wondering if there's a way to have (I'd be happy to provide a credit card number you can charge in case I don't return the defective part in time or else purchase a new one and be refunded when you receive the defective one).

• 7 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Archived