Corsair Community

Pre-TX750W question before I buy

Danbo342

Hello gents,

I have an older rig that I'm resurrecting for my brother. It was a beast back in it's day but being older it has some older (power hungry) components. The specs I put in my newly registered details are that of my own and this build is something completely different. I have confirmed everything is still 100% operational but my attempts to upgrade the PSU failed so far 1\1 (it has a working PSU but is really in need of replacement).

The specs of it before the question:

• AMD FX-60
  • Asus A8N-SLI 32 Deluxe
  • 2# WD 250gb, 7200 in Raid 0 (Not sure the model off the top of my head and not important to this question).
  • Koolance Exos2
  • Asus Dvd writer
  • 2 gb Corsair DDR 400
  • Vista 64 Ult
  • GTX 260 (I had two 7800's in it and ripped them and tossed my dust collecting 260 in)

Ok, other than the above, I imagine my brother will add a usb game controller, most likely Xbox style, and that's about it.

Now for the question. My question is simple, yet complex at the same time. I just returned a PSU that had "short circuit protection" from another vendor. Upon installing the other PSU, I would get an issue where the comp would reboot (no this is not the same as the other threads, trust me). After returning it just today, a light bulb went off that may explain the problem and it being in how the PSU does it's "short circuit protection".

The question is how exactly does this short circuit protection work? What is it looking for? Crossed wires? Overloaded circuits? Or continuity issues?

The reason I ask is that this computer has the Koolance Exos2. It connects via 4 pin molex connector, however it only uses the +12v and one ground. Could this at all be seen as a short circuit?

Other than that I have completely checked the rig and she's tip top, just old. I'm actually surprised at how great it performs still and for my brother it will most likely be used to watch picture slide shows or maybe an occasional "Windows" game of minesweeper...

I can't see why this would be an issue, but it is a concern none the less.

Anywho, here's a picture of the connection that causes concern with what I intend to get for a PSU. (PS. This supposedly runs max at 60w).

http://partyatdans.com/Pix/Support/exos.jpg

*Before anyone says I should build a new comp and blah blah blah, no, this one is in my way, he needs a comp, I'm now unemployed so a PSU is more than I can afford, but want to be sure I'm getting one that won't be the limiting factor either.

Thanks for your time,

~Dan

Thanks for the reply, but regardless of PSU wattage, the prices are about the same. Either I buy crap for less, wait a month and have to deal with it, or get this. I have well over 1500 builds under my belt and know not to skimp a couple dollars for quality.

I tried one effort to save a decent amount of cash. That has now been RMA'd and I even got it pulled from Newegg, proving that it is actually a 500 at best and not the higher spec they claimed.

The only thing I would allow myself to get other than this is the OCZ 750 and this is only $5 more and a better PSU, both on paper, and capacitors (by far). I may also replace the other guts down the road and rather it be ready, but it's really dependability I'm buying too. 5 year warranty or crap at half price that will certainly die pushing even this older hardware. This older hardware is actually much more taxing then new hardware. It was back when more power meant,,, more power.

Anywho, I still need to know about the short circuit question since it's why I posted and a lot of Corsairs have it.

Offtopic, interesting server name there in your sig.

I didn't know Corsair had a team. Even more reason to stick with them.

• Corsair Employee

All current production PSU's on the market use short protection and it is designed into the ATX 2.3 Specification that we are currently building our PSU's to. And all ATX designs have had this feature since ATX 2.0. The MB you have however is an older MB and may require an older ATX specification like ATX 1.3 or 2.03 to operate properly. I would suggest checking with the MB manufacturer for the the ATX specification the MB was manufacturer to for the power supply.

In addition, in reference to the email you sent to us; our contact information is and always has been listed under Contact on our web site, so it is not required to post on the forum to get an answer.

Offtopic, interesting server name there in your sig.

I didn't know Corsair had a team. Even more reason to stick with them.

Do you mean BF3? It's not a team, just a link to their sever and my server (which I have to update in my sig).

All current production PSU's on the market use short protection and it is designed into the ATX 2.3 Specification that we are currently building our PSU's to. And all ATX designs have had this feature since ATX 2.0. The MB you have however is an older MB and may require an older ATX specification like ATX 1.3 or 2.03 to operate properly. I would suggest checking with the MB manufacturer for the the ATX specification the MB was manufacturer to for the power supply.

In addition, in reference to the email you sent to us; our contact information is and always has been listed under Contact on our web site, so it is not required to post on the forum to get an answer.

Thanks for the info, now how's about an answer to my question on how exactly it is looking for "Shorts". To put it simpler, like I already did,,, with the two wires only, will it see this as a short? The older board by the way can handle the new ATX specifications fine, I already did my research on that. If you do not know the answer to my actual question then let me know who better to contact. I don't need smoke, I need answers to what I've asked.

Thanks

Do you mean BF3? It's not a team, just a link to their sever and my server (which I have to update in my sig).

Yes, the BF3. I was just joking about it is all.

• Corsair Employee

Okay well here is some more smoke then!

Computer power supplies may have short circuit protection, overpower (overload) protection, overvoltage protection, undervoltage protection, overcurrent protection, and over temperature protection.

Multiple +12 V rails

As power supply capacity increased, the ATX power supply standard was amended (beginning with version 2.0[2]) to include:

3.2.4. Power Limit / Hazardous Energy Levels

Under normal or overload conditions, no output shall continuously provide more than 240

VA under any conditions of load including output short circuit, per the requirement of UL 1950/​CSA 950/​EN 60950/​IEC 950.

The current protection circuit includes the MB and the MB will normally initiate this as soon as standby voltage is applied if a short detected the PSU will not be allowed to powered on.

Archived