Corsair Community

PSU reeboting system while watching movies

murzar

I had bought a new system a month back.. after listening to everyone's advice, I decided to dump my generic psu and buy a corsair CX 430. Everything seemed fine till I started videos. I would play for 2 to 3 mins and then the system would restart without a warning. The same thing happens while playing games as well but it would only restart after 30 to 40 mins. Everything else is fine, my computer is on the whole day and I can browse. I even tried using the OCCT software and did the PSU test for 40 mins and even then it didn't restart.

I have the problem only while watching any video or sometimes while playing games. When I put in the old generic psu back, it worked fine, no more problems. I find it weird that the psu would restart my system while playing non-demanding movie and yet survive a torture test.

both the 24 and 4 pin plugs are connected right? yes its a silly question but you wouldnt believe how often the 4/8 pin connector is overlooked.

you can try resetting your bios to defaults, it helps even with PSUs sometimes.

have you checked for newer drivers for the board? im assuming you use the onboard video?

Yes, both the pins are connected right. Wouldn't incorrect connections short the system(?), so yeah.. guessing it is placed right.

I have tried resetting the bios to default. Did nothing.

I have updated my bios, my chipset drivers and vga drivers (no new updates listed on the asus site but i reinstalled them) since the problem occured. Yes, I use the onboard video.

I don't know if this helps but I have a IDE drive and a SATA drive. The IDE is listed as primary IDE and no slave (need to buy a new optical drive) the SATA is listed as SATA 1 and the configuration is listed as Enhanced with 'SATA' as the option.

The restart occurs only when I play a video or start a game (very old ones - 2005).

I was planning on buying a graphics card.. that was the original point of buying a new psu.

Right now, i am using my old psu once again. No restarts till now, can watch videos and play my old games all fine.. will guy a graphics card (HD 6670 1gb gddr5) today and try it with the cx430.

Thanks.

I did some tinkering around.. disabling direct draw (from the dx diagnostic tool) solves the problem. But I have to disable direct draw only (which disable direct 3d as well), if i only disable direct 3d, the comp still crashes while watching videos!

BUT, i don't have that problem on my old generic psu (450w) where i don't have to disable direct draw to make videos play! This is so freaky! I think my corsair cx430 psu is haunted. :|

While going through.. i noticed that both 3.3v and 5v on my old psu are rated at 30A while it is only 20A on the corsair, can the problem occur due to low power on these particular rails?

• 2 weeks later...

Not knowing what video card you are using. Well here is my method of picking the wattage of a power supply.

If the card you get recommends 500W power supply that is the starting point.

500W plus 100W. Any power supply that you don't have to work at the top end will run cooler, last longer. Power supplies running in their mid range put out a smother amp and volt. If you are looking forward like many another 100W so you can add things later without updating your power supply. A little over kill, maybe but the cost between 430W and 650W is not much. I have more power supply than I need now, (AX-850) but later when I do add something no problem I got the power. My method has not been tested by any scientist. Just a recommendation from me.

He is using the onboard graphics of the G41 chipset, as far as I can tell.

A separate graphics card will use mostly if not only 12V power, so if the issue is insufficient power on the 3.3 or 5V rails for the on-board graphics chip, you shouldn't have an issue with a new card and the Corsair PS.

Archived