Corsair Community

Question Regarding a MemTest86 result?

Konig-Wolf

Hello,

Over the weekened, I built a new computer (you can see the specs in my profile), and thus far, it's been working awesome. I followed the settings I found here for my memory modules, and everything went off without a hitch...the computer passed eight hours of MemTest86, Prime95, and Orthos2004 each...no errors, no glitches, no problems.

However, when I looked at MemTest, I did notice one thing that was odd...where it displays the settings for your memory, the mhz speed was correct, but then next to it, it displayed "DDR1 128-bit 1-6-7" which obviously isn't my RAMs timings....but, the memory passed MemTest without issue, so I'm wondering if it's just some odd error that has no bearing on my configuration?

Any insight would be appreciated, and I'll post some pictures later today if needed. Thanks in advance.

128 Bit = Dual Channel and 64 Bit is single channel, more than likely the MB BIOS or memtest will have to be updated to correct the other things that were listed.

So it shouldn't be an issue for me regarding stability and whatnot, correct? If so, that's great news. This build is really kicking butt for a great price point, so I'm a very happy camper.

could be mistaken here, but have you set your memory speed to 200mhz in the bios?

try set that to 400mhz and post cpu-z screenshot of the memory tab.

When I set the RAM at 400mhz, I got an error in Prime95's blend stress test. The ratio also became 1:2 FSB:DRAM...I always thought having the ratio at 1:1 was best for stability?

I would load setup defaults in the BIOS setup and then set the tested settings manually at 2.1 Volts.

When first installed, the RAM defaults to 5-5-5-18, at 1.8v. I then went in the BIOS using the settings I found here, and set the speed to 200mhz, and the timings to 4-4-4-12 at 2.1v. In both of these configurations, the RAM does fine, but I get the weird displayed value in Memtest.

Did you load setup defaults before you made the changes and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and do you get any errors in http://www.memtest.org with legacy USB Disabled?

Yes, I loaded the setup defaults first, made sure everything was working on the bench, then I changed the settings up to the specs I found here.

I haven't tried testing Memtest 86 with Legacy USB disabled, but I didn't get any errors in Memtest with the default or Corsair-specified settings. The only problem I had was in Memtest it displaying the strange speed information for my RAM, saying it was DDR1. Otherwise, I haven't gotten any memory errors.

The only time I got any errors with the memory was when I had the clock set to 400mhz in the BIOS. CPU-Z said the ratio of memory speed to front-side bus speed was 2:1, and Prime95 had an error about an hour in under that setting. When I put the memory clock to 200mhz in the BIOS, it showed the 1:1 ratio, and Prime95 had no errors whatsoever. The computer runs fast and stable, getting all 5.9 scores in the Windows Experience Index, and getting a 3DMark06 score of 10,495. That should be about right for this setup, correct?

With this MB the memory ratio will be 1-2 and please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org at the tested settings.

I changed the clock speed, and disabled USB Legacy Support, and ran Memtest for each stick. No errors in Memtest, but I still got the weird reading of the speed in Memtest (DDR1 128-bit 1-6-7). Everything else is working fine. I'll run Prime95 later tonight and see if I get any errors.

CPU-Z_SS07.jpg.02bb9f7e130b683d79d931f24655e6af.jpg

CPU-Z_SS08.jpg.739a7f3268e75a40a9f96751f3b88e67.jpg

CPU-Z_SS09.jpg.20068a64d7c729cdd5b558f41ecf2a82.jpg

Archived