Corsair Community

8 Pin PCI-E to 2 x Four Pin Molex for AX1200

Ricci

I am trying to locate a cable for an AX1200 with an 8 pin (or 6+2 pin) PCI-e connector on the Power Supply end and two 4-pin female molex connectors on the other end. I've seen a similar adapter with a 3 pin molex connector, but not 4 pins.

Any help?

Thanks,

Ricci

Was there one that originally came with the PSU? I'm not familiar with the actual contents of each PSU. But if it's something that did not originally come with the PSU try http://www.frozencpu.com They have all kinds of custom cables and adapters.

If it did originally come with the PSU contact CS and request another set of cables. It's that easy! :)

Was there one that originally came with the PSU? I'm not familiar with the actual contents of each PSU. But if it's something that did not originally come with the PSU try http://www.frozencpu.com They have all kinds of custom cables and adapters.

If it did originally come with the PSU contact CS and request another set of cables. It's that easy! :)

I bought the PSU new. The product was complete. There was no such connector in the kit. I checked frozencpu.com, performance-pcs.com and several other sites. Nothing. I checked all over the net, went to Frys. Nothing. It's like no one ever thought of it. If I can't buy one, I'll have to make one. I'll try calling Corsair.

Thanks,

Ricci

the required cables are in the Corsair bag and each connector should have a white text saying "AX1200 ONLY" on one end and "PCI-E" on the other.

I called Corsair. They have no suggestions!

This may help

http://www.corsair.com/blog/how-to-install-24pin-and-8pin-cables-on-your-professional-series-gold-psu/

Also i'm actually confused about what you are trying to ask are you trying to say that the PCI-E connectors with the 8 pins on one end and the other end has a 4 pin connection?

Or

You are looking for a cable like a adapter with 8 pin PCI-E to a 4 pin molex?

This may help

http://www.corsair.com/blog/how-to-install-24pin-and-8pin-cables-on-your-professional-series-gold-psu/

Also i'm actually confused about what you are trying to ask are you trying to say that the PCI-E connectors with the 8 pins on one end and the other end has a 4 pin connection?

Or

You are looking for a cable like a adapter with 8 pin PCI-E to a 4 pin molex?

I'm looking for a cable adapter with an 8-pin PCI-E to a 4 pin molex. It's actually more complex than I thought because the 8 pin PCI-E plug has three +12 volt lines, while a molex has both a +12 Volt line and a +5 volt line. I suspect that I might have to make the converter. But, getting the +5 volt supply would not simple. I'll have to get it from another output cable.

:confused: Why are you wanting to pull 4 pin molex power off of an 8 pin PCI-e cable??? :confused:

The 8 pin PCI-E sockets from the PSU are the only open sockets and sources of power that I have left. All the other sockets and lines are being used and I don't want to daisy chain off of any of them. I could go out and buy another PSU, but that appears to be unnecessary....so far. The total draw on the PSU is about 1000 W. So, I have some reserve power that could be utilized if I could find a way to access it. The only issue would be the source of the +5 volts for each of the molex connectors. That I would have to borrow from one of the other output cables. So..........the 8 cables from the 8 pin PCI-E (three +12 Volts, 5 ground) would be distributed to three molex connectors: one +12 volt line to each of the molex connectors, two ground to each of the molex connectors, and a +5 volt line to each of the molex connectors. That would total 12 lines feeding into the molex connectors. Is this do-able?

Not with any cable I have ever seen. You'll need to:

1. Mod an existing cable, or

2. Use an extension 4 pin off of the existing 4 pins.

What do you need 4 pin connectors for and how many do you need?

I need 6 connectors: one for each water pump (18W), one for a 6 channel fan controller (30 W per channel max), one for a sound card, and two connectors for lighting.

You do realize that watts is not the same as Amps, and 18 Watts at 12 Volts is about 1-2 Amps so you can use one connector for both pumps of they are only 18 watts.

That is true. I could get away with one connector driving both pumps. Since Watts=V x Amps, each pump would be pulling about 1.5 Amps.

I'm thinking that modding the 8 pin PCI-E cable will give me all that I will need. I will have to obtain +5 Volts from another existing output however. But, with the three +12 Volt lines coming out of the 8 pin connector, I'll be able to create at least 3 molex connectors without putting undue draw on the cable. Maybe I've stumbled onto something that needs to be produced in quantity? :laughing:

Thanks for your reply. Time to get out the soldering iron and crimper.

Ricci

You do realize that watts is not the same as Amps, and 18 Watts at 12 Volts is about 1-2 Amps so you can use one connector for both pumps of they are only 18 watts.

Ram Guy

Do you know a source for the pinout diagram for the AX1200? I'm not talking about one plug, I'm referring to a pinout diagram for all the male output sockets for the entire PSU, the point of view of looking at the PSU without any cables connected.

Archived