Corsair Community

How To: Make RGB Extension Cables / Repair RGB Fan Connectors

DevBiker

One challenge that I've had with my RGB fans is placement of the RGB Fan Hubs. This is especially challenging in a large case (such as mine) and exacerbated by a desire for some manner of cable management - which means that cables cannot take the shortest, straightest path between point A and point B.

Extensions could help with this. A lot. Sometimes just an extra 30cm or so would be more than enough. But while the RGB strips come with extension and connector cables, the RGB fans do not. I've looked and extension cables can be bought at ModDIY ... $9.99 for a measly 10cm. That's less than 4 in.! Those cables are so short that it's laughable.

1: Connectors

The Corsair RGB Fans use a Molex 50-57-9404 4 circuit female socket connector. This is available from DigiKey for $0.27/each. These will connect to a Molex 70107-0003 4 circuit male pin housing connector and available for 0.57/ea.

The connector for the cable between the Lighting Node Pro/Commander Pro RGB ports and the RGB Fan Hub uses Molex 50-57-9403 female socket connector on both ends. For this cable, only 2 of the 3 connectors are filled. Pin 1 (where the arrow is on the connector; this is +5V power) is not connected on either side. This is the same connector that is used by the RGB LED Strips (except pin 1 is connected for this). If you do wish to make your own RGB LED Strip extension, the other end will be a Molex 70107-0002 3 circuit male pin housing connector.

2: Pins

The connectors are only one part of the equation. You also need the pins. The cables are crimped to the pins and then the pins inserted into the connectors. For the female socket connector, you need Molex 16-02-0102 female crimp connector (0.15) (Thanks to BobKabob for figuring this out ... this was essential in getting me going in the right direction.) On the other side, this will connect to a Molex 16-02-0114 male crimp terminal (0.25 / ea).

All told, the connectors and the pins for a single cable come to a whopping $2.24!

Note that these connectors and pins can also be used to repair RGB fan connectors if you've managed to disconnect the connector from the cable.

3: Wiring

The Corsair cables are 24 AWG twisted strand cables and look like they are probably tin; I doubt aluminum and it certainly isn't copper. Maybe tinned copper? Fortunately, 24 AWG wiring is really, really easy to come by; it's everywhere. That said, you can get cables that look very, very much like the stock Corsair cables from ModDIY. I also had some RGB 5050 extension cables laying around that I don't use anymore because Asus Aura is sooo 2016 ... while copper (so lower resistance), they are also 24 AWG. Here's another thought ... Cat 5 ethernet cables use 8 24 AWG cables. This means that, potentially, you could have a single extension cable for 2 fans! Oh, the possibilities are endless.

4: Tools

You'll want a crimping tool for these. Yeah, you could probably use needlenose pliers and get it done but the results would likely be less than ideal. Search for "Molex Crimping Tool" ... these are different from other crimping tools for larger gauge wire. You'll also want a precision wire stripper that will cleanly strip 24 AWG wire. These, of course, are reusable.

From there ... you strip and crimp, strip and crimp ... then slide the crimped connectors in to the housing. The biggest thing that you need to be careful of is to make sure that the wires are connected to the correct cables (straight through connection).

Parts Listings:

Fan Extension Cable

No code has to be inserted here.

-----------

Fan Hub Connector

*Note: Only connect pins 2 & 3. Pin 1 should be disconnected. Pin 1 is marked on the female socket connector with an arrow

-----------

RGB LED Strip Extension

*Note: If you are in the EU, you can get these at https://www.reichelt.de/ or https://www.buerklin.com.

YouTube video walking through the process of making these cables:

[ame]

[/ame]

And yes, I have now successfully made an RGB Fan Cable extension as well as repaired an LL fan that had the connector detached!

If you want/need some custom extension cables (or even a splitter or two) but don't want to make them yourself, PM me!

Some results:

RGB 5050 (Asus Aura Sync) cable. Before and after:

y4mAy9mrBJSqGYjwxw6bsllB2_MuCewfaP1XMIudhNEW9U28615Zp2s50ebPGWt1xyO-7df3oAEQTI29VnDSlG0njfVyRU2ZIzMcaC4-PCZfwj5W_0p1ty3-4XBur_Ew9l_-EeZjZ2U3tpkIsOAb0TSmwc_nekttD1MU0tzoW67mSo6ThBZQ9twQLNre6lzFS4X-vl6N2-MEp77E_felZ_TyA?width=660&height=371&cropmode=none

Using the custom extension cable with repaired LL-120

y4m_pxmj70HfAeKdy8dl-xZRRypYk6TE7q9cPpRcoE4-4bkNm7jaKwzEFWglckPGs9LysthoRpSVTa08MaajN8AMa7yw4b-uZUiH8RMH64E4VCRy6_2HVtNoYeGa1YBKvFgBhHYHJRmGzXl6eVpCZaazHQ0Uq4TwAUjhExegkxJdYrYl2oW2tJfWv7h7DYM5NyKA81zSzIVTnnESIcm6ex5NQ?width=660&height=371&cropmode=none

Cat 5e Cable, Double Fan Extension cable (If you look closely, you can see the Cat 5e markings too!)

y4msqEVQ71QN2c0NFKvAeFO0M6-fRG0lmPwkldVcI_rbDE_N8wpFUhqyUK2j0he-04T2hPfJPvs-3Su9-xqa9WlruH4sJ2oiQmEQqcCHjGPIWmsxnIKjS5Ub9xrR0m2Xc0QeTouDD-TbTYElZJ3orRj5bSbbDjWWAGNp8zwJSh_kgvqbVK1YDRjW6sJN6TwCkqiYdcuNu-wbAopFX-ppeGTEQ?width=660&height=371&cropmode=none

Using the Cat 5e Double Fan Extension Cable with 2 LL 120's

y4m3kzkv6zoXUZoWzgQxZeYzucAQ7oxoZM5eFVAPGuf2ymn_VkOkjfv6wW_qomM3UtqlVHCGXv8q7dTPVHMeBOyVbmMUcg6Pk45PsotKvD8bDuqmx7_N_Bwaa_FsaPdsaEYuVPmVb5cyr6wdfc8vAaFizZhlxkrSd_2cyAmItg5kSwRl4JLlyJJmrTtVz_OvlPDQlWC67QSJyMgB1neo7ApNQ?width=660&height=371&cropmode=none

Edited by DevBiker
Added parts listing table
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

You can additionally run two fans from one connector as well. I ended up splicing two fans each into one connector with some extra pins I had from my order and ended up running a push/pull config on my rad. My rad has 6 fans on it with the intake and exhaust fan on each channel going to the same port on the lighting hub.

yqS0VNQh.jpg

Pins doubled up in the hub

zVf0mPjh.jpg

Synced fans!

Edited by BobKabob
Fixing pics

Nice! I've also been thinking about how to do custom cables that, say, have 3 ML fans on one port that you configure like an HD fan. This actually gives some cool effects across the fans.

Now that we have all of the pieces, there's a lot of interesting stuff that can be done with some wire cutters, wire strippers and crimpers. :headbang:

• 1 month later...
How did you add two wires to 1 pin so that you can 2 fans run off one connector? Is a single pin large enough to fit two 24 awg wires? What strand size is the wire you used? I am looking to do this project for myself and there are many options from a wire stand point in the 24 awg. Thanks in advance!

While I've not done it, you should be able to fit two wires into one pin without difficulty. There are, however, two notes of caution:

1) one of those cables is a return data signal. Now, apparently that's not an issue with his setup but it could be an issue.

2) Current rating - you do have limited current and, especially with LL fans, you have the possibility of exceeding the rated 5V current for a SATA connection (4.5A). How much current is actually used by the fans depends on the lighting effect, with pure white consuming the most current.

• 2 months later...

Great post friend! Seems crazy that Corsair hasn't either made or responded with a simple extension cable. Don't mean in the least to be negative just seems like something that should already exist?!?!

I also have this issue and had to forgo using LED Corsair fans since the pin extension was not available. I wanted to place the fans on the back panel of the case which is removable so I wanted 8-12in at least so I could comfortably remove the panel without fear of ripping out the Corsair link.

Simply brilliant post hope it helps others till a reasonable work around is available.

Great post friend! Seems crazy that Corsair hasn't either made or responded with a simple extension cable. Don't mean in the least to be negative just seems like something that should already exist?!?!

I have mixed feelings on this ... I think the challenge, from a Corsair side, is whether it's worth the effort and cost to productize it when there is likely an extremely limited market. But yeah ... it's sometimes challenging with all of the wires and placement, especially in large cases. But this is also needed info for fixing fans if something happens that the wires get ripped out ... which I've had happen.

I also have this issue and had to forgo using LED Corsair fans since the pin extension was not available. I wanted to place the fans on the back panel of the case which is removable so I wanted 8-12in at least so I could comfortably remove the panel without fear of ripping out the Corsair link.

Completely understand. I have them on side panels as well and that extra length is absolutely necessary. And combining them into a Cat 5 cable makes them easier to handle too.

Simply brilliant post hope it helps others till a reasonable work around is available.

Thanks! I've also made some for folks on a one-off basis. I have all the parts ...

• 1 month later...
What cable should I get to make my extension? 22AWG or 24AWG and why?

22 offers less resistance than 24 but in your topic you have the 24 one,, so which one should I get?

24 AWG is what Corsair uses for their cables. 22 AWG should work but I, personally, like to stick with the design spec.

• 3 months later...

Hey. Sorry for the bad text in English, translated by Google translator.

Tell me, is it possible to connect a separately purchased RGB cassette to the commander of the corsair, for example, 1-2 meters? If so, what should it be? In the Russian community, they write that they need a WS2811 tape, is that true?

Hey. Sorry for the bad text in English, translated by Google translator.

Tell me, is it possible to connect a separately purchased RGB cassette to the commander of the corsair, for example, 1-2 meters? If so, what should it be? In the Russian community, they write that they need a WS2811 tape, is that true?

You can use 3rd party strips but you must be careful not to go over about 2A (10W) per header without additional power. Configuring them may also be a challenge. And yes, they use the WS2812B protocol.

• 2 months later...
You can use 3rd party strips but you must be careful not to go over about 2A (10W) per header without additional power. Configuring them may also be a challenge. And yes, they use the WS2812B protocol.

Good afternoon!!!

Here is my desk.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/2e/d9/3d/2ed93dffa6f73e0918bba0995ccac385.jpg

How can I connect the led strip of the table to me Commamder Pro ???

The one that I currently have is this Led https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B00W3ZPE8S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Buy the parts (Molex 50-57-9404 and Molex 16-02-0102) to be able to connect it to the Commander Pro and in the end it did not work :(

For what I read you have to have a WS2812B protocol LED ... if I buy it will work in 5m ???

I do not know how to do it so that everything is synchronized ... I currently have it connected to the motherboard, but I would like to control it with iCue

Thank you very much for the help and forgiveness for the Google Translator

Edited by fineros

That particular LED strip is analog 5050, not WS2811/WS2812B so it won't work without a Digital-to-Analog converter. Solarity is working on one but it's not ready yet. And then it'd only be a single color, not individually addressable.

thank you very much for helping me DevBiker !!!

If I buy a led strip WS2812B, for example this model:

https://www.amazon.es/Picotronic-WS2812B-RGB-LED-Waterproof-IP65-70130652/dp/B0784P399Z/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1548000875&sr= 8-5 & keywords = 5m ws2812b

Do you think it can work in 5m? would connect directly to LED 2 of the Commander Pro. Do you think it is necessary to connect it to a 5v transformer?

Thank you very much for the help!!!

You won't be able to control that with the CoPro or NoPro. Two reasons:

1) a single channel is limited to 96 LEDs that you can control from iCUE.

2) The current draw will blow out the fuses. 150 LEDs is gonna be around 5A or a little more. SATA power is limited to 4.5A on the 5V rail. Molex connectors are rated for 5.5A on the 5V rail.

You won't be able to control that with the CoPro or NoPro. Two reasons:

1) a single channel is limited to 96 LEDs that you can control from iCUE.

2) The current draw will blow out the fuses. 150 LEDs is gonna be around 5A or a little more. SATA power is limited to 4.5A on the 5V rail. Molex connectors are rated for 5.5A on the 5V rail.

Muchas gracias por la explicación!!

Es una pena que no pueda hacerlo :(

• 2 months later...

Hi DevBiker, I was wondering if you could help me too!

I want to add a third RGB connection to my H100i RGB Platinum 240mm AiO. I bought a pack of 3 LL fans and realized it was going to require way too many SATA connections if I used the node and hub, and on top of that, my Mini ITX board only has one USB 2.0 header. I have the AiO connected to that header.

I see that the RGB fan connections that come off of the pump housing are already configured as a 1 to 2 split, so I wonder if it's possible to add another split to support a third fan? I have extra housings, crimps, and hookup wire, I'm just not sure which pins do what, and I don't want to mess this up.

I can supply photos of the connections if you need them.

Hi DevBiker, I was wondering if you could help me too!

I want to add a third RGB connection to my H100i RGB Platinum 240mm AiO. I bought a pack of 3 LL fans and realized it was going to require way too many SATA connections if I used the node and hub, and on top of that, my Mini ITX board only has one USB 2.0 header. I have the AiO connected to that header.

I see that the RGB fan connections that come off of the pump housing are already configured as a 1 to 2 split, so I wonder if it's possible to add another split to support a third fan? I have extra housings, crimps, and hookup wire, I'm just not sure which pins do what, and I don't want to mess this up.

I can supply photos of the connections if you need them.

I would very strongly recommend against doing a splitter with the cooler and LL fans. The concern is that they would draw too much power on the 5V rail.

I would very strongly recommend against doing a splitter with the cooler and LL fans. The concern is that they would draw too much power on the 5V rail.

Okay, well that's a big bummer. Thanks for the quick response!

• 5 weeks later...