Corsair Community

Windows 8.1

Warboy

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to note, that fix doesn't work for me for some reason.

But a custom controlled watercooler software should be tested and worked on before the OS is in public hands, whether its Public Preview, Beta or Even alpha. As long as the public has it, it needs to be supported to prevent hardware damage.

• Corsair Employee

Warboy,

I dont disagree with you but you should voice that opinion at Microsoft...

bommie,

I am sorry but all I can tell you it is in the works. And before you ask we do not have an ETA on the next release. However we will post it as soon as it is available. And No I am not saying the next release will support Windows 8.1...

Warboy,

bommie,

I am sorry but all I can tell you it is in the works. And before you ask we do not have an ETA on the next release. However we will post it as soon as it is available. And No I am not saying the next release will support Windows 8.1...

Will the next update support IB-E and Haswell for temps atleast?

Because thats sorta disappointing. And like I said the only thing that needs to be updated is the USB Drivers. Which was confirmed in the "fix" thread. So that could be released as a "patch" like install.

Install latest Corsair then Install Windows 8.1 patch. It makes sense. Then with the release after next, bundle it together.

• Corsair Employee
Will the next update support IB-E and Haswell for temps atleast?

A: At this time I cannot answer this as it was due to an issue with Net Framework is my understanding and Microsoft would have to address that.

As I stated previously I am sorry I do not have an ETA on the supported versions of our software for Windows 8.1 and I cannot comment on unreleased software or hardware...

But a custom controlled watercooler software should be tested and worked on before the OS is in public hands, whether its Public Preview, Beta or Even alpha. As long as the public has it, it needs to be supported to prevent hardware damage.

Warboy,

No. Microsoft doesn't build an operating system to be compatible with your software. Corsair builds software to be compatible with the operating system. It's understandable that things change in alphas, betas, and pre-releases, but that's the point of them and why the time span is so long; for kinks to get worked out and for developers to adapt their software to the changes so that they can have a product that works when the final build is released.

And No I am not saying the next release will support Windows 8.1...

As of October 18th, all manufacturers will ship their computers with 8.1. So in effect, Corsair Link will only support legacy operating systems. Brilliant way of handling "current" software.

• Corsair Employee

Scotty_Two,

As I stated the added support is in the works and that s all I can tell you. Windows 8.1 will be supported but just not at this time..

No. Microsoft doesn't build an operating system to be compatible with your software. Corsair builds software to be compatible with the operating system. It's understandable that things change in alphas, betas, and pre-releases, but that's the point of them and why the time span is so long; for kinks to get worked out and for developers to adapt their software to the changes so that they can have a product that works when the final build is released.

Microsoft has some responsibility here in that they have a defined process in place for current shipping software and how to produce compatible products. With new UN-released products this process is not in place till the O.S. software product is officially announced. In addition if they have changed the driver structure and it changes dramatically from its previous version then more time will be needed to develop and test newer software and or drivers for said O.S. This is just what it takes and expecting hardware to be compatible with a new O.S. at the time of its release is not realistic and some, at least 50% of that burden falls on Microsoft. They can and do write drivers for many devices when a new O.S. is developed but normally only what is actually required to maintain and operate the system with the new O.S. I cannot speak for Microsoft but I am sure this is not a priority for them and expect all third and forth tier hardware developers will follow suit. I would suggest speaking with them for their take on the questions you pose. However, I am sure they will just pass the proverbial buck as they have done in the past. However bottom line is the supported release of our software for Windows 8.1 is not available at this time and as I have stated I do not have an ETA sorry!

As of October 18th, all manufacturers will ship their computers with 8.1. So in effect, Corsair Link will only support legacy operating systems. Brilliant way of handling "current" software.

I think you confusing two very different segments of the computer industry. Basically the "Enthusiast Market" and the "System Builder market" System Builder market would not include this type of product if it did then yes Driver support would have been included in your OEM system IE HP, Dell, Gateway Ect. The channel/Enthusiast Market is very different and a much smaller number of users will adopt a new O.S. like this so Microsoft does not put as much effort and or solicit effort form third parties on third/forth party product support. That is nothing new.

I think you confusing two very different segments of the computer industry. Basically the "Enthusiast Market" and the "System Builder market" System Builder market would not include this type of product if it did then yes Driver support would have been included in your OEM system IE HP, Dell, Gateway Ect. The channel/Enthusiast Market is very different and a much smaller number of users will adopt a new O.S. like this so Microsoft does not put as much effort and or solicit effort form third parties on third/forth party product support. That is nothing new.

I wanna just say. That is slightly untrue, Any Enthusiast that wants to use DX11.1 or higher or any benchmarks that use Windows 8 will want to upgrade to 8.1. Its a lighter, more streamlined OS then Windows 8 was.

I'm a enthusiast. Not too long ago I was in the top 100 overclocker on HWBot in the US [currently 122 because I haven't been doing much].

The only reason currently a enthusiast wouldn't want Windows 8 [or 8.1 but I don't if the bug exists within 8.1] is because of the RTC bug that HWBOT banned all the Windows 8 results from being submitted.

Windows 8.1 is much lighter then Win8 or Win7. Low memory footprint, only 8gb installed [going of RTM installed within a VM if I remember correctly].

• Corsair Employee

Warboy,

I am sorry that may be that way for you but the powers at bay do not tend to flow our way. This is not our or my rule here only they way it appears to be. Look I am on your side here I agree with you ask the people who have known me for years they will tell you straight up where I stand...

There are many of us who agree with you and will do our best to push things along trust me I am known for getting up in the Presidents face and pushing issues (With Respect Uncle Andy ;-) .

But realistically this issue is not one we can even have a say over as its more about Uncle Bill and what Uncle Bill wants than it is about what Uncle Andy wants because Ram Guy says it must be so. I hope you understand what I am telling you here we all want the same thing it just takes time.

only one question really needs to be considered.,and that is

''is corsair purposely with holding the results that some are asking for?

the answer is unequivocally NO!,,

ive tolerated things myself simply because i feel their best is being done to satisfy the clientele and hounding,harassing or belittling corsair provides no useful purpose for me or them.,and to constantly harass,threaten and raise hell only would show myself in a self serving and childish way,,,so i wait knowing corsair will come thru for me...

i have to say i can really be a pain in the rear,back in 2001 i paid 1600 for a comic book off ebay,it was mis-represented and to this day my ''about me'' page reflects this bad deal so i too can be quite critical when deserved.

Warboy,

I am sorry that may be that way for you but the powers at bay do not tend to flow our way. This is not our or my rule here only they way it appears to be. Look I am on your side here I agree with you ask the people who have known me for years they will tell you straight up where I stand...

There are many of us who agree with you and will do our best to push things along trust me I am known for getting up in the Presidents face and pushing issues (With Respect Uncle Andy ;-) .

But realistically this issue is not one we can even have a say over as its more about Uncle Bill and what Uncle Bill wants than it is about what Uncle Andy wants because Ram Guy says it must be so. I hope you understand what I am telling you here we all want the same thing it just takes time.

Well I didn't say it was all Corsair fault, Nobody could have predicted a USB stack change of such a degree. I was just saying that Enthusiast will use Windows 8.1 over Windows 8.

But I do have to ask. Do you guys developer the drivers / software in-house or is it developed/maintained and such by CoolIt?

Warboy,

roflmao

since when has Microsoft giving a stuff about how its customers feel

the whole point is that 8.1 is out there and Corsair should protect its good name be being PROACTIVE and working on the problem

Will S

its like a tsunami, you know its coming but since its not arrived I will stay on the beach .....

roflmao

since when has Microsoft giving a stuff about how its customers feel

the whole point is that 8.1 is out there and Corsair should protect its good name be being PROACTIVE and working on the problem

Will S

its like a tsunami, you know its coming but since its not arrived I will stay on the beach .....

roflmaoau

because its microsoft thats slacking on supplying the necessary codings that will allow corsair to make their product work.,so yes complain to microsoft

roflmaoau

because its microsoft thats slacking on supplying the necessary codings that will allow corsair to make their product work.,so yes complain to microsoft

talk about one flew over the cookoo nest

Complaining to Microsoft is much like bashing your head against a steel beam.

and to windows 8.1 user , corsair give this link :http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120962&highlight=windows+8.1

a fix made by scotty_two ...

pathetic for corsair, uberleet for scotty_two.

i know now why im gonna change my watercooling for another brand.

thanxs for all , and your useless support ...

talk about one flew over the cookoo nest

Complaining to Microsoft is much like bashing your head against a steel beam.

yeah and thats exactly what corsair has to deal with

and to windows 8.1 user , corsair give this link :http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120962&highlight=windows+8.1

a fix made by scotty_two ...

pathetic for corsair, uberleet for scotty_two.

i know now why im gonna change my watercooling for another brand.

thanxs for all , and your useless support ...

heres a water cooled setup that may be right up your alley;):

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/3729524480/h46CFB98B/&imgrefurl=http://failblog.cheezburger.com/thereifixedit/tag/water-cooler&h=667&w=500&sz=70&tbnid=BByXB8WS-4GsCM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=67&zoom=1&usg=__UbSB6wZ3AwAF7H3SozSXLDemHjg=&docid=2w2ACpVxFcravM&sa=X&ei=Jcw8Us3-LIjoiwKw3YH4Cw&ved=0CDYQ9QEwAw&dur=348

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, but it's not understandable, ETA=Estimated time of arrival.

If the development team are working to a list of defined important bugs and enhancement, each one should have a time estimate on it, for research, development and testing alongside a release documentation phase. Add all these together and a bit of contingency and you get a release date as well as a list of changes.

As long as a little effort is made to keep us informed, 99.9% will understand if things are delayed.

I agree Software development is not yet a science, but any decent project manager with any experience in software development would be able to do this quite easily.

ETA=Estimated time of arrival..

tell that to the 99.9% of people that complain when a ETA doesnt get released

they dont hear it as a ''estimated'' but a certainty

ive seen it a ton of times.

this is one policy of Corsairs that is the right one...

Archived