Corsair Community

P5AD2 Premium Compatibility Issue

dpatch24

Couldnt help but notice Im following the same line as the rest of you....so heres my story. Im rebuilding a new comp. with the following component: -P5AD2 ASUS Premium -TwinX 1.0GB Dual Channel PC-5400 C4Pro DDR2 SDRAM Memory Kit (Two 512MB DDR2-675 Memory Modules) -WD 80G Hard Drive -x800 ATI PCI-E 256MB Graphic Card Platinum Edition -CDRW/DVD & 56x CD Upon Windows XP installation I get to a point when it halts with the following message... SESSION3_INITIALIZATION_FAILED If this is the first time youve seen this stop error screen, restart you computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps: Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask you hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you may need. If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe mode to remove or disable components, restart you computer. Press F8 to select advanced startup options, and then select safe mode. Technical Information: *** STOP: 0x00000006F (0xc0000020, 0x0000000, 0x0000000, 0x0000000) Ive called the ASUS help line at least a dozen time with the response of "new motherboard"...well I traded in the new motherboard and guess what same issue. Ive also configure my computer every way possible to try to see if perhaps its a configuration problem, but once again same scenario. I recieved an email for the RAM GUY with the following advice.... Please make sure that you have the latest BIOS for your MB and load Setup/optimized default settings, and try the following BIOS settings; Twin2X1024 or Twin2X512-5400C4 Advanced/Jumper Free AI over clocking: Manual CPU Freq: 200 DRAM Clock: 533 MHz PCI Express Frequency: 100 PCI Clock: 33.33 MHz Memory or Dim Reference voltage: 1.9 Volts System performance: Auto Advanced/Chipset Configure Dram timing by SPD: Disabled/User define SDRAM CAS Latency: 4 SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 4T SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 4T SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 12T Hyper path 2: Disabled All other settings should be set to default settings! Then please test them one at a time with [url]www.memtest.org[/url] and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure! *** Once again, same problem. Im at my wits end here. Anyone have any advice, I love to try something new. Thanks for taking the time to read and respond.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Corsair Employee
Did you test the modules, and were there any errors with [url]www.memtest.org?[/url] If not and you have replaced the MB I would suggest you try the memory in another system or maybe if you can barrow another CPU test it with your system. Or maybe try your CPU in another system. But according to [URL=http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/search.aspx?DisplayName=Windows%20XP%20Professional&ProdName=Windows%20Operating%20System&MajorMinor=5.1&LCID=1033]Microsoft’s KB[/URL] that error code is not recognized!

He had one too many zero's [url]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;153742[/url] Although I never got that specific error, it is in reference to missing or corrupt files. I have had the NTOSKRNL.exe show as mising or corrupted on two separate installs with this machine and was unable to recover from it by any method on microsoft's website. ARC

(In my previous email I was told to set my BIOS setting to those specified but I was reading some of the other posts and noticed this setup below is different for the one initially described to me. Which one should I follow?) Motherboard make and model: ABIT AA8 Durramax and/or Asus P5AD2 Premium Each pair is tested and packaged together using the following settings: CPU External Frequency: Manually set to 250MHz DDR2 SDRAM Clock: Manually set to 533MHz DRAM Timing Selectable: Auto Yields the following timings SDRAM CAS Latency: 4T SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 4T SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 4T SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 12T DDR2 SDRAM Voltage: 1.9 NB Voltage 1.9 Volts (On Abit AA8 Only) All other settings are motherboard defaults. Maximum DDR2 recommended VDIMM: 2.1 Volts (How long in the memtest? I ran it for 3 1/2 hours and it looked as though it would continue through the night. No failures were noticed.) Thanks

[quote name='AR-15Bushmaster'](In my previous email I was told to set my BIOS setting to those specified but I was reading some of the other posts and noticed this setup below is different for the one initially described to me. Which one should I follow?) Motherboard make and model: ABIT AA8 Durramax and/or Asus P5AD2 Premium Each pair is tested and packaged together using the following settings: CPU External Frequency: Manually set to 250MHz DDR2 SDRAM Clock: Manually set to 533MHz DRAM Timing Selectable: Auto Yields the following timings SDRAM CAS Latency: 4T SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 4T SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 4T SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 12T DDR2 SDRAM Voltage: 1.9 NB Voltage 1.9 Volts (On Abit AA8 Only) All other settings are motherboard defaults. Maximum DDR2 recommended VDIMM: 2.1 Volts (How long in the memtest? I ran it for 3 1/2 hours and it looked as though it would continue through the night. No failures were noticed.) Thanks[/QUOTE] Let me ask you a question, do you have advanced power management? Do you have APIC 2.0 and ACPI Enabled in management? If you do you have to do a special install through the windows xp. During where it says f6 to load raid drivers, hit f5 instead. And install the APIC, keep pressing up during the menu to find it. Try installing that way.

Alright I hope it works for you, I have apic 2.0 and now I found out I have to reinstall windows because my computer doesnt shut down also. So I too have to reinstall windows, but I did manage to install xp. But I had a hard time doing so, it gave me error messages also and did not detect my hard drive. Once again hope it works, tell me if it does.

I tried loading Windows XP just as you said, with the ACPI selection and unfortunately Im still getting the same error. I dont understand why this is turning into such a hassel. I called Microcenter and recieved my RMA for the RAM, and instead of trying the 5400C4PRO, I think im going to go with the VS1GBKIT533D2 and see how that factors in. What about the power supply? Im using an Enermax 550 W 24-pin model # EG651P-VE(24P). Thanks again for your help.

Sorry it didnt work out, well hope you get your parts in and that should fix the problem. Yah enermax makes good power supply, im using an antec neopower 480 and been working just fine. Oh btw the only difference between the pro of the xms ddr2 5400 is that the pro has lights.

Noob 112 This may be turning into a software issue. I loaded Windows 98 instead last night and it worked to a certain extent. I was about 80% complete when the computer needed to reboot and then my CPU said it was to hot and the entire computer shut down. I was to tired to finish troubleshooting, so I'll attack it tonight after work. At least now I have a formated Hard Drive. I may just reset the CMOS setting and start from scratch. New Question : Whats the best way to keep the CPU from overheating?

If I have got it right, you are not running your system overclocked. See to that you use just the right amount of thermal compound, and that it is of good quality (preferably Arctic silver 5). You should use a layer so thin that you almost can see through it. And you should also look into how well the cooler is fastened. Maybe it is a little bit tilted or you may have some small grains of dirt/dust between your cooler and CPU. You should not overheat when not overclocking.

Oh wow so you had your overclock settings while you were installing? The safest way to go is fully install all of your os, drivers, programs and such. Then after check your cpu temperature. Also your computer might be shutting down because you have your cpu temp shutdown too low. Mine was restarting a lot cause I set mine too low. As for cooling for your cpu I would recommend the Tower 112 from thermaltake, it's a huge heatsink which is very good at cooling. Make sure your case can accomodate the heatsink it's pretty big, and don't forget to apply a thin layer of artic silver also.

Apparently I had to learn this one the hard way. Im in the process of installing Windows XP and everything looks normal so far. I reset the CMOS and Installed Windows 98...and now as im typing this message another error pops up....grrrrrr ***STOP: 0x0000007b (0xF7c7a524, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) Back to the drawing board. ...after further review...all my problems have been solved....AND THE PEASANTS REJOICE!!!!!! Thanks to those who assisted me along the way...very much appreciated...and I didnt have to return the RAM.... Take Care. -Bush

I got my Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 today and I can only say one thing: WOW!!! My temperature is ~35 degrees C at idle, and 49 degrees C at 100% load for 30 minutes. And I have a pretty good overclock too... as you can see on my earlier posts. My overall system temperature dropped too. Graphics card: From 56 degrees idle down to 50 degrees idle on GPU, and from 53 to 45 on MEM. HDD: From 39 degrees down to 34 degrees. Motherboard: From 39 degrees down to 33 degrees. And my memory of course is not warmer then the palm of my hand. AND ANOTHER VERY GOOD THING: I went from 53dB to 28dB!!! AMAZING!!! I am so happy I could cry.

The dB´s? Well, my father is the inventor/constructor of the Respons loudspeakers (My father is Reidar at [url]www.responsloudspeakers.com[/url]). And I borrowed a dB-meter from him. But if you want to know the reason to the big drop in dB, it is because all of my components are running much cooler. I can no longer hear my CPU fan or GPU fan and my powersupply fan is running at a much lower speed now. :sunglasse I also attached my PC Probe screenshot.

Does anyone know what settings to use when I want to go higher than 675MHz on my PC-5400 ram´s? I was wondering about the voltage and the latency settings. [B]This is how I am running at the moment:[/B] CPU External Frequency: Manually set to 250MHz DDR2 SDRAM Clock: Manually set to 533MHz SDRAM CAS Latency: 4T SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 4T SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 4T SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 12T DDR2 SDRAM Voltage: Auto I have tried going much higher on my FSB (260MHz+) but it doesn´t run as stable as I want. [B]I am thinking about these settings:[/B] CPU External Frequency: Manually set to 266MHz (or 267MHz) DDR2 SDRAM Clock: Manually set to 533MHz SDRAM CAS Latency: 5T SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 5T SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 5T SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 15T DDR2 SDRAM Voltage: 2.0 Tell me what you think about these settings. Do you think I really need to increase the timings?

Hi, I have another problem with a similar setup as yours: Asus P5AD2 Premium P-4 540 (3.2Ghz) Prescott CPU (boxed, original cooler used) 4x512 DDR2-533 Corsair ValueSelect ram (2 1Gb kits) 550W Levicom ATX PSU An ancient old ATI Rage IIc PCI VGA board (until my 6800 arrives) After assembling it all together, ASUS POST keeps on saying "System failed: cpu test". I am not able to see the BIOS even. ASUS does not seem to be too helpfull on the topic, but what I could find on their site is that I need 1006 bios or later to boot with my CPU. Since I cannot boot even the BIOS I can't check its version, but printed on my motherboard it says "Rev 1.02" whih according to ASUS website means it came with 1002 bios (unless the retailer flashed it). Does anyone of you have any idea what could be the issue or how could I resolve it? Do you think it is possible that my retailer sent me a mobo with 1002 bios (that btw according to ASUS support pages supports only EE processors...) ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Archived