Corsair Community

P5AD2 Premium Compatibility Issue

dpatch24

I have tried Prime95 but the system reboots with or without it loaded so I never get a chance to let it run for an extended period of time. Same problem with running a heavy video load, it doesn't give me a chance. I have taken everything apart and inspectd all connections, reseated the CPU, replaced thermal grease, changed memory banks, removed one memory module, disconnected CD ROM and Floppy for the time being, left lights unconnected, removed the raptors from the drive tray to help airflow, uninstalled AI booster, disabled AI booster in the BIOS, enabled Qfan entries, set temp to lowest setting, turned CPU lock off and on, turned hyper threading off and on, taken up heavy drinking and gambling... Nuthin. Almost forgot, when I did run Prime95 the CPU temp stayed right at 50. ARC

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, this is interesting. The last try was meant to test the memory slots. I moved the modules to the yellow slots. System stated that overclock failed. I was using the specs I posted above. Usually when that happens I press F1 to enter setup and make changes. This time I selected F2 to run the defaults. The Processor and the FSB now report exactly 3.4 and 800 respectively. I was unable to get them to report these speeds by manually disabling any and all OC options. I haven't checked the BIOS yet but the system booted fine and is now running. I'll try as many tests as I can now and see what I find. If the system can't run at these speeds I have got problems. Windows memory test passed three iterations of 6 tests before I stopped and booted it up. So we shall see. ARC

I think I know what your problem is man! I just remembered what happened to me when I first installed XP... I will go on, but first I have to ask you: Is your HD with the booting partition connected to the PRI_RAID1 or SEC_RAID1 connector on the ITE8212F Controller? I know mine was the first time I was about to install XP. So... During the installation of XP the computer rebooted repeatedly. After a bunch of retries it finally worked. Then Windows hung on boot (just before login). After a couple of retries I was able to get logged on. And it worked every time. But after about 5-20 minutes it stalled or rebooted, everytime! I soon found out that you need SP1 (or maybe it was SP2) to get the drivers to support the ITE8212F on installation and use. I did not have such an XP installation CD nor the time to upgrade to SP1(or SP2) before the regular reboot. I didn´t get the driver for the controller to work either. And then my HD crashed!!! So I made an installation disk on another computer to use during OS installation (in the beginning where it says "press F6 to install SCSI/RAID drivers). Then it worked! But now I use the PRI_IDE1 connector instead. But that is for a whole other reason than the discussed problem. So try what I did to make it work, or connect your HD to the PRI_IDE1 and install everything then and see if it works. I assume you have the settings configured right for the ITE8212F both in the BIOS and the ATAPI or RAID BIOS appearing after post.

OK. But when you get it to work, I would like to know one thing. Maybe someone else can answer my question too. When you connect a drive (any drive, CD/DVD HD etc.) to the PRI_RAID1/SEC_RAID1, do you see the devices on the first screen of the BIOS? I can´t see any devices on the third and fourth IDE option! I really hope you get your computer to work, and that it is not any hardware failure making your PC reboot.

Yah, I had the weirdest time installing windows xp on this motherboard also. For some reason my chassis intrusion wouldnt work, so I put the jumper back on. Then when it would try windows xp in the setup it couldnt detect my sata hard drive. Then I thought hey maybe I need to put in a floppy drive and install my raid/sata drivers. Then I installed a floppy drive, weird thing is there is no raid/sata floppy disk lol. So when I had the floppy drive in there it installed windows xp just fine! Very, very weird, I guess I got lucky or something, after I installed everything I removed the floppy drive. Cause um... Floppy drives suck. I have yet to try to increase my ram speed but I think I might need to get a better heatsink first before I try. Oh and the only problem I currently have right now is for some reason the pled and my ide lights don't come on. Ill figure out this problem soon, I dunno whether its my case or something I really dont know. The only thing that pisses me off is I cant see if the light flashes or not, so I dunno if its busy. If anyone else has this trouble please tell me thanks.

[quote name='frpe82']OK. But when you get it to work, I would like to know one thing. Maybe someone else can answer my question too. When you connect a drive (any drive, CD/DVD HD etc.) to the PRI_RAID1/SEC_RAID1, do you see the devices on the first screen of the BIOS? I can´t see any devices on the third and fourth IDE option! I really hope you get your computer to work, and that it is not any hardware failure making your PC reboot.[/QUOTE] I only have 2 devices installed a lite on cdrw and a sata hard drive, I think those other ide options post up later on iteraid where it says drive 0 to 3. Correct me if im wrong.

[quote name='dpatch24']Friends4U, I ran into that latency issue as well and was able to solve it. It occurs when you have the latency set to AUTO. For some reason, the ASUS board does not read the correct timings. Follow frpe82's, RAM GUY's advice and set them manually to 4-4-4-12. Don't bother with the DDR2 600 option as it is crap and doesn't work correctly. Set it to 533 and overclock the bus to 225. You will also notice that the post will update to PC 5300 when you oc the bus to 225 and get an effective DDR2 600. I have noticed an issue that has forced me to stop using the AI Booster program. If I have my memory timings manually set to 4-4-4-12, the AI Booster will actually freeze my computer at oc levels above 217 MHz and I have to reboot. However, if I oc the bus within the BIOS, restart, load windows..everything is cool. The system runs stable. In my opinion, AI Booster sucks. Has anyone noticed that the latest AI Booster installer actually just installs the previous revision? I told ASUS about this and it doesn't look like they've fixed it. frpe82, I still haven't tried running the bus as high as you. I am still kind of worried about it. I suspect that I will do it one day.[/QUOTE] Ok, about the memory, i have pc5400 and the board says pc5300 when i overclock... is that no problem? For the rest of the message, thank you for your responce!

[quote name='frpe82']I don´t think that I really explained what I was looking for. What I meant to say was: When you enter the BIOS by pressing the DEL-key, do you see any devices that you have connected to the PRI_RAID1/SEC_RAID1?[/QUOTE] oops! Edited below! I do see my SATA drive in the BIOS under the IDE section. It is of course not connected the PRI_RAID1. My mistake, it is connected to the SATA 1. I'm still up the creak. I had the system stable and the ATA drive went bad. So ran chkdsk until there were no errors and reinstalled. Still says the drive is bad. So I connected the SATA drive to SATA 1 and installed on it. It took three times as there were issues copying files from the XP CD. I thought I had a bad CD but eventually got the install to go through. On the first boot it reported the NTOSKRNL.exe was missing or corrupted. I ran 'bootcfg rebuild' and it reported the driectory was not valid. I tried expanding the file manually from the XP install repair screen, same problem. Now it won't even boot. It tried to install again and it reported the drive had errors. I'm not convinced I have two bad hard drives, one a new SATA and the other about a year old. I'm thinking boot sector virus or bad mobo. Bad mobo is also possible since I get no post beeps at all. ARC

[quote name='frpe82']I don´t think that I really explained what I was looking for. What I meant to say was: When you enter the BIOS by pressing the DEL-key, do you see any devices that you have connected to the PRI_RAID1/SEC_RAID1?[/QUOTE] Nope yah your right it doesnt show, they need another bios revision.

No I have not tried that. I was able to load the correct RAID controller for the ICH6R but then I ran into all these reboot problems again and never got to configure the RAID set. So I abandoned any RAID until I isolated the problem. ARC

Now I'm back to not being able to complete an XP install. It keeps rebooting. It rebooted during the memory test again. Crazy. Memtest won't even load completely before it reboots. Next step will be trading out memory, if that doesn't work it will be trading out the mobo. I can't imagine it being anything other than those two items. ARC

I just bulit the ASUS P5AD2 Premium for a guy i know.I had some of the same thing go wrong you guy talked about.The guy wanted to send everthing back, We kept getting that post saying about the cpu faild.So he sent the MB back.Itryed tell him it wasn't the MB.Well he got the new MB back and same thing.I sat his on the a raid 0 with his 2 raptor 35 GB drives.I made a ship steam XP PRO disk and the install went great.If i can help you feel free to ask me,But i well tell you now I'm not good at spelling so be nice. He has ASUS P5AD2 Premium 5400c4 2 raptors ati 600xt PCI Video card

[quote name='Dave502d']I just bulit the ASUS P5AD2 Premium for a guy i know.I had some of the same thing go wrong you guy talked about.The guy wanted to send everthing back, We kept getting that post saying about the cpu faild.So he sent the MB back.Itryed tell him it wasn't the MB.Well he got the new MB back and same thing.I sat his on the a raid 0 with his 2 raptor 35 GB drives.I made a ship steam XP PRO disk and the install went great.If i can help you feel free to ask me,But i well tell you now I'm not good at spelling so be nice. He has ASUS P5AD2 Premium 5400c4 2 raptors ati 600xt PCI Video card[/QUOTE] A ship steam what? By all means, HELP ME!!!! I have managed to configure RAID 0 across the two SATA drives on the Silicon Image RAID controller, reinstalling windows now. I removed one Memory module and things seem a little better. If this install fails I'll try the new memtest on one module, then the other, then both. After that, I'm up for anything. Another oddity is that the Windows install always stalls when copying 'driver.cab'. Sometimes fails copying on a number of files. I used the exact same Windows CD on an older Sony Vaio yesterday and it worked fine, no stalling at all. On the new machine it seems to stall on that file regardless of the drive I install on, the memory installed, RAID setup or not, etc. I also called ASUS tech support. That was less than impressive. The guy ran through a number of hardware items to check, which I had already checked and just told me to return the board. No questions about BIOS revision, BIOS settings, hardware I had, nothing. Just return the board. Strange. ARC

Here's how the memory test has gone so far: [COLOR=Lime]Memory module 1 in DIMM slot A1: Passed Memory module 1 in DIMM slot A2: Passed Memory module 1 in DIMM slot B1: Passed[/COLOR][COLOR=Red] Memory module 1 in DIMM slot B2: Failed - system rebooted[/COLOR] [COLOR=Lime]Memory module 1 in DIMM slot B2: 2nd try - Passed[/COLOR] [COLOR=Red]Memory module 2 in DIMM slot A1: Failed - system rebooted[/COLOR] [COLOR=Red]Memory module 2 in DIMM slot A1: 2nd try - Failed - system rebooted[/COLOR][COLOR=Red] [COLOR=Lime]Memory module 2 in DIMM slot A2: Passed[/COLOR] [COLOR=Lime]Memory module 2 in DIMM slot B1: Passed[/COLOR] [COLOR=Lime]Memory module 2 in DIMM slot B2: Passed[/COLOR] Memory module 2 in DIMM slot B1: Failed - system rebooted[/COLOR] [COLOR=Red]Memory module 1 in DIMM slot A2 and Memory module 2 in DIMM slot B2: Failed - system rebooted[/COLOR] [COLOR=Red]Memory module 1 in DIMM slot A2 and Memory module 2 in DIMM slot B2: 2nd try - Failed[/COLOR] [COLOR=Red]Memory module 1 in DIMM slot A2 and Memory module 2 in DIMM slot B2: Failed - system rebooted Memory module 1 in DIMM slot A1 and Memory module 2 in DIMM slot A2: Failed - system rebooted[/COLOR] I am now taking each module through each DIMM slot by itself. Boot times are now considerably faster with only one module. I guess the other factor could be the power supply. It is an Enermax EG-851AX-VH(W) EPS 12v ATX-GES 660W power supply. I went with the big one so I could add a bunch more drives and more RAM later on. Anybody use this or heard of any issues? ARC

• Corsair Employee
That sounds really strange, if you have a bad module it will fail no matter what slot you have it in. However, I would suggest you get the latest bios and then test the modules one at a time with [url]www.memtest.org[/url] or let's just try replacing them! Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

[quote name='RAM GUY']That sounds really strange, if you have a bad module it will fail no matter what slot you have it in. However, I would suggest you get the latest bios and then test the modules one at a time with [url]www.memtest.org[/url] or let's just try replacing them! Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it![/QUOTE] Thanks RAM GUY. I am already at the latest BIOS. That was the first thing I did when I started having problems. I'll run them through a couple more tests and we'll see what turns up. I am only running through one pass of the tests for each setting. I have yet to get both modules installed at the same time to pass. We'll see, and thanks again. ARC

Archived