Corsair Community

Brand new Force 3 120 GB, broken 4k random write!

jubbbird

Any recommendations about my last post? Any solutions, hopefully? The SSD freezes quite frequently.

LE: i installed another AHCI driver, straight from AMD website, the previous one was from microsoft; no changes. Also, i tried to run a benchmark test with AS SSD and, although all speeds seem to be low, when i try to run the 4k-64 Thrd test, the SSD freezes. For the 4k test my speeds are 19mb/s for read and 10mb/s for write.

This option is not available as I really don't have access to any computer that I can disassemble. Should I take it back to the shop I bought it from? I will test my HDD attached to the internal sata (the one that is troublesome with the SSD) tomorrow and I will edit this to post the results.

I ran a test with AS SSD with the SSD attached to my eSATA interface, the 4k Thrd test values range from 0.2mb/s to 90, averaging somewhere between 0.7-2mb/s (once it showed 653 mb/s, what.). However, the ATTO test runs still runs fine but for some reason the speeds are ALWAYS lower than the ones from the test in my previous posts.

On the other hand, the 4k Thrd test runs ok on my HDD attached to the internal SATA (one which I thought is causing problems). Should I rely on the test from AS SSD and conclude that the SSD has problems with random reading/writing and take it back to the seller?

I had a chance to test my SSD in another laptop, the ATTO speeds seemed to be ok, similar to the ones that I got when I tested the SSD into my eSATA interface.

The problem seems to be with my internal sata interface. I need an advice or a solution: should I ask the seller to replace the SSD and try my luck? What if I try with another product from Corsair or from another brand, are there any chances that it might function properly? My HDD doesn't have this kind of issues, even when connected to the same sata interface.

By the way, my motherboard is AMD 785GX, southbridge SB850 revision 40.

The problem seems to be with my internal sata interface. .

If this is the case, then changing drives will not fix it. If you haven't already, see if there is a newer BIOS available for that system and also make sure you have the most recent AMD driver for the controller.

Also, if you are testing with the most recent AMD driver, test again with the Microsoft AHCI driver. Do this by uninstalling the AMD SATA driver, and reboot. The machine will load the MS-AHCI driver by default.

I checked the inside of my laptop again, very thoroughly, and I found that the detachable part of the sata interface was loose. I realigned it. Retesting with the microsoft AHCI driver would have the same results - poor performance.

However, after retesting with the latest AMD driver, I don't know what to think anymore. Testing with ATTO has the same results. Testing with AS SSD showed that the driver functions properly - the 4K QD64 speeds were 93.13mb/s read and 125.1mb/s write.

The drive still freezes. This never happens if I keep it in an external rack attached to the eSata interface. Does it mean anything that AS SSD reported those normal speeds or it's just false readings and my interface is still ****?

LE: after retesting with AS SSD, the writing speed vary from 170mb/s to 0.1mb/s. I guess my interface can go f itself.

Archived