Corsair Community

H70 high temps

281Str09

I just got an H70 with my new build. I installed it and I am not getting the results I saw in alot of reviews. right now I am at 4.2ghz but only at 1.312V. even when I had it at 4ghz I was getting temps up to 85~88 when I run prime95. I can't really check for stability at those temps as I don't want to ruin my cpu. although I have played some games. I have reseated the cooler 3 times and tried different thermal compounds. I used the stock compound that comes on the cooler itself, artic silver 5 and shin etsu G751. I have tried intake and exhaust configurations, hooked the pumps 3pin connector to a molex adaptor on the psu and tried the mobo fan connectors. I have re tightened the cpu block several times and I think if I tighten it any tighter I will crack the mobo. everything I tried gets the same results with temps in the mid to high 80's when running prime95. Was I expecting to much from this cooler or is something up? It seems I am not getting the results other people are getting.

• Corsair Employee

If the pump is spinning at its full speed (~1400RPM) then you either have a CPU that runs hot when overclocked, the H70 is faulty in some way, or your temperature monitoring method is inaccurate. I would try testing with some different temperature software and see if your results are consistent.

At any time we can try replacing the H70 for you, just Request an RMA.

If the pump is spinning at its full speed (~1400RPM) then you either have a CPU that runs hot when overclocked, the H70 is faulty in some way, or your temperature monitoring method is inaccurate. I would try testing with some different temperature software and see if your results are consistent.

At any time we can try replacing the H70 for you, just Request an RMA.

thanks for replying. i have tried different software. real temp and core temp say the same thing. in my bios it says the pump is running 1400rpm.

I just wanted to make one comment. That processor throws out some ugly heat at 4.0GHtz and above. Like the 930, it gets stupid up there. I was getting mid 80's out of the 930 at 4.0 GHtz and very manageable temps at 3.8GHtz. It was like a brick wall.

Your mileage may vary.

thanks for replying. i have tried different software. real temp and core temp say the same thing. in my bios it says the pump is running 1400rpm.

Are you running these utilities at the same time? Also, what does your BIOS show for an idle temp? How does that idle temp reading compare to what your utilities in the OS show at idle?

Same here, 4.1Ghz w/1.35 and Real Temp and Core Temp both show up to 86c after 10 min. I am afraid to let it go longer/higher. I replaced the stock TIM with MX-3 but will check tonight to see the spread pattern and reapply. Stock settings idle about 32c, didn't check full load. 1.35v idles at about 38c-45c with it being at 41c most of the time.

Are you running these utilities at the same time? Also, what does your BIOS show for an idle temp? How does that idle temp reading compare to what your utilities in the OS show at idle?

my bios shows 43 degrees which is about what real temp and core temp show at idle. right now at idle real temp is reading 43 41 42 41. I have run real temp and core temp at the same time and they are identical. I usually only run real temp though.

one thing I noticed is on the water block the copper plate looks like it has a scratch on it. I don't know if this would affect the cooling much but I was just throwing that out there to see what you think.

@kkolbo

are you using the h70 to cool that 980x? If you are what are your temps looking like?

@kkolbo

are you using the h70 to cool that 980x? If you are what are your temps looking like?

Yes I am using the H70, but I have reduced its cooling with modifications to quiet it down some.

The full rundown on the mods and temps is here.

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89387

What you are seeing as scratches on the plate of the H70 are not a problem. The important part is that the plate is flat, which it is coming from the factory. The stock thermal compound on the H70 takes care of any lines on the plate just fine. After market TIM's should handle them too.

Yes I am using the H70, but I have reduced its cooling with modifications to quiet it down some.

The full rundown on the mods and temps is here.

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89387

What you are seeing as scratches on the plate of the H70 are not a problem. The important part is that the plate is flat, which it is coming from the factory. The stock thermal compound on the H70 takes care of any lines on the plate just fine. After market TIM's should handle them too.

looking at your pictures I see you have the rad installed with the hoses on top. mine is installed with the hoses on the bottom. Do you think that could be making my temps higher?

looking at your pictures I see you have the rad installed with the hoses on top. mine is installed with the hoses on the bottom. Do you think that could be making my temps higher?

I have not found any difference in performance with flipping the rad or even mounting it on its side.

I am running the I7 950 at 3.8GHz, temps at full load in prime run about 69-70 degrees. at 4.0GHz temps were 75-77 degrees.

Have my rad mounted in the rear position of my 800d case with the hoses at the bottom, my thoughts were if there was any air in the system it would migrate to the top of the rad and I would always be pulling liquid from the bottom.

I agree with Keith it's all in the air flow, read his post, his idea to tape up the rear case upper vent holes made a 2 degree difference in my case

Corky

Hey all, I upgraded my system last night in hopes I could push the system a little further then my old one. Nice sale on parts saved nearly $200.00. Purchased the following items

Intel Core i7 950

Asus Rampage III Extreme

******** Extreme Performace Viper II Sector 7 6GB Kit

Corsair H70

Upgraded from:

Intel Core i7 920

EVGA X58 3xSLI

******** Extreme Performace Viper II 6GB Kit

Corsair H50

I have the set CPU fan speed to Turbo in the bios RPM shows 1455 so thats normal. But like others here I am getting some insane temps. Just shooting for 4GHz and nothing more. Set my CPU VCORE to 1.30v, set my ram accordingly and booted into Windows. At idle like those in here I am sittng at an average of 42c. After 10 minutes of Prime 95 I am at 73c. Before on my old H50 and Core i7 920 I would get that by setting the voltage on the EVGA X58 to 1.4. I am a little weary of running at this temp. I thought for sure something was wrong as it should be lower but from what I am reading here and from others is that this is correct???? I am not using the stock fans, I am using 2000RPM Thunderblades from ********. Again Prime95 at those temps are worse case, running WoW for 10 minutes I only hit 53c.

EDIT:After reading through the HardOCP article and some other reviews, this is actually the normal for this cooler. 75c+ at 3.8GHz+. HardOCP's test is they jacked the VCORE up to 1.45 for 3.6GHz ( even though 3.6 can be done at default voltage ) and hit 75c. So 4GHz at 1.35v is where I am at I guess. Kinda disapointed though, was hoping that a better proc with a higher multiplier using less voltage would produce less heat. Guess I was wrong. Gonna do Prime95 all night. Typically though one would never expect to hit those temps while gaming, did some WoW and only hit about 55c.

Archived