Corsair Community

My new F40 fails S.M.A.R.T

bmo98

Hi,

Brand new F40 got today from ocuk (sorry if mentioning them is against T&C's), just got as a test to see how good ssd's are. Anyhow i was slightly miffed at hdtunes figures (yes i know you prefer ATTO), On my 1525 inspiron (SATA2 ahci) the drive attained read speeds of around 154MB/s. so i plug it into my tower rig and the intel matrix raid bios says smart command failed, I have attached atto's bench screen with hdtune's smart window and the intel raid bios screen, i have contacted ocuk and they are going to test another f40 on monday, it looks as though this one will have to be replaced :sigh!: what do you guys think?

Forgot to mention the drive gets about 202MB/s Read and 220MB/s Write in the tower rig and the fact that the drive apparently has 312 bad sectors..

393255338_F40HDTUNESMART.png.779b6bbfb392c249dfb1c4dc6801d36e.png

1450435488_F40RAIDSCREEN.jpg.7b54329269da41d7cc97473299cec24d.jpg

ATTOBENCHF40.png.9a53a0ad361c59bc9323416497887faf.png

1426488395_F40HDTUNERead.png.7659ca11af76824af02677dc99b8fa95.png

747251121_F40HDTUNEWrite1.png.4202a067e7f97ca938829f10bf952897.png

hd tune and hd pro are not for SSDs

crystal disk info for SSDs and ATTO for the benchmarks.

you can disable SMART and your speeds look great!

hi,

i ran crystal disk and heres the results. what do you think?

Crystaldiskmarktest.jpg.c2fbb628a10f55972b0a2282f9078214.jpg

Here you go, so this indicates 138 blocks are bad? and the drives brand new, so whats a dangerous level then?

Why i wonder is the temperature attribute not supported?

http://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae50/bmo98/CrystaldiskSMART.jpg

Can you try and disconnect all other drives and turn off the raid and see iof it shows the smart error? Also was this just replaced and have you ran anything to secure erase the drive?

Hi Ram Guy,

i am about to put it back in the tower rig (its originally meant for inspiron 1525 laptop) and run it in ahci mode without raid bios and with the other drives d/c'd. i use killdisk with standard zero fill, i assume this is the same as HDDerase?

got a kernel data inpage error bsod today in the laptop and have got an kernel power id 41 critical error in eventvwr, this was at exact time of bsod 00:29. this happens when resuming from standy (hibernate disabled, s3). I take it this aint good? here is the latest results on the laptop

Will post tower performance asap. Write performance is a bit misserable on the laptop.

http://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae50/bmo98/CDM141_5MBS.jpg

wow, your speeds diminished almost a third.

i would suggest secure erasing the SSD with Parted Magic not killdisk.

read http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=85344 in its entirety for reasons why and assistance if needed.

good luck.

i will try parted magic iso, i cannot get hdderase 4.0 to work (doesnt seem to work with intel southbridge?). I have a theory that each time i run killdisk its not dealing with the garbage disposal side of the ssd and maybe negatively affecting the drives r/w perf.

Download Intel 9.6 RST drivers from Intel.

Make sure you use Intel connector port of MB, to your SSD.

Instal 9.6 drives and show us your ATTO bench after that.

GL, Mummy

yea thats the norm but some have said theres better performance out of msahci.sys

yea thats the norm but some have said theres better performance out of msahci.sys
well to me Intell have better and yours arent so good looking, to my eye. Plus yours newer then main.

Edit; Ok so the rec's was from laptop that i look. In your first post Atto look just fine. I wouldnt trusth other progs what ever they sey. you can find in net other brands with SF controller, and when you look theyr rec's you see tehey are far from review's and that they look more like yours.

i will try parted magic iso, i cannot get hdderase 4.0 to work (doesnt seem to work with intel southbridge?). I have a theory that each time i run killdisk its not dealing with the garbage disposal side of the ssd and maybe negatively affecting the drives r/w perf.
I wouldnt try "Secure eraser" just yet, you maind faind to have dead ssd afer that(in case of Force series disk), if you do. There will be update ofcorse, to that.

I would not suggest using Parted Magic on Force drives at this time.

?? Possible hint of a flaw in the design ?? does it Brick them?

anyway a further update, on the tower rig with smart disabled the intel ahci bios still detects "smart command failed" and this is with no other drives on the system. do you think i should return the drive to retailer?

NO as I said this drive does not support SMART, and that should be disabled. But we are looking into this now Did you test it on another system?

Oops i must have missed that post, i'll search for it. Yes the laptop and the tower. works ok on laptop and laptop bios does not report smart issues unlike ich9r ahci, here are laptop specs

Inspiron 1525 (GM965/3100 gfx) a17 bios latest

2.00ghz c2d t5750 (65nm)

2x1gb 667mhz

wd scorpio blue 500gb

Sorry i know this is a stupid question but if this drive doesn't support SMART then how are we supposed to know if something goes bad like a cell stops working?

edit: Oops forgot to mention the kernel-power issues both with tower and laptop.

well to me Intell have better and yours arent so good looking, to my eye. Plus yours newer then main..

You were right the intel drivers make real-world difference

http://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae50/bmo98/ATTO_AHCI-1.jpg

DAMN! now im getting lockups on the tower pc and windows event viewer is now telling me im getting kernel power id 41 criticals 10minutes apart. Also getting "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\DR1" <--- lots, is this a dud drive or just poor firmware?

on the laptop when resuming from sleep it would show windows for a few seconds then completely go black with the machine still on (got a bsod once with kernel page error and 2 instances of kernel-power in event viewer)

You were right the intel drivers make real-world difference

http://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae50/bmo98/ATTO_AHCI-1.jpg

Ok, today i say i take a break, but this message was for me, so i a...

Yes, there is some difference up to 64KB on speed if you look and that can help on some progs. But like i say in "edit", i looked your laptop speeds, not your destop, when i write that.

So i hope this ans* to you, im off. GL

Archived