Corsair Community

F120 SSD Random Kernel-Power 41 BSOD; Not Detected on Boot

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh firmware came out. Can we see some more confirmations about whether it solves 'all' the issues. I no longer have the drives (Thank God) though I'm interested to know the outcome.

The firmware fixed the problem for me and for most people.

My drive has been rock solid since the 2.0 update, no BSODs or crashes AT ALL. Speeds are right on with what's advertised. I'm using TRIM, and I sleep/hibernate/hybrid all I want.

10/10 product, it could not be any better.

The firmware fixed the problem for me and for most people.

My drive has been rock solid since the 2.0 update, no BSODs or crashes AT ALL. Speeds are right on with what's advertised. I'm using TRIM, and I sleep/hibernate/hybrid all I want.

10/10 product, it could not be any better.

seconded!

mine running rock solid too ;)

Just letting you know that the 2.0 firmware has fixed the problem I first reported in this thread.

Thank you very much for posting and we are glad to see a growing number of people with their issues resolved. Now, we just have to sort those users that were helped with 2.0 and those that still have issues.

... it seems that I'm part of those happy ones as it seems that for me the 10.0.0.1046 driver solved the BSOD issue. My comp survived some 50h idling.

I feel that I should report it here. After some time when I had already regained confidence in my drive and I even decided not to upgrade to FW 2.0, I got today BSOD again. So I have to confirm that 10.0.1046 Intel drivers only made the drive to last longer but haven't solve the issue.

I'll try to upgrade to FW 2.0 and hope it will help. Fingers crossed.

Please run ATTO and post your results.

Yellowbeard, sorry, I already wrote in previous posts that ATTO results are ok - as stated by Corsair. But we all know that ATTO uses streams of '1s' or '0s' so shows the best case scenario for SandForce drives. All what I asked for was the answer to my question about the F60 sequential write performance in CM3 when using streams of random data.

Please, be so kind and answer my question.

Yellowbeard, sorry, I already wrote in previous posts that ATTO results are ok - as stated by Corsair. But we all know that ATTO uses streams of '1s' or '0s' so shows the best case scenario for SandForce drives. All what I asked for was the answer to my question about the F60 sequential write performance in CM3 when using streams of random data.

At this time, I have been assigned other priorities and I cannot evaluate the various benchmark utilities floating around the internet. If we produce any test results in the future, I'll post them in the forum.

ATTO measures sequential reads and sequential writes, it is a benchmarking utility and provides nothing but benchmarks. It is used to compare other drives that have also been tested with ATTO. Benchmarking utilities are useful tools if you're trying to compare drives to see which is faster, just use the same utility.

Sometimes people get too caught up in benchmarks, real world performance is what really matters and they are reflected by benchmarks.

For example obviously a force drive will not actually write at 280 MB/sec in the real world, but if it measures that in ATTO and a regular HDD measures at 60 MB/sec sequential reads in ATTO then you can be rest assured the Force drive will be faster than the regular HDD.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I have the same problem with BSOD issue when system resume from sleep mode (S3).

I updated the drive (F120) with the lastest firmware (2.0) but it's always the same...

I reinstalled windows 7 64bits twice, make test for each driver of my system (Dell notebook, latitude E6400)...

I come back to my HD because i need S3 resume.

Can anyone help me ?

PS : sorry for my poor english

As i said, it's a Dell notebook (latitude e6400 exactly).

I updated the motherboard firmware to the last for my notebook since october 2010.

Dell support didn't know about this problem before i called.

I came back to my previous hardrive and i will wait for a new firmware which solve this problem.

Thanks.

• 5 months later...

Hi, It's a while since someone has not updated this thread, but I have the same problem, or a very similar kind.

I have a F60 since 3 months and for 2 months it worked fine. Now Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit gives me BSOD randomly (daily) because it loses the ssd drive.

Unlike the other I don't use hybernate, sleep, stand by or whatever, and BSOD comes when I'm in doing something: watching a movie, internet browsing, listen music. There's no pattern. I check the health of ssd with hdtune and crystal hd and apparently there's no problem.

My motherboard is ASUS P5B-deluxe, my F60 has the firmware 2.0 from start and I always used intel drivers 9.6.1014 or something like that. Yesterday I found this thread and I installed the 10.0.0.1046 drivers, but today another BSOD came.

Now I disabled Trim, as I read somewhere in this thread, but I'm quite sceptical: I know it's a great feature, and I don't want to disable it as the only solution. And anyway, It's not sure that it works.

Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance

Just passing on the information I read from here:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/solid-state-drives-ssds-flash-storage/566476-spoke-too-soon-corsair-f60.html

Quote:

"Just got word from my reseller:

We have had this problem with the Corsair drives before it seems the SATA connection is too short and will result in issues with the laptop detecting it, the only solution to this problem is to use a different SSD or use the original drive as the primary drive."

Could this be the real issue ?

I'm dying to buy F90, but I'll play wait & see for a while. ;):

Can someone tell me if there is a proven solution to this BSOD issue.

I had to rebuild my PC due to the ridiculous Cougar Pt issue and now with my Z68 MB, I am encountering this crippling problem. I did not have this problem with my P67 board. I've upgraded the firmware to 2.0, turned off TRIM, tried different SATA ports yet my PC BSODs within 1 min of boot up. I have nothing other than the F120 plugged into my PC for fear that I might corrupt my other drives. I've read as much as I could, updated every possible driver in my system and am booting from a fresh install of Win 7 x64 yet nothing seems to work. I'm really sick and tired of these problems I have to deal with stemming from the Intel chipset recall and have not had the use of my main PC for weeks now. Returning the SSD and being without my computer for likely even more weeks and still being unsure of having a fix is not an acceptable alternative.

Here are the specs to my machine. Thanks. DD

I have (maybe I had, I hope) the same BSOD issue, but in my case comes up in a normal work session and not after sleeping or hybernate the system.

I tried every solutions suggested here (disabling TRIM, latest drivers and firmware), but none worked for me too. So I formatted and reinstalled Win x64, but without making the updating to service pack one as I read in a Seven Forums's thread. It's just 5 days, but so far so good. Only time will tell.

I have (maybe I had, I hope) the same BSOD issue, but in my case comes up in a normal work session and not after sleeping or hybernate the system.

I tried every solutions suggested here (disabling TRIM, latest drivers and firmware), but none worked for me too. So I formatted and reinstalled Win x64, but without making the updating to service pack one as I read in a Seven Forums's thread. It's just 5 days, but so far so good. Only time will tell.

Wow. That is just completely unacceptable. I am using Win 7 so that is not an option for me. What is sending my SSD back to them going to do? Leave me without a drive for likely weeks and then still have it not useable when I get it back? Does anyone know if this BSOD issue is only for boot drives? I have an option of using this drive for SSD caching with the new Z68 MB. This is not an ideal situation as I would have to get another SSD (hint hint) but it's an alternative.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I would like to help the posters here as Ive had the same problem with my "other branded" SSD for months and just about 2 weeks ago a friend of mine came over and fixed it.

What he said: This could be 1 of 3 things that have been proven to cause this error with BSOD.

(Silly Enough) #1: People running newer versions of skype, there is a problem with Skype and IE9 that causes the BSOD (only on systems with SSD for some reason). Try uninstalling and going to a prior version.

#2: Disable LPM Mode in the Windows Registry. Basically when you install Intel chipset drivers or ACHI Drivers it sets something in the windows registry to put the SSD to sleep after X minutes. This setting needs to be set to 0 for all drives in the registry.

#3: Try running the SSD in IDE mode instead of ACHI by doing the following:

Go into your BIOS and set the IDE Controller to IDE or COMPATIBLE

#4: If you want to run in ACHI mode and having issues after cloning a Windows installation or changing the setting from IDE to ACHI in the bios try the following:

AHCI is fully supported in Microsoft Windows Vista and the Linux operating system from kernel 2.6.19. Older operating systems like Windows XP require drivers written by the host bus adapter vendor in order to support AHCI. Windows XP requires the installation of a vendor-specific driver even if AHCI is present on the host bus adapter because Windows XP was released before Serial ATA was invented.

By default, MS Vista and 7 have the Msahci driver disabled.

So, how to enable AHCI if you already install Windows Vista/Windows 7 using IDE interface.

Solution…(Always back up the registry key prior to making changes)

1. Exit all Windows-based programs.

2. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

3. If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.

4. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci

5. In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.

6. In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.

7. On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor

Restart and go into the BIOS and make the changes from IDE to AHCI and restart and away you go.

After #2, he solved the problem and the computer is running great. No more blue screens. As soon as I call him this week, I'll get the exact procedure for this as it is a common problem with all SSDs, not just Corsair.

**DO THIS REGARDLESS IF YOU HAVE THE INTEL SOFTWARE INSTALLED OR NOT!! IT WILL WORK!!**

**Run the .REG file after you create it**

Just made my quick phone call LOL! For those of you BSOD'ing that need full instructions to step #2 above, this is the procedure! IT WORKS! He said most systems with SSDs are not compatible with INTELs LPM mode. Backup your registry FIRST! Then try this! In my office we use several SSDs by many manufacturers and this fix has worked on Corsair and all of the others as well.

The needed Reg-File to disable LPM on all Intel Ports it is easy to create. Create a new Text-File, copy and paste the following text and then name it for example “LPM.reg”. When you have save the file double click on the file, restart your System and that’s it. On the next boot up LPM is disabled. You can also disable only one or two ports and so on. Then you must delete the line from that port, who you don’t want to disable LPM.

Copy start at the next line: Do this in Notepad and save as LPM.REG

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters\Port0]

"LPM"=dword:00000000

"LPMDSTATE"=dword:00000000

"DIPM"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters\Port1]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters\Port2]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters\Port3]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters\Port4]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor\Parameters\Port5]

Copy end up over this line: **RUN THE .REG FILE AFTER YOU CREATE IT THEN REBOOT**

Also you can do it by hand:

If there are no "Ports" under the iaStorV/iaStor Parameters, you will need to Manually Creating the Registry Location and Keys:

1. Go to Start-> Run..

2. Type in RegEdit and hit the Enter Key..

3. Go to the following Key location to insert or configure the registry keys for LPM:

Code:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStor\Parameters\

4a. Right click "Parameters" select "New" then name it "Port0".

4b. Left click "Port0" to open and in the pane with Name/Type/Data, Right click select "New" then "DWORD" and name the new value "LPM".

4c. Repeat 4a/4b "LPMDSTATE" and "DIPM".

5. When you want to ad the other Ports also to registry, then repeat the steps from 4a to 4c and name it Port1, Port2, Port3, Port4 and Port5.

At the end - here are the text what Intel says about LMP in the Rapid Storage since Version 10:

Link Power Management with Intel® Rapid Storage Technology

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology implements the Link power management (LPM) feature described by the Serial ATA specification to overcome the power demand of a high-speed serial interface, SATA and providing the capability of SATA at the minimum power cost. LPM, when used in conjunction with a SATA hard drive that supports this feature, enables lower power consumption. LPM was initially enabled by default on mobile platforms starting with ICH6M with Intel® Matrix Storage Manager. Starting with ICH9R this feature has also been supported on desktop platforms with Intel® Matrix Storage Manager 7.5 release but not enabled by default. Beginning with the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology 10.0 release, LPM support is enabled by default on both mobile and desktop platforms. OEM’s who wish to modify the default settings for LPM on their platforms can follow the instructions in the following section(s).

Instructions to disable/enable LPM

After system is setup with OS and Intel® Rapid Storage Technology installed, follow the below instructions to modify the default LPM support.

NOTE: Beginning with the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology 10.0 release, the registry keys are no longer populated in the Windows registry by default. The RST driver does not require the registry keys to be present to support the default settings.

1. Go to Start->Run

2. Type in RegEdit and hit the Enter Key.

3. Go to the below mentioned location to insert or configure the registry keys for LPM

NOTE: OEM’s need to configure the LPM settings by port. Ports are numbered starting with zero (please refer the desired platform EDS for the number of ports supported on that platform)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\iaStor\Parame

ters\Port0\

ters\Port1\

ters\Port5\

4. Now add the following registry keys under the registry location mentioned in step3, if they are not available (These registry keys are not available by default, they can be added by using utomated scripts, .reg files, executable utilities, etc). If you find the below registry keys already available, you can modify the values for desired support. Values are modified on a port by port basis so modify all ports that you wish the changes to be supported on. **

“LPM”=dword: 00000001 {dword: 00000000->Disable; dword: 00000001->Enable} [default = Enabled]

“LPMSTATE”=dword: 00000000 {dword: 00000000->Partial; dword: 00000001->Slumber} [default = Disabled] (Note: the driver ignores this key when the LPM key’svalue is not set to 1. So when LPM value is 0, this value is N/A.)

“LPMDSTATE”=dword: 00000001 {dword: 00000000->Partial; dword: 00000001->Slumber} [default = Enabled]

“DIPM”=dword: 00000001 {dword: 00000000->Disable; dword: 00000001->Enable} [default = Enabled]

**Warning: If you edit the registry incorrectly, you can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Intel does not guarantee that problems that are caused by editing the Registry incorrectly can be resolved.

Archived