Corsair Community

F120 SSD Random Kernel-Power 41 BSOD; Not Detected on Boot

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply
bought and replaced my 2xF60 to 2x phoenix60 for now, until SF release the mentioned firmware.

I have a few phoenix drives.... none of them have this issue.... all of my F120s have been removed from service....

Its truely sad.... if this is the level of service that corsair is headed toward then I may just sell them off. I dont have to buy corsair... I just thought it was the smart choice due to past experiences

Yes it is a firmware problem, 1.1a was not supposed to fix the problem. There is a newer version coming out very soon.

The * 2 does have this problem and the same SandForce firmware, and as of right now, the particular competitor over there has not posted an update for their firmware either.

Well - i solved the problem....

I have returned the Force 240 disk and bought a SSD from another brand, still with Sandforce 1200 chip... O*Z V****x 2. 2 days with no BSOD.... Sorry guys, I had to go over to the dark side - could not take any more BSODs...

Hi,

It's a client's pc so the spec are inserted here not profile.

Wanted to sign my name on this lawsuit! ;) Share my angle.

The system is rebooting by itself (same bsod) when it's left idling.

The client said most of the time at the end of the workday when it hasn't being used. SSD go POUF* then ..... Useless to go on I have rarely seen so many people describing the same exotic set of symptoms. I have the same as everybody who's in this thread.

What I hate about this problem is that normally when you purchase something after having done your research the only problem you can have is to RMA a DOA. Because you know it's reported as fully compatible.

If it's misrepresented... well, you'll get a refund, at least a possibility for a refund or something equivalent and compatible. I'm sure if the guys at corsair were to buy a $$$ software that is supposed to work with win7 64 bit they would find unacceptable to be told that they have to wait for a patch and until then they can ask for new cds with the same version of the software on it.

That's a loop. No customers feel good there. It's a complete Ripoff feeling Nigerian style. I feel stupid for having to pay out of my pocket to replace a hard drive that's not working but cannot be exchanged for a working one and refund is out of the question. I'm an entrepreneur who is loosing money because I chose Corsair.

Stupid people find themselves in those situations, so people think I was stupid to buy that Corsair SSD. I still resist but it's useless no matter what I say that is how things look and look is everything. It's sad and more costly for Corsair than any other scenario! Even if 99% of people who bought something are satisfied, you'll be judged on how you treat the other 1%.

That IS going to be your image!

People without problems will not talk about it, the 1% will have a story and everyone like a good story. And no matter what I do and say, Corsair will not look good even if I rationalize it myself while I tell it all.

If I had replaced that ssd without loosing money, refund or exchange for a working one(has to exist) my client would still walk the earth not knowing who Corsair is, now his wife probably has an opinion too!

I'm not saying this story will end bad, i'm saying it's not about the end.

Sorry, my two cents, after all I'm just an incompetent IT technician, so it seems.

Let me know if I can help,

-------------------------------------------

Intel® Core i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz

Gigabyte X58A-UD3R

Award (Phoenix) FA 04/20/2010

6Go DIMM DDR3

ATI FirePro V4800 (FireGL) (400 SM5.0 775MHz, 1Go DDR5 4x900MHz, PCIe 2.00 x16)

Seagate ST3500410SV (500.1Go, SATA300, 3.5", 7200rpm, NCQ, 16Mo Cache) : 466Go (E:)

Corsair CSSD-F60GB2 (60Go, SATA300, NCQ) : 56Go (C:)

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS50 (SATA150, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 2Mo Cache) : N/A (D:)

Giga-Byte 4 port SATA IDE Controller

Giga-Byte 2 port SATA IDE Controller

Giga-Byte 88SE9128 SATA-600 Controller

Giga-Byte JMB36X PCIE-to-SATAII/IDE RAID Controller

Giga-Byte JMB36X PCIE-to-SATAII/IDE RAID Controller

Microsoft Windows 7 Fondamental 6.01.7600

x64

My thinking could be wrong so please elaborate.

How could it be possible for me to have the same problem as people who have updated and others who don't even have the same BIOS but yet my instantiation of the problem would be solved by the gigabyte BIOS?

If there is a problem that concern people with NON-Gigabyte board and people with gigabyte boards... How could the solution be Gigabyte specific?

It's hard to explain but do you see where I'm going?

If that would be the case I would be inclined to think that the gigabyte "fix" would be at the wrong level... a monkey patch. Like disabling something or intercepting it, possibly affecting some features or whatever.

If those drives have that problem(I base all this on the fact that they have) how in the worl would it make sense for my bios to "solve" a problem with the drive's firmware. It's possible but is it the right thing.

The only possibility is that there is an error in my bios that produce the exact same exotic symptoms as the drive firmware problem. I would be affected by that "gigabyte mirror bug" but not by the firmware bug? Seems stretched! And if it's the case wouldn't you guys look at what was that gigabyte problem causing exactly the same thing on many other machines. Maybe it's all those bios out there who need a bios update too? And nothing is wrong with the drive? But it doesn't look like that.

But I might be wrong, it's a discussion.

The problems are extraordinarily hard to reproduce. We have seen issues in general where a drive will work on 1 system, yet not on an apparently identical system etc etc etc.

The beta BIOS may or may not solve your issue but it is 1 step in trying to resolve your issue. If it does not resolve it, no harm done and you'll need to wait for the new firmware that we expect any day now. The beta BIOS' have worked for some and not for others so the only way to know is to try.

Additionally, some users have had good luck by disabling the secondary SATA controller on their boards. I'm not sure if the beta BIOS negates the need for this or not. Again, the only way to know is to test the system with these changes.

The problems are extraordinarily hard to reproduce. We have seen issues in general where a drive will work on 1 system, yet not on an apparently identical system etc etc etc.

But you have been able to reproduce and acknowledge the problems, that is somewhat good news.

Additionally, some users have had good luck by disabling the secondary SATA controller on their boards.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but this is slowly entering the esoterical realms now. You are slowly approaching "some users have sacrificed a chicken".

You just have to recognize that not everyone is willing or able to sink hours of trial & error into this issue if they could otherwise be working and earning money. Once the culprit that is rendering the system unstable has been identified, the threshold for the time to invest in it may be extraordinarily low. In my case, this threshold has been reached after an already generous three or four hours, rendering the drive already twice as expensive as its retail price. The next thing I will try is not some may-or-may-not-work setting, but replicating my system to an SSD of a different manufacturer and return the Corsair drive. Not out of spite, not out of grudge, but out of a simple cost-benefit calculation.

Hoping for that firmware update to arrive really soon.

He didn't say it's required or necessary to do disable them. He just mentioned that some people saw benefits doing it.

Put it this way: If you're someone who doesn't use that 2nd controller, and you try it, and it helps you as a temporary fix, then wouldn't you be better off with that info than not?

I have equal problem on my AMD base system :!:

Windows 7 x64 home premium AMD Phenom x4 945 (not Intel)

MB ASUS MA77TD PRO with latest BIOS 2301 (not GigaByte)

SATA use IDE emulation mode.

Corsair F120 (firmware 1.0)

(see details in profile)

He just mentioned that some people saw benefits doing it. (...) wouldn't you be better off with that info than not?

Again, no disrespect. If it helps somebody, even better. It just doesn't fit the picture: If, as we are told, the problem has been identified, reproduced, and a fix is on the way ... why are we still at the point of guessing temporary fixes? Should Corsair not at least know what causes the problem and how to temporarily fix it without guessing? I'll happily stand corrected if I am misjudging the situation.

Today I had two Bluescreens, one even while working. :(

For the entertainment of the forum, I took a picture (see attachment). What I find funny is that it says there the core was dumped. Wonder where it dumped it if it can't access the system drive.

OK, there is another hard disk, but there's no core dump, at least in the root directory.

IMG_6235.thumb.JPG.c5a5366cca62717f80764e55a0b7212a.JPG

Today I had two Bluescreens, one even while working. :(

For the entertainment of the forum, I took a picture (see attachment). What I find funny is that it says there the core was dumped. Wonder where it dumped it if it can't access the system drive.

OK, there is another hard disk, but there's no core dump, at least in the root directory.

Different BSOD to what I was getting on a GA-890FXA-UD5 but similar. there is no BIOS update for the non intel chipset boards as far as I know.

I disabled trim now, and the bluescreen text changed! Now it says "program can't start because file is missing".

And what's really getting annoying is that I lost a mail this time because it was apparently not written to disk before the crash. Wonder how many more there are during the last week...

And of course I also wonder how much the system is affected. Guess I'd better do a fresh install after updating the firmware (if the new FW ever comes out). One more weekend wasted...

I disabled trim now, and the bluescreen text changed! Now it says "program can't start because file is missing".

And what's really getting annoying is that I lost a mail this time because it was apparently not written to disk before the crash. Wonder how many more there are during the last week...

And of course I also wonder how much the system is affected. Guess I'd better do a fresh install after updating the firmware (if the new FW ever comes out). One more weekend wasted...

You should definitely disable write caching on the disk until the new firmware comes out, the same thing happened to me.

Again, no disrespect. If it helps somebody, even better. It just doesn't fit the picture: If, as we are told, the problem has been identified, reproduced, and a fix is on the way ... why are we still at the point of guessing temporary fixes? Should Corsair not at least know what causes the problem and how to temporarily fix it without guessing? I'll happily stand corrected if I am misjudging the situation.

I am not guessing at temporary fixes. My suggestions are suggestions that have in fact helped some users. They don't help everyone. However, you can be sure that they won't help you if you don't try them.

I just stumbled upon this thread and can't believe now since July, Corsair or Sandforce or whomever hasn't fixed this yet or issued a recall. if it is any consolation, competitor's sandforce line also has similar and worse, issues, especially in the larger sizes. My bet it is a controller problem and everyone is waiting for Sandforce to respond.

I just stumbled upon this thread and can't believe now since July, Corsair or Sandforce or whomever hasn't fixed this yet or issued a recall. if it is any consolation, competitor _ _ _ 's sandforce line also has similar and worse, issues, especially in the larger sizes. My bet it is a controller problem and everyone is waiting for Sandforce to respond.

I returned 4 Corsair SSD's in sizes 120, 160, 240 that failed in 4 different systems and chip-sets. All failed by hanging with solid disk traffic lights.

The drivers were stuck in a loop that required a power down.

Replaced all drives with brand Z and all work fine.

I now check the support forums for products like these before purchasing to check for responsiveness and solutions and for unresolved problems.

Responsiveness is good here but I think it is not possible for support staff to post information detrimental to Corsair.

- Rich

We have an user reporting resolution of his resume from sleep/hibernation issues by using the latest Intel driver. So, users having these issues and that also use Intel chipsets, please try the newes Intel driver, 10.0.0.1046.

Quote from THIS THREAD:

Thanks! So far so good.....This might help others with bsod. Intially I was running my force 120gb on jmicron drivers with no bsod. I realized that the drive wasn't running as fast as it should be so I switched to a sata 2 port and loaded intel 10.0.0.43...drive posted atto numbers up to par so I decided to let my computer sleep.....and then bsod....I was going to go back to the sata 3 port/jmicron driver but then I saw the new driver. So far sleep and wake up no bsod. I will report as I test tomorrow. :D:

We have an user reporting resolution of his resume from sleep/hibernation issues by using the latest Intel driver. So, user having these issues and that also use Intel chipsets, please try the newes Intel driver, 10.0.0.1046.

Quote from THIS THREAD:

Computer still up and working!!....no bsod/sleep issues yet. I hope new drivers helps others.

JD

Archived