Corsair Community

Firmware upgrade tool not detecting SSD

Falaris

I bought this P256 yesterday for my wife, and since for her reliability is paramount, and since I do all the systems engineering round here, I thought the TRIM feature would be a good idea. This is part of the migration for her from WinXP64 to Win764.

The Samsung firmware updater runs, reports no supported SSD(s). The POST from the ASUS M2N32-SLI motherboard reports:

SATA 1 : CORSAIR CMFSSD-256GBG2D

The firmware on the P256 is VBM18C1Q according to the label on the back.

I suspect the firmware update tool may not recognize completely virgin disks, being a DOS utility.

So, I am about to try doing a FDISK and Format on it, then retry. Will post results.

Edit:

Nope. I did fdisk, made 4GB partition, formatted it. Disk got formatted OK, and fdisk drive verification worked fine, but still not detected.

I'll try another motherboard.

And it worked fine - successful mbd = ASUS M2N68-CM - no opportunity to tailor SATA ports, you just get what it gives you.

btw, in both attempts the SSD was the ONLY device attached to the system.

Interesting feedback and thanks.::pirate::

It is an odd situation as both boards use Nvidia chipsets. :confused:

@Dr J.

To check your hardware ID's go to Device Manager (right click on Computer --> Manage --> Device Manager --> right click on your SSD --> Properties --> Details Tab --> drop down the selection to Hardware ID's) then if it says a bunch of numbers as I listed above rather then Corsair SSD or something then you have a drive that will not be detected by the update program. If it does list it as a Corsair SSD then this is not your problem.

-Fal

Hi

i have the same Problem

HW MSI7376 , AMD Phenom II 940

SSD Corsair P64

added a sreenshoot from crystal disk info

regards

Frank

If you are having this problem of the Firmware utility not detecting your drive, please get Crystal Disk Info and post a screen shot, this will help us isolate the issue.

SSD1.thumb.jpg.7c5237a211cb37c68357f55621777053.jpg

• Corsair Employee

How are you running the Tool?

You have to use a Bootable USB Floppy with DOS and no TSR's loaded and have the SSD set to one of the BOOT devices in the Boot menu. You also may need to set the IDE Controller to IDE or IDE Compatibility mode.

Hi

i created the USB DOS BOOT Stick same as the link below

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83833

disconnect all drives , also CDROM Drive but no SSD was found by the tool

check to make sure drive is in IDE Comp mode ( set in BIOS to IDE)

same problem

Regards

Frank

How are you running the Tool?

You have to use a Bootable USB Floppy with DOS and no TSR's loaded and have the SSD set to one of the BOOT devices in the Boot menu. You also may need to set the IDE Controller to IDE or IDE Compatibility mode.

@ Pond:

If you can, find yourself another computer to do the firmware upgrade on. It's your best bet. It sounds like there is a compatability issue with your motherboard. I guess the next question would be, has anyone been able to flash using this motherboard?

Oh, also, is your motherboard at the latest firmware? It probably wouldn't matter but you could check into it.

-Joe

• Corsair Employee

Please try and load setup defaults and set the Boot order and then let it try to Boot and if it does not detect turn the system off and let it set for a few min then turn it on and see if it will detect it.

The Flash Engineer suggested that trying this from a cold boot would maybe solve that issue.

I installed the latest bios update for the motherboard (1303)

Loaded setup defaults

Disconnected all other hard disc

Set the boot order, first my USB boot up and second my SSD (P64)

Restarted the system

System started up on the USB stick and runs the DOSRD1_0.exe

After a while the message 'firmware upgrade tool not detecting SSD'

Shutdown and powered off the computer and waited for 10 minutes

Restart the computer

System started up on the USB stick and runs the DOSRD1_0.exe

After a while the message 'firmware upgrade tool not detecting SSD'

I don’t know what there is to assist

I do exactly what I have to do but for me and several others it won’t work

So I hope that Corsair of one of the other experts on the forum can help with a solution

Hi, i have the exact same problem(...not detected P64 by firmware tool) as described by many and have followed all recomendations but nothing worked.

I don't know if it matters but i'm on a nforce based mobo (Tyan S2895) too...

If you have any options to set the S-ATA Controller to IDE Mode I would try that but if that does not work then I would suggest using another MB.

I did not have that option in my mobo so (...finally) i used another PC which had that option and it worked...:sigh!:

I got a P128 (detected as a Corsair drive in windows with correct hw id) which I can't get updated at this time.

I got a Asus M4A78T-E (AMd chipset) which is updated with the latest bios that was released a few days ago.

Sata is set in IDE-mode, USB Flash is boot 1, SSD is second HDD, SDD sits in SATA1 and is the only drive in the system.

I reset the bios with "load defaults".

The boot-stick I made with the guide works perfectly (actually even usefull for bios flashing) but regarldess what I do I get "No supported SSSD found".

One funny thing is that when I first wanted to flash the drive a few hours ago, before I started mucking with a new bios etc, I had forgotten a ******** 64GB V+ drive in it. And guess what - THAT drive was found by the Samsung Flash-utility. So it detected the ******** but not the Corsair.

Including CrystalDisk image for my drive.

I'm going to see if I have another mobo but it doesn't seem only to be a problem with NVIDIA chipset

Edit: Umm, are you seriously censuring the name of other companies :)? Och well, if so - the drive the utility detected was from a company starting with King... - it seems that drive uses Samsung controller to but can be detected with the same utility. So it seems it might be a Corsair problem and not a utility problem.

/B

corsairinfo.jpg.dbaf10a1daf5baa68def52770f31762d.jpg

Archived