Corsair Community

Asus P6T and my memory don't show 6gb

Hollowman2212

• 3 months later...
Hello Please look at my setup, I already had my motherboard and ram and power supply replaced and it seems like my PC is running real Slow, I run Win XP pro and I know it wont show the whole 6GB but it seems like my PC runs real slow takes a couple minutes for the windows screen to load, I checked all the Sticks and they all work just fine, can someone help me what all my BIOS settings to be, I really want to overclock my rig but anytime I change a setting in the BIOS my PC becomes unstable.

I talked to Intel about my i7 920 and they told me that the i7 920 does not support 1600mhz memory modules, they told me to get 1066mhz DDR3 what do you recommend? I want the best I can get for my system, Intel told me that is most likely the problem why my system is running so slow, should I change the settings of the memory? if so what can I do so I don't have to purchase anymore memory modules?

I talked to Intel about my i7 920 and they told me that the i7 920 does not support 1600mhz memory modules, they told me to get 1066mhz DDR3 what do you recommend? I want the best I can get for my system, Intel told me that is most likely the problem why my system is running so slow, should I change the settings of the memory? if so what can I do so I don't have to purchase anymore memory modules?

Normally, you should not run memory any faster than DDR3-1066 with your CPU unless you overclock it. This is because the Intel i7 memory controller uses a multiplier setting based on the CPU's base frequency of 133MHz. And in internal testing it was decided that the best performance is attained using a memory multiplier of either 6 or 8 with an LGA1366 processor with a triple-channel memory controller (at stock speeds, these two ratios correspond to memory speeds of DDR3-800 and DDR3-1066, respectively). Increasing the memory multiplier of such a CPU much higher than 8 will not only increase the overall latency of the memory subsystem (and thus causing some slowdown of overall system performance), but will also heat up the CPU core temperature to a significantly higher temperature than it normally is, which may cause some instability of system operation (meaning that the likelihood of crashes in Windows would increase significantly). In fact, I would rather overclock this particular CPU than stretch the memory multiplier out so far from optimal. (The LGA1156 CPUs with dual-channel memory controllers are optimized for memory multipliers of 8 or 10, corresponding to memory speeds of DDR3-1066 and DDR3-1333, respectively.)

Fortunately, I found that with just stock CPU cooling and some voltage tweaking (such as readjusting the Vcore and VTT from the default 1.15V to around 1.2V to 1.25V), the i7-920 (in its newer, currently available D0 stepping) can be overclocked from its stock 2.66GHz to around 3.4 to 3.5 GHz without heating up the CPU excessively at full load. This is done by simply increasing the CPU's base frequency from the stock 133MHz to as high as 175MHz (even higher frequencies are possible, but the heat would have increased so much that a better-performing CPU cooling solution is required if you want to go much above 3.5GHz). At 3.5GHz, the memory (with the multiplier set at 8) will run at DDR3-1400 speed.

Can you describe what specific problems you are having and what steps you have taken to troubleshoot?

Normally, you should not run memory any faster than DDR3-1066 with your CPU unless you overclock it. This is because the Intel i7 memory controller uses a multiplier setting based on the CPU's base frequency of 133MHz. And in internal testing it was decided that the best performance is attained using a memory multiplier of either 6 or 8 with an LGA1366 processor with a triple-channel memory controller (at stock speeds, these two ratios correspond to memory speeds of DDR3-800 and DDR3-1066, respectively). Increasing the memory multiplier of such a CPU much higher than 8 will not only increase the overall latency of the memory subsystem (and thus causing some slowdown of overall system performance), but will also heat up the CPU core temperature to a significantly higher temperature than it normally is, which may cause some instability of system operation (meaning that the likelihood of crashes in Windows would increase significantly). In fact, I would rather overclock this particular CPU than stretch the memory multiplier out so far from optimal. (The LGA1156 CPUs with dual-channel memory controllers are optimized for memory multipliers of 8 or 10, corresponding to memory speeds of DDR3-1066 and DDR3-1333, respectively.)

Fortunately, I found that with just stock CPU cooling and some voltage tweaking (such as readjusting the Vcore and VTT from the default 1.15V to around 1.2V to 1.25V), the i7-920 (in its newer, currently available D0 stepping) can be overclocked from its stock 2.66GHz to around 3.4 to 3.5 GHz without heating up the CPU excessively at full load. This is done by simply increasing the CPU's base frequency from the stock 133MHz to as high as 175MHz (even higher frequencies are possible, but the heat would have increased so much that a better-performing CPU cooling solution is required if you want to go much above 3.5GHz). At 3.5GHz, the memory (with the multiplier set at 8) will run at DDR3-1400 speed.

Thank you indeed for the detailed info that is easy to understand

I am planning the same setup.If I may ask

how would one OC the CPU ,which freq or voltage, so that the memory is happy at 1600

Dietmar

I am planning the same setup.If I may ask

how would one OC the CPU ,which freq or voltage, so that the memory is happy at 1600

To do this you would overclock your i7-920 CPU to 4.0GHz (using a base CPU frequency of 200MHz instead of the stock 133MHz). Unfortunately, you will need to use a Vcore and VTT setting of 1.325V to 1.35V, and you will also need to use a better CPU cooler than the stock Intel boxed CPU cooler if you're going to do anything more than Web surfing or word processing with such a highly overclocked CPU. Remember, the more voltage you give your i7 CPU, the hotter it will become!

You can also enable the XMP profile or manually set the 2:12 memory divider in the BIOS. This will leave the CPU cores at their stock speeds. The memory controller will be OCed from 1333 to 1600.

True. But on my motherboard the VTT (Uncore Voltage) also gets set to a higher 1.35V (from the stock 1.15V) when the XMP profile is set. The VTT voltage increase has a slight effect on the CPU temperatures. If the system runs unstable at anything beyond the stock DDR3-1066 speed even with XMP enabled, then the memory module is likely faulty.

And the stock i7-920 memory speed is actually only 1066, not 1333. Intel does not officially support even DDR3-1333 memory, let alone DDR3-1600 memory, in its Bloomfield-core non-Extreme CPUs.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived