Corsair Community

Memtest86+ Question

train448

Hello All,

I am trying to diagnose why my computer seems to lock up under varying degrees of load. I suspect its the RAM for a number of reasons so I ran Memtest86+ v 2.11. I decided to be safe, I would run each of my sticks one at a time for better results. With the first stick installed, on the first pass something must have happened that turned up an error because my screen had turned to nothing but blue vertical bars, white stripes and one short green bar at the very top. I could not escape out of this screen or return to the memtest default screen at all. I am not sure what this weird looking screen means (perhaps a map of where a fault in the ram is?). I rebooted, and ran the test again and it completed 5 passes without error or this screen. Not feeling too confident, I ran the test again all night and at some point, the screen returned to this blue and white stripped screen. I haven't yet even tried testing the second stick. If anyone can tell me what this screen means, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Just for a reference, when memtest finds a bad module, there will be a horizontial row of red blocks running along the mid lower part of the test screen alerting the viewer that the memory has failed the test.

The only time I've seen something of what you're describing is when my

ebay bought videocard was bad and had to be returned.

Just a wild guess is that maybe a BIOS setting isn't allowing memtest to run properly.

• Corsair Employee
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and load setup defaults and then set the memory Voltage to 1.7 Volts then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org to be sure one is not failing. If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Archived