Corsair Community

iCue Link Max brightness reduced due to hub power limitation and pump noise

Changed out my Corsair iCue H150i Elite Capellix for the iCue Link H150i RGB cooler with LCD screen. Installed on Sunday and first thing I noticed was how loud the pump was compared to my Elite Capellix. When switching the pump settings (Quiet Balanced and Extreme) the sound gets louder with the Extreme setting being the loudest.  I also installed 3 additional QX120 RBG fans (Triple fan starter kit) for a total of 6 fans (3 on the AIO rad) in my case. I connected 3 of the fans directly to the Link hub on one side and I connected the 3 fans from the radiator to the other side of the Link Hub. If I disconnect the 3 fans from the hub the message goes away and only have the 3 fans connected to cooler connected to the hub. Now on Tuesday two days after the install when I start my PC, I receive the following message in the iCUe software: " Brightness Reduced. The maximum brightness was reduced due to the iCUE Link system hub power limitation. Reduce the number of connected devices to apply higher brightness level. All software and firmware are up to date, I uninstalled and reinstalled the iCUE software and received the same message. I thought one single hub could control 14 fans. Since I received a second hub with the fan starter kit, I tried the second hub and received the same message. I am using a Corsair AX1600i PSU. Funny as I did not receive this message for the first two days and now on the third day the aforementioned message is displayed. I really do not want to use the second hub to control just three light and have to connect another power cable to my PSU, connect another cable from the hub to a USB header on my mother board, and the fan cable. My old sytem worked just fine with the Corsair QL 120 RGB fans (3 in the case and 3 on the CPU rad) I like not having all the extra wires. I already sent an email to Corsair and recieved a support ticket number for the pump noise and the message.    

Capture.JPG

Edited by Grunt

Do you remember which day your CUE updated to v5.12?  I have not seen this “brightness reduction” error message posted before. All the traffic the last few months has been about the “false” overcurrent protection and many users were seeing it when way under the device limit. I am wondering if this is a consequence of an attempted fix for that issue — unintentional or otherwise. If true, I think you’ll have company in here pretty quick. 

A lot of users were running into the OCP issue with 6 fans plus AIO on one side of the hub. You seem to have thoughtfully balanced this out from the start, so again this very strange. Is there anything unusual about the 6 pin PCI-e connection in?  A dual 8+6 going to another device?  Are you able to use a different socket on the PSU end?  Some mid level PSUs do some interesting sharing between sockets, but this seems utterly ridiculous on a 1600i. 

Almost same hardware, same problem.  My power supply is a Seasonic PRIME TX 1300W Titanium.  I have had the iCUE LINK gear since back in June, and this is first time I have seen this.  I just updated the firmware not 10 minutes ago 1.8.369 and this issue popped up.

Same issue is also being posted about in the Overcurrent Protection mega thread. There's now three warnings with this one being new.

Same issue here as well weirdly. Updated today and got the message pop-up.

Not sure if anyone else has this either but it also seems the fans don't spin up anymore regarding temperature under load. Idled at 45-50C before update, now sometimes at 57. If no-one else has this I'm gonna make a ticket for it most likely.

I've got the same issue. I've got ther H150i 360 AIO cooler and I got the QX120 3 fan kit. I've got the AIO and one fan plugged into one port and two fans plugged into the second on one hub. I keep getting port 1 and 2 surge error messages and also the ones about brightness being reduced. I'm running an RM1200X PSU with a 14900K and 4090. 

23 minutes ago, Xelereth said:

Same issue here as well weirdly. Updated today and got the message pop-up.

Not sure if anyone else has this either but it also seems the fans don't spin up anymore regarding temperature under load. Idled at 45-50C before update, now sometimes at 57. If no-one else has this I'm gonna make a ticket for it most likely.

Fixed the idling temps, iCue decided it was fine to just not detect any other devices anymore other than the fans and had to reinstall the program... Again.

Still getting the ''brightness reduced'' message though.

Same problem. Using 10 QX Fans 6 on the right port and 4 one the left port. 

I'm italian.

I have the same problem. I have the icue h150i rgb with display. I also have 7 other qx 120 rgb fans.

Using 10 qx fans me too. 6 on the right port and 4 on the left port.

I updated the software and the firmware a little while ago.

I updated today and I'm now getting this error message, after months of using my system just fine. I have 9x QX120s and 3x QX140s connected to a single hub, alongside the iCue Link H150i RGB cooler with LCD screen.

9nwmDLB.png

Just had update for ICUE also after several months with no issue and previous updates suddenly now have error message in photo. I have 6 x QX 120mm on one channel and on other channel Corsair iCUE LINK H150i LCD 360mm and 1 x QX 120mm corsair. Pain when you have smoked glass as now all are a lot dimmer. Any help would gladly be welcomed :)

image_2024-02-29_233845240.png

So with everyone posting above, clearly this is part of the attempted adjustment for the OCP issue and this is a version specific problem.  No one needs to go buy a new PSU or start swapping power cables.  

A lot of you are doing this already, but please list what hardware is connected to your hub with numbers: 9 QX, CUE Link AIO, XC7 Elite GPU Block, etc.  I suspect there is a specific current level that triggers the warning and we might be able to narrow it down to some type of # of QX + Device Type formula to help people avoid it in the meantime.  Adding a second hub is likely not a winning strategy for most, short term or otherwise, but it might help some users.  I've been on this version for a while and did not get the error with 4 QX fans.  That's not a lot, so not surprising.  One of the more common devices I am seeing in everyone's list above is the CUE Link AIO.  Certainly the pump motor and RGB on that uses more power than any QX fan.  I suspect the same is going to apply for anyone using a XD5 Elite that also is a high current device compared to a couple of fans.  *(Given the information at the end, it may not matter and this may be an automatic error when CUE 5.12.97 meets FW 1.8.369.  I am not on the same FW and thus this is the more likely reason I don't see the error rather than fan count).

The other obvious point is try to avoid the white out color theme right now.  255/255/255 is the most RGB power the LEDs can draw.  A preset like Watercolor Spectrum is also going to be high on the LED power draw.  If you need it, you can try running reduced white brightness like 180/180/180 or similar.  Also, you can throw a black shade over any lighting pattern to reduce its lighting output.  Create a static black color layer and put it on the top of your effect list.  Slide the opacity down until you reach the brightness level you want -- or one that doesn't trigger the brightness warning.  These tweaks might work for those of you with a high number of QX.  If you're running the AIO or Hydro X and 6 fans, the pump is likely the largest part of the current allowance and not much you can do about that other than speed mitigation.  (This may only matter if you fans are actually dimming).  

*Project Manager stated on Reddit the change is to allow up to 12 devices per channel (side) of the CUE Link hub.  Once you go past the original 7 per side, it will dim to maintain the total current threshold.  The warning is supposed to kick on and dim only once you add more than 7 per side.  Since none of you knew about this and don't have more than 7 devices per side, the warning is in error and should not have triggered.  The next question is whether you see actual dimming or just the warning?  Supposedly there is a second FW update coming to properly bring this into alignment.  Time frame not specified.  

Edited by c-attack
  • Like 1

im not surprised if this happen after last year i had overheat and explode icue hub i send back for investigate what caused this problem....i was using 14 units for day/nights for one and half month  and one day really just explode the hub and burn the fan control module on each fans  sooo now i use with 12units...i hope this all new design not end with recall etc....because  i like them.SOLUTION use 2 icue hubs and no limit.

8 hours ago, c-attack said:

So with everyone posting above, clearly this is part of the attempted adjustment for the OCP issue and this is a version specific problem.  No one needs to go buy a new PSU or start swapping power cables.  

A lot of you are doing this already, but please list what hardware is connected to your hub with numbers: 9 QX, CUE Link AIO, XC7 Elite GPU Block, etc.  I suspect there is a specific current level that triggers the warning and we might be able to narrow it down to some type of # of QX + Device Type formula to help people avoid it in the meantime.  Adding a second hub is likely not a winning strategy for most, short term or otherwise, but it might help some users.  I've been on this version for a while and did not get the error with 4 QX fans.  That's not a lot, so not surprising.  One of the more common devices I am seeing in everyone's list above is the CUE Link AIO.  Certainly the pump motor and RGB on that uses more power than any QX fan.  I suspect the same is going to apply for anyone using a XD5 Elite that also is a high current device compared to a couple of fans.  *(Given the information at the end, it may not matter and this may be an automatic error when CUE 5.12.97 meets FW 1.8.369.  I am not on the same FW and thus this is the more likely reason I don't see the error rather than fan count).

The other obvious point is try to avoid the white out color theme right now.  255/255/255 is the most RGB power the LEDs can draw.  A preset like Watercolor Spectrum is also going to be high on the LED power draw.  If you need it, you can try running reduced white brightness like 180/180/180 or similar.  Also, you can throw a black shade over any lighting pattern to reduce its lighting output.  Create a static black color layer and put it on the top of your effect list.  Slide the opacity down until you reach the brightness level you want -- or one that doesn't trigger the brightness warning.  These tweaks might work for those of you with a high number of QX.  If you're running the AIO or Hydro X and 6 fans, the pump is likely the largest part of the current allowance and not much you can do about that other than speed mitigation.  (This may only matter if you fans are actually dimming).  

*Project Manager stated on Reddit the change is to allow up to 12 devices per channel (side) of the CUE Link hub.  Once you go past the original 7 per side, it will dim to maintain the total current threshold.  The warning is supposed to kick on and dim only once you add more than 7 per side.  Since none of you knew about this and don't have more than 7 devices per side, the warning is in error and should not have triggered.  The next question is whether you see actual dimming or just the warning?  Supposedly there is a second FW update coming to properly bring this into alignment.  Time frame not specified.  

So just to clarify something.

Does this update actually effect the brightness? it's not an incorrect error message that we can ignore? I can't actually remember what it was like before the update to know if my lighting is less bright, if it is then it's subtle.

I can't remember exactly my setup as i'm not at home, but i have a total of 10 QX120 fans and a H150i and i think one port of the LINK hub might have 7 fans and one port 3 fans, i certainly don't exceed the maximum of 7 fans, i made that mistake when i first built the PC then quickly resolved it.

23 minutes ago, giggsy11 said:

So just to clarify something.

Does this update actually effect the brightness? it's not an incorrect error message that we can ignore? I can't actually remember what it was like before the update to know if my lighting is less bright, if it is then it's subtle.

I can't remember exactly my setup as i'm not at home, but i have a total of 10 QX120 fans and a H150i and i think one port of the LINK hub might have 7 fans and one port 3 fans, i certainly don't exceed the maximum of 7 fans, i made that mistake when i first built the PC then quickly resolved it.

It does for me at least. You can probably verify it by switching to hardware lighting in iCUE or simply by closing iCUE and watching the brightness ramp up. It’s clearly an iCUE bug because the hardware lighting is unaffected. 

1 hour ago, giggsy11 said:

Does this update actually effect the brightness?

That was my question for everyone here. Mixed responses in Corsair Reddit with some saying yes and others no. If no, then it’s just an annoying pop up.  If yes and the information above is accurate, then there may not be a workaround with the false flag instantly generated on load. Maybe the better question is if there is anyone not getting this messaging on 5.12 + FW 1.8xxx?

59 minutes ago, c-attack said:

That was my question for everyone here. Mixed responses in Corsair Reddit with some saying yes and others no. If no, then it’s just an annoying pop up.  If yes and the information above is accurate, then there may not be a workaround with the false flag instantly generated on load. Maybe the better question is if there is anyone not getting this messaging on 5.12 + FW 1.8xxx?

Of course the information above is accurate lol. It's yet another iCUE bug, which seem to arrive fairly regularly these days unfortunately.