Corsair Community

Af120 and Sp 120 elite

Go to solution Solved by c-attack,

Hello so I bought a h150i elite that comes with af120 fans and I bought 7 sp120 elite fans that comes with a lighting node core. The AIO comes with a commander core and I was wondering since they are different models how do I connect these fans to make them compatible. Can I connect the af120 and the sp120 to the commander core? Can I get a pwm hub and connect it to a commander core slot to control the rpm of all fans? And with the rgb can I connect both fans models to the commander core e.g 3af120 and 2sp120 on the commander core to control the rgb. The rest of the 5 would be connected to the pwm fan hub connected to the commander core. When it comes to rgb could I connect 3 af120 and 3 sp120 to the commander core and the last 4 to the lighting node core. I know they may have different led but can anyone advise me on the best way to make these compatible. I didn’t buy af120 due to them being incredibly expensive 

AF-Elite and SP-Elite fans are rgb identical. Both have 8 led center hubs and CUE does not distinguish between them or the also identical ML-Elite. All of them go under the “8 led fan series” label in CUE and they can be mixed together in any order on the same controller. 

For speed control a powered PWM hub connected to the Commander Core will be the best option. While you can mix AF and SP on the PWM hub, they won’t run the same speed at PWM % X because they have different rpm ranges. You may wish to keep most of the SP-Elite on the PWM hub and the three AF plus SP-Elite rear exhaust fan on the Com Core directly. 

If I didn’t care for the speed of the fans could I just connect 3 af120 and 3sp120 to the commander core and then connect the last 4 fans to the motherboard while having the rgb connected to the lighting node core? By the way the 3af120 are from the AIO and I will top mount them. If I connect all 7 sp120 to the pwm hub and the rgb to the commander core and lighting node i would be able to control speed and RGB in ICUE right?

Edited by RICKZFN

• Solution
10 hours ago, RICKZFN said:

If I connect all 7 sp120 to the pwm hub and the rgb to the commander core and lighting node i would be able to control speed and RGB in ICUE right?

Correct.  The 3 AF fans will be individually controllable.  The 7 SP-Elite will show as "one fan" in CUE and all will react to your programming there.

10 hours ago, RICKZFN said:

If I didn’t care for the speed of the fans could I just connect 3 af120 and 3sp120 to the commander core and then connect the last 4 fans to the motherboard while having the rgb connected to the lighting node core?

Yes, speed control and RGB control are completely separate with one wire for each. They can go to different controllers, including different Corsair controllers.  It does not affect the basic functionality.