Corsair Community

Corsair Icue Link Power Supply

Hello to the possible readers/helpers her,

i just got my Corsair QX Fan Starter Kit and right now im a bit annoyed as it seems like i wont be even able to use it properly.
I have an corsair RM750x in use(Layout below) and wonder how i am supposed to get the power to the Link hub.

So from how i understood, i need an 6pin PCIE. But heres the Problem. 2x 8Pin goes to the graphics card. The other 2x 8Pin goes to the mainboard for the cpu. And other people in forum told i can use a cable like this? Is that correct? And any possible way to still get it to work? https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07CZ4M2KK/

grafik.png.c59227207846aa6b59005a94a1b7de4d.png

there's not enough sockets on your PSU.

That said... unless your CPU is one of the latest AMD Threadripper and you overclock it heavily, you do not need two cables to power it.

So you could remove one of the EPS12V cables (CPU power) and use that free socket to connect your Link controller.

Ok. Thanks for the reply. Still sucks, but it is how it is. Kinda annoyed by the Link System already. 17€ additionally to be able to run my old LED strips... absolutely overpriced. Im willing to pay a bit more for corsair stuff... but this ecosystem is ridiculous. And Well... needing a 6 Pin Pcie while most people have plenty sata ports left, is also pretty weird.

4 minutes ago, Luc1luc said:

needing a 6 Pin Pcie while most people have plenty sata ports left, is also pretty weird

Not weird — 14 device limit including AIOs and D5 pumps, motor power and rgb lighting. SATA power wouldn’t be enough to do it with one connection. This is a generational change in control systems from the Pro/Core separate controllers to a unified system. 

27 minutes ago, c-attack said:

Not weird — 14 device limit including AIOs and D5 pumps, motor power and rgb lighting. SATA power wouldn’t be enough to do it with one connection. This is a generational change in control systems from the Pro/Core separate controllers to a unified system. 

Good point. Maybe im just mad that i might need a different PSU. 😅OR more like i definetly need another one. And this was just 2 years old. But it is how it is.

If i may just ask this in here, any disadvantage of straight going up to 1000W instead like 850W i dont see any... maybe the size?

size and cost, the obvious.

but if you have a good deal on a 1000W, , the PSU won't have to work hard and it will possibly work with passive cooling all the time (fan staying off). that's quieter.

And ... that adapter. Personally, I'd be nervous about using it - I've seen too many SATA adapters/splitters melt due to overpower.

That said, the 6-pin PCIe connector for the Link controllers supports up to 75W (6.25A) @ 12V.  SATA connectors would support 54W (4.5A) @ 12V each ... so two of them should be plenty of power to avoid the overpower on the SATA connectors with some room to spare as well. Hypothetically speaking. 

10 hours ago, Luc1luc said:

If i may just ask this in here, any disadvantage of straight going up to 1000W instead like 850W i dont see any... maybe the size?

As above, no inherent disadvantage besides a potential cost increase.  PSUs don't always price linearly, so take a look around.  $20 more for a 1000W is usually a better deal because of the way the companies package stuff.  You still might come up short somewhere with a 850W in terms of connections.  1000W PSUs typically do not skimp on connections and that's usually the larger benefit vs the extra 150W none of us use.  

Edited by c-attack