Corsair Community

Corsair One i160 CPU Overheating

I have a Corsair One i160, purchased in August of 2019.  A few days ago the heat warning appeared on the case (left side RGB off, right side RGB flashing red). The system was basically idle.

I took it apart, cleaned out all of the fans and radiators, etc. Nothing was particularly dirty or dusty. Still overheating.

I replaced the thermal paste with a fresh application of Corsair XTM50. Still overheating.

Ambient room temp is roughly 74F/23C. The unit is well ventilated on a desktop, no blockages, etc.

Any ideas on what I should check next?

Thank you,

20230531-i160-temps.png

20230531b-i160-temps.png

I have the same setup, and exact same issue. Opened up the case, cleaned out any dust, still the random once every few days Red Flashing LED and machine locks up or reboots to BIOS.  All my fans and pumps are working. I"m updating iCUE to 5v today 6/1 to see if this helps.  The machine appears to overheat and lockup even sitting idle for hours, which never happened before.

I tend to lean towards a contact issue with the CPU. Maybe dried up thermal paste that does not conduct heat properly anymore, but you ruled that out.

the CPU coolant temperature seems to stop creeping up on your second screenshot, so it's maaaybe not a total pump blockage issue. The AIO is 5 years old so it could still be a possibility that it starts to gunk up.

You could leave it open while it runs if possible, and feel the tubes going to the pump head. if one is very warm and the other just slightly (or even cool), you know there's a blockage. In a normal situation, you should be able to feel the temperature difference, but it should be minimal, maybe a couple of degrees.

• Thanks 1

On 6/1/2023 at 8:43 AM, GWF said:

I have the same setup, and exact same issue. Opened up the case, cleaned out any dust, still the random once every few days Red Flashing LED and machine locks up or reboots to BIOS.  All my fans and pumps are working. I"m updating iCUE to 5v today 6/1 to see if this helps.  The machine appears to overheat and lockup even sitting idle for hours, which never happened before.

I updated the cooling fan profile to "Extreme" and that seems to prevent the runaway heating and keeps temps just below or at the thermal threshold for alarm. You may have luck doing the same while figuring out the root cause of the overheating.

20230602-icue-cooling.png

On 6/1/2023 at 9:00 AM, LeDoyen said:

I tend to lean towards a contact issue with the CPU. Maybe dried up thermal paste that does not conduct heat properly anymore, but you ruled that out.

the CPU coolant temperature seems to stop creeping up on your second screenshot, so it's maaaybe not a total pump blockage issue. The AIO is 5 years old so it could still be a possibility that it starts to gunk up.

You could leave it open while it runs if possible, and feel the tubes going to the pump head. if one is very warm and the other just slightly (or even cool), you know there's a blockage. In a normal situation, you should be able to feel the temperature difference, but it should be minimal, maybe a couple of degrees.

Thank you for the tips. I will attempt to run it with the pump accessible to see if I can feel the difference and report back. If it is a blockage, partial or otherwise, in the AIO, what would be the resolution? Is the AIO in the Corsair One i160 a stock cooler from Corsair? Since it's already out of warranty, is it possible to flush the AIO myself?

Thank you.

you'd probably have to contact Corsair support see if they have spare AIOs in stock for exchange. It wouldn't be free if it's out of warranty i supose. I don't think they sell them in the shop at all. they are not off the shelf AIOs.

• Thanks 1