Corsair Community

DDR5 Dominator 64GB kit - Asus - Memory detect and reboots.

axiun
Go to solution Solved by bravegag,

I've had this board since launch. In the begging, I had it with 4x16GB sticks from two corsair kits and with early bios revisions that was a nightmare. Fine, I've sold the kits and switched to a single 64GB kit. I was hoping for plug and play. Just XMP is enabled.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Catego...GX5M2B5200C40W

I need stability out of this rig, and I'm having two big issues. Every couple of reboots, I'll get stuck on memory detect while booting. I'll have to power cycle and it'll kick me to bios saying it couldn't boot, I'll go into bios and without changing anything, it'll keep working for another couple of boots. The other issue is win 11 refuses to wake from sleep. Instead of waking the system, it will reboot. Bios is 2004

Memtest passes fine. 

Tried VCCSA voltages from 1.1-1.4, no affect.
Tried setting the speed to 4800mhz, no affect.
Updated bios from 2004 to 2103, no affect.
Tried slots A1-B1, system wouldn't even post at anything above 4000mhz.

What is the issue with this kit? Why doesn't it work at XMP rated settings? 
Current bios settings -

Screenshot 2022-10-24 100212.gif

221013091524.jpg

221013091512.jpg

221013091604.jpg

221013091626.jpg

221013091608.jpg

the problem may not be the ram but the fact that you have 4 sticks, probably dual rank too, on an alder lake CPU.

the RAM speed specification decreases with the number of slots, ram sticks and if they are single or dual rank. They support up to 4800mhz on double slot motherboards, but down to 3600mhz on 4 slots motherboards with 4 dual rank sticks. That reduces  the maximum overclock the memory controller can achieve with XMP too.

If i was to get an alderlake build, i'd favor using 2x32gb instead of 4x16.

But that doesn't explain why you are still stuck below 4000 with only 2 sticks.. Do you reset the bios to default between tests? Often that needs to be done to fuly apply the whole XMP profile, as some secondary timings aren't always properly reset..

It’s a 2 stick kit. 2x32gb. It’s liked in the original post. 

I’ve reset cmos multiple times. 

Edited by axiun

aah you said a single 64Gb so i understood a 4x16.

The link doesn't work for me.

I think something’s up with the site. Forums are loading funky and the main site is acting strange. 

Yeah, the whole point of switching to this 2x32 kit was that 4x16 was very unstable

Edited by axiun

Err, there's no way to edit posts after a certain amount of time? Thats... odd. 

Seems corsair changed the product link. Here's the new link to the kit I'm using.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/DOMINATOR-PLATINUM-RGB-DDR5-Memory---White/p/CMT64GX5M2B5200C40W 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, axiun said:

I think something’s up with the site. Forums are loading funky and the main site is acting strange.

Please clarify and we can look into it, thanks.

30 minutes ago, axiun said:

Err, there's no way to edit posts after a certain amount of time? Thats... odd.

5 minute edit window to stop spammers.

30 minutes ago, axiun said:

Seems corsair changed the product link. Here's the new link to the kit I'm using.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/DOMINATOR-PLATINUM-RGB-DDR5-Memory---White/p/CMT64GX5M2B5200C40W 

No, there's just an incomplete link in the first post. Looks like it was copied from somewhere where it was truncated.

I thought somethings up with the site because the OP link was acting weird. I realized that it's an incomplete url. So that makes sense. 

Please help. 

I can tell you I just posted about that last week and got one answer if I tested a certain way then nothing. I am running a 64gb kit, with two 32gb sticks. When I enable XMPI/II in any form, I get stability issues.  I am not over clocking, letting ASUS handle everything on my Asus Z690 Maximus Extreme MB and I have to run at stock speed of 4000Mhz or I get data corruption, Reboots, Errors in Event Viewer, Game Errors, APP's crashing and etc.  Only until I Enforced all limits on Intel Adaptive and Asus Multicore Enhancement and stopped using XMP profiles did my system run as expected with no more errors or corruption. 

Hope this helps you.

I mentioned this in a previous post. I have a similar setup but probably more prone to instability because of not one but two 64GB kits together; it has been working perfectly for a month already.

• ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z690 Extreme with BIOS 2103
  • 2x CMT64GX5M2B5200C40 kits for a total of 128GB
  • I setup the XMPII profile and no other important changes on BIOS
  • RAM is running at 5200Mhz

I'm running Windows 11 Pro with a lot of extra cards e.g. Creative AE-9 etc. I have a happy stable system NP. I work daily on it. I have ran benchmarks using Passmark PerformanceTest and got top score no problem:

https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V10/display.php?id=164004842012

Edited by bravegag

Can we see a CPUz report on it?  I tried 4 originally for 128gb, but one set failed memtest so I changed it.  Then corsair said they wont run 4 modules together. What serials on your memory with a manufacturer date?  I'm curious to know what timeframe as compared to others.  I would love to run my full 128gb as well but cant safely. I use my PC for work and pleasure and cant risk issues when worked.  I even went as far as replacing memory 3 times, motherboard twice because ASUS and Corsair they were bad.  Still cant run 4 modules on XMP, much less two of them.

Hi @TCMathews here is a full report using CPUZ CPU Benchmark. I am fighting some peak CPU temps atm but the RAM is good:

https://valid.x86.fr/ivgbtl

I need to go to the cellar to find the boxes with the serial numbers.

Edited by bravegag

21 hours ago, TCMathews said:

I can tell you I just posted about that last week and got one answer if I tested a certain way then nothing. I am running a 64gb kit, with two 32gb sticks. When I enable XMPI/II in any form, I get stability issues.  I am not over clocking, letting ASUS handle everything on my Asus Z690 Maximus Extreme MB and I have to run at stock speed of 4000Mhz or I get data corruption, Reboots, Errors in Event Viewer, Game Errors, APP's crashing and etc.  Only until I Enforced all limits on Intel Adaptive and Asus Multicore Enhancement and stopped using XMP profiles did my system run as expected with no more errors or corruption. 

Hope this helps you.

Thanks!

No dice, unfortunately. I did a complete cmos reset. Chose to enforce all limits, did not set xmp and manually chose my kits rated 5200mt speed and set the primary rated timings - 40-40-40-77. Put the system to sleep and tried to wake it up, the system hung on 'detect memory'

😞

OK after an extensive search and capture, found the two RAM boxes 😄

Both show a big number 29-360-177, attached the pics below.

630726A4-8F72-4E0F-81EB-05974C58D99B.thumb.jpeg.454dc3f4ee8cc58d80b5fa48be706c22.jpegA33C8DEC-E1B1-46BA-9475-CA9B081575EB.thumb.jpeg.ecfc4d27abc346f5221ce7e862348a05.jpeg

and here a pic of the CPUZ:

image.png.cf52bbf5db8e314c3ff74aacbb8a90b1.png

Edited by bravegag

• Solution

Another thing that comes to my mind is the contact and over under pressure when installing the CPU, For example, using the socket adapter for the 1700 from Grizzly and when over torquing or under torquing the adapter onto the socket can cause memory problems. Probably then same when there is a contact issue with the normal installation or bent socket  pins.

Just an idea probably worth checking.

On 11/5/2022 at 12:34 AM, bravegag said:

Another thing that comes to my mind is the contact and over under pressure when installing the CPU, For example, using the socket adapter for the 1700 from Grizzly and when over torquing or under torquing the adapter onto the socket can cause memory problems. Probably then same when there is a contact issue with the normal installation or bent socket  pins.

Just an idea probably worth checking.

That turned out to be it. 

I was using a contact frame replacement for z690. I've reseated my AIO and reseated the contact frame multiple times, but none of it would work. Once I switched back to the stock intel ILM mechanism, the system has been waking from sleep without rebooting and I haven't seen a detect memory error in a day. Fingers crossed, that's all it was. 

Bummer, as the temps on this CPU are 5-6c higher without the contact frame, but I couldn't get the pressure just right. This is with the thermalright frame. 

• Like 1

@axiun I'm very glad to hear that we nailed it.

Judging by all the YouTube reviews for the socket 1700 adapters, Thermal Grizzly had the advantage of a clean installation process avoiding over or under torquing. The TG adapter even has markings to rotate evenly and progressively all the four screws. I think from Steve's video, the idea was a first torque backwards until a click is heard, then 90degree per screw, and then progressively 45degree each in a X pattern until all the screws where at a predefined level. So, maybe go for the TG one despite costing a bit more. 

I have also been contemplating mounting the TG adapter for the extra thermal performance but the extra degree gains for me don't yet justify the assembly risks involved from taking apart a perfectly working system. I think I will wait for the next 13Gen Intel release above the i9-13900 to upgrade my current i9-12900KS and then take the opportunity to install the TG adapter at that point.