Corsair Community

Xd5 vs xd7 performance numbers

Dustinhunt1978

I am trying to find out some system performance numbers to compare the xd5 pump/reservoir combo vs. the xd7 distro plate setup.  I have a 7000x case, so either will fit fine.  But nowhere can I find anything that compares the cooling efficiency between the two!  Does one setup better the other in any way when it comes to the actual performance of the system?  Thank you!

Since they are the same D5 pump unit, the performance theoretically should be the same.  In actual use I suppose you could argue that using a distro plate creates additional length in the system with the repeated back and forth runs that would not necessarily exist in a standard pump/res combo system, but that's really needling for separation.  You should make the decision based on the type of reservoir you want.  There will be no meaningful performance difference.

• Thanks 1

in terms of cooling, both pumps are watercooled and will veeeeeeery slightly warm up the water if you're picky 🙂

Pumps play no role in the cooling performance, only your radiators and fans do. Pumps only come into play if your flow is way too small and the blocks can't get rid of warm water fast enough.  But that happens at stupidly low speeds anyway so you won't have that problem.

Just take the pump/res that you prefer for the build.  If really cooling performance is your goal, maybe the XD5 is better, because you could install an additional radiator where a XD7 would go? see what fits in your case in terms of radiators, put as any as you can? then install the pump that fits?

• Thanks 1

Thank you!  This is going to be my first custom water cooled build.  Corsair has a very nice tool for building a custom system.  If I go with the xd5, I can get 2x 360mm radiators and 1x 420mm.  According to what Corsair says concerning that configuration, the fans should never even hit full speed even with the loop cooling cpu, gpu and m.2 ssd.  We'll see how right they are!   Thanks again for the insight!