Corsair Community

Can a 3000MHz RAM modules run at 2666Mhz automatically with XMP?

ProgmanGR

Hi all!

I have a question for a new build.

Motherboard: MSI B460M PRO

CPU: Intel Core i5-10600

I have found as an offer, the Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz 8GB (2 x 4GB) CMK8GX4M2C3000C16 memory modules. The CPU's normal speed is 2666MHz for RAM.

Therefore, my question is, can I use these 3000MHz modules with this morherboard and make them automatically (via a simple setting such as XMP) to run at 2666MHz?

I do not want to overclock anything or to change manually the frequency and timings...

Thank you.

• Corsair Employee
Hi all!

I have a question for a new build.

Motherboard: MSI B460M PRO

CPU: Intel Core i5-10600

I have found as an offer, the Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz 8GB (2 x 4GB) CMK8GX4M2C3000C16 memory modules. The CPU's normal speed is 2666MHz for RAM.

Therefore, my question is, can I use these 3000MHz modules with this morherboard and make them automatically (via a simple setting such as XMP) to run at 2666MHz?

I do not want to overclock anything or to change manually the frequency and timings...

Thank you.

The XMP profile is going to be set for 3000mhz as that is what it is programmed to. How your motherboard interacts with that profile when its enabled is going to be up to your motherboard manufacturer. We would recommend you contact them for such assistance.

Edited by Corsair Notepad

Thank you <Corsair Notepad>.

Because I am in hurry, and I am afraid that I'll have big delays waiting for response from manufacturer, can I ask something more?

If I put the 3000MHz modules in the motherboard and put the Frequency only (not the timings - I'll leave the timings in default values as they appears), do this memory going to work OK without Errors?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employee
Thank you <Corsair Notepad>.

Because I am in hurry, and I am afraid that I'll have big delays waiting for response from manufacturer, can I ask something more?

If I put the 3000MHz modules in the motherboard and put the Frequency only (not the timings - I'll leave the timings in default values as they appears), do this memory going to work OK without Errors?

We cannot guarantee your system will be stable when doing so. It is likely that you may experience instability if you only change the operating frequency and no other values.

usually if you enable the 3000mhz xmp profile and then select a lower frequency, it will work fine.

That said, going from 2666 to 3000 is a drop in a bucket.. that CPU would be fine running 3600 all day, it's not much of an overclock, so you might as well take the tiny bump in performance.

• Corsair Employee
usually if you enable the 3000mhz xmp profile and then select a lower frequency, it will work fine.

That said, going from 2666 to 3000 is a drop in a bucket.. that CPU would be fine running 3600 all day, it's not much of an overclock, so you might as well take the tiny bump in performance.

The OP's CPU is a non-K variant on a B460 motherboard which does not support overclocking. The CPU supports maximum of 2666mhz memory speed and therefore his motherboard is most likely locked to 2666mhz speed on the memory also due to those limitations.

Edited by Corsair Notepad
spelling

OP needs B560 to overclock his RAM. B460 doesn't support memory overclocking because Intel doing Intel things lol