has my AX1200i packed in - Pc keeps shutting down randomly

Ok, can anyone help me?

specs:-

rampage VI extreme

i9 7980XE

1080ti poseidon

64GB DDR4 CORSAIR PRO RGB

corsair AX1200i PSU

My pc will run perfect fine then just switch off completely - it seem to try and re-start for all of 1 second and stop again. it seems to run longer when on the web (youtube/ facebook etc) but when i play games (only really play PUBG) after 3-4 games it cuts off.

when it first happened i went to my mates house thinking it was the PSU - we plugged in it at his and it worked ok again (never switched off while there.)

i went to a local store and bought a replacement kettle leaad assuming it must of been a faulty lead causing the issue but it has not done it again (only difference being now i have the new lead it will come back and work for 30-40 mins before shutting off again)

Am i right in thinking this is the PSU?

i think i am going to buy one and try it out?

f it was the motherboard or CPU would it not fault different apposed to work perfectly then just shut off?

i have downloaded the MSI after-burner and checked my temps as it is water cooled it is sitting around 50 deg CPU and 53 deg GPU (google suggest this is fine)

Any help would be great, Thanks, Tom.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an AX1200i that I bought new off Newegg a few weeks ago. I am disappointed that it didn't have the USB dongle in the box or the connector cable to hook up to iCue. That was one of the primary reasons I bought the PSU. But, that is a separate topic.

This new PSU kept randomly powering off. Sometimes it'd go 6 hours. Sometimes 15 minutes.

I have the PSU mounted in a Corsair Obsidian 1000d with 13 case fans.

After a week of troubleshooting, I found the root cause.

The Obsidian 1000d has an an exhaust vent at the bottom of the case where you mount the PSU. The AX1200i manual says to mount the PSU fan so it is facing the vent (down). That is a mistake.

Heat travels up. So, the bottom side of the PSU (facing up), which is facing up if you mount the PSU's fan down, was hot to the touch whenever it randomly powered down.

On a hunch, I flipped the thing around so the PSU's fan was facing up, which went against the manual's suggestions, and haven't had another random power failure.

Basically, if heat travels up, due to its lighter density, at least it'll vent out of the PSU's fan vent instead of collecting in the PSU's housing, like what was happening to me.

This may not be a panacea for all the random reboots for this model that I've read on the web. But, I thought I'd share my recent experience with this model in hopes it might help someone.

Regards

I have the same issue. I got the ax1200i off newegg full price like 600$. It didn't come with the cables for link either. And I am in the middle of a building and have the psu out of the case. On its side so the fan has full room to breathe. And it still shuts off and gives me the red light constantly.

I am so mad . And I contacted the seller. He tried telling me it is from corsair direct ( came from China or something ( mailed from) and that that model didn't come with the cable's. Which is a lie. .

But now it's ridiculous , some say these have a problem with voltage regulation. But I just need it fixed. But seeing as these are not made anymore. I don't know what corsair will do when we send them in.. they still are under warranty thanks to corsair 10 year warranty..

I'd be happy to pay the difference for a upgraded model .

Another user not long ago had corsair support offer an HX1200i instead.

That's the only 1200W model in production currently, and way sturdier than the old AXi IMHO (same efficiency rating too, only the AX1600i is rated titanium)

You should still contact corsair support and see what they can come up with for you, link up in the forum menu

I have the same issue. I got the ax1200i off newegg full price like 600$. It didn't come with the cables for link either. And I am in the middle of a building and have the psu out of the case. On its side so the fan has full room to breathe. And it still shuts off and gives me the red light constantly.

I am so mad . And I contacted the seller. He tried telling me it is from corsair direct ( came from China or something ( mailed from) and that that model didn't come with the cable's. Which is a lie. .

But now it's ridiculous , some say these have a problem with voltage regulation. But I just need it fixed. But seeing as these are not made anymore. I don't know what corsair will do when we send them in.. they still are under warranty thanks to corsair 10 year warranty..

I'd be happy to pay the difference for a upgraded model .

Ok.....nevermind everything I said about it needing a vent to let heat escape. It shut off while I was sleeping. It made it about a day in a half.

We have the same experience my friend. I bought from Newegg. It came from China directly.

I went through the automated RMA process but haven't heard back from Corsair. I think we might be out $600 the way it is going.

I would like to thank you guys for all your support.

Every cent I paid was refunded by the 3rd party selling the PSU on NewEgg. I am sure NewEgg helped the situation along.

This PSU was likely a knock off or defective refurb. So, for those dreaming of purchasing that fat PSU with a decent price directly from China, take pause.

It seems, buying anything directly from China is a risk. Incidentally, this is the 4th component I have purchased directly from China that was manifestly different from what I paid for.

Best Regards

Buenas, tengo una fuente AX1200i que compré por amazon USA en el 2015, desde hace unos días presenta falla, la pc se reinicia de vez en cuando y al iniciar aparecía el mensaje de que había problemas con la fuente, ingresé al Bios y el voltaje de 3.3 estaba en rojo con una leve baja de tensión (2.7v). Cambie el orden de los cables y al parecer se acomodó... luego a los días, vuelve los reinicios pero esta vez se reinicia cada 20 segundos, repetidamente... Desconecte todo y realicé el self test, prende en verde, hace un leve clic y medio se mueve el ventilador a los pocos segundos se pone en rojo... Antes de realizar el self test, fui descartando componentes, las memorias, tarjeta madre, GPU, HDD, SSD todo eso esta bien... Necesito ayuda con esto. tiene alguna solución? De usar la garantía, como se procede? Edited by Guillemndza