Corsair Community

Asus vs Corsair!

ob1kev

Hi folks,

I recently bought some corsair memory (Corsair (VS1GBKIT400C3) 1024MB (2 x 512MB Matched Pair), DDR400 / PC3200, non-ECC, Unbuffered, CL3, Memory Modules) for my pc, but I've been having some problems with it. My motherboard is an Asus A7V8X-X. When playing Doom 3, the game keeps crashing after a short while, where as with my old memory everything was fine, though runs a bit slower. Could it be that I've got the wrong kind of memory for my motherboard or put it in the wrong slots? Or is there something in the bios I need to change. My cpu is an Athlon 3400 and the graphics card is a Nvidia 6800 if that is useful to know.

I would appreciate any help or advice anyone could offer!

ob1kev :)

It could easily be bios settings or some other issue. That RAM should run fine on your MOBO. First, could you please list your complete system spex and then list all the bios settings that relate to voltages, RAM, and CPU. This will help give more info so that we can spot your issue. Also, what specific model/brand of power supply are you using? And, what slots do you have your RAM in? And, is there a jumper setting for your RAM giving you the option of pins 1+2 or pins 2+3?

Mike.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your message. I'm not to technical when it comes to pc's, but I'll give you as much information as I can.

cpu - AMD Althon 3200+ (sorry made a mistake on the cpu before)

Mobo - Asus A7V8X-X

Graphics Card - Nvidia 6800

Memory - corsair memory 2 x 512MB Matched Pair, DDR400 / PC3200 (new)

OS is windows XP with sp2.

The BIOS is updated 1013, but I'm not sure about the settings for it. just standard I think. The power supply is 300W which came with the case. I wouldn't know about the jumper settings.

With the new memory in, it has crashed when playing Doom3, and when I was browsing the internet and using msn messeneger, it crashed too, but when I restarted I got this Windows Message:-

Error Caused by Graphics Device Driver

* Error Message: STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER (Q293078)

I've no idea what that means to be honest, as I've never had any problems with the pc untill I've put this new memory in.

Thanks for your help.

At a glance my first guess is that your power supply (PSU) is not sufficient. 300w is not enough considering that you have a hefty CPU, power hungry video card, and 2 512mb sticks of RAM. I would highly suggest a quality brand name PSU rated at 400w minimum.

As a starting point for troubleshooting, try using only 1 stick of the 512mb RAM temporarily. This will lower some of the power consumption. Also, while doing that you can test each stick of RAM individually with Memtest. Run this test on each stick for 5-10 passes.

Also, I realize you have a different MOBO but, some of the basics are the same as HERE. And, look over your manual and learn how to set up the bios. Set your memory voltage to 2.7v to 2.8v.

Mike.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. I'll purchase a new psu, but I'll try just using one memory stick in for now. A friend of mine suggested the memtest too, so I'll give that a go as well.

Why did I get that graphics device driver error though?

Thanks again.

Hi Mike,

I've just been reading over the posts from Jabberwok. Seems like he was having the same problems as I was. I'm not sure if I know enough about BIOS to be messing about with the memory settings. Maybe I should print out the instructions? Thanks.

Kev :)

Hello again,

I dug up my asus mobo manual and I've been looking at the BIOS settings, but I can't seem to see anything about setting DDR 6,2,2,2.5 or 2.7V etc. Does slots refer to which memory slot you've inserted the memory sticks into? Sorry if I sound lame, but I'm just learning all this really. Thanks again.

Kev :)

Yes, slots is the order of the slots you have inserted the memory into. Your MOBO manual will show you how they are numbered. Look in your manual and find a section in the bios section relating to "CHIPSET". This will explain where the bios options are located and how to configure them. Those numbers I gave you refer to latencies. It would probably be very helpful to watch the Memory Basics presentation linked at the top of this page. That will do a much better job than I can explaining things.

Mike.

Hi Mike,

I think I might have figured it out. I've tried each of the memory sticks on there own and everything has been fine. But, when I've had two in, thats when the pc has been crashing. I think you were right about my pc being under powered with the 300W psu. I'm going to buy a new psu tomorrow. Do you think a 400W would be ok? Thanks.

Hi Mike,

I think I might have figured it out. I've tried each of the memory sticks on there own and everything has been fine. But, when I've had two in, thats when the pc has been crashing. I think you were right about my pc being under powered with the 300W psu. I'm going to buy a new psu tomorrow. Do you think a 400W would be ok? Thanks.

No matter what any configurator says, I'd go far above any "minimums" you might come up with. IMO, go with 450w+. The Enermax Noisetaker 485w model I have works well with 2 different power hungry systems I have without issue. PC Power and Cooling and Sparkle are also good brands from what I hear. I'm an admin over at House of MOBOs also so you are more than welcome. We'll help you out there as much as possible.

Mike.

Hi fellas,

you might think this is a bit over the top, but I bought a triple fan 650W PSU which is supposed to be quiet too. I haven't fitted it to the pc yet though, I'm going to get a friend of mine to give me hand with it. He's knows alot about putting pc's together. I'll let you know how I get on.

Well, Mike, you were right! It was the PSU. Installed the new one, with some assistance and everything has been fine. Been playing Doom 3, Half-life2 and Scrapland with no problems. This is with the two new memory sticks in as well. I've even been trying out some 3D graphics demos to 'cook the goose' a bit. Still, everything has been fine.

Thanks for all your help guys! I'll reccomend both sites to my friends!

Well, Mike, you were right! ob1kev :)

Do you think you could teach my wife to enunciate that last part clearly? She seems to choke on it. :cool:

Great news and costs aside, I'm glad it was an easy fix as opposed to an RMA or worse.

Mike.

Do you think he's all smug?

No, not at all. But, with my wife, she seems to have some obsessive compulsive disorder to do just the opposite of what I ask her to do. Then when something goes awry, she has a hard time admitting "Mike, you were right". And, dealing with females like that has conditioned me well for working with computers. :laughing:

L8R, Mike.

Hi Mike,

Its cool, I know what you mean, lol. Anyways, just a little question, but maybes i should have asked this on another thread, but was is the difference between a pcx or pci graphics card and an agp one? Is one better than the other? Or is it to do with the type of mobo? Thanks.

Archived