Corsair Community

How tight is it when trying to fill an XD3 in a 280x, really?

magarity

From pictures it looks super hard to reach in to the fill port (and screw in the plug) of an XD3 when installed on the top fan in a 280x with a radiator on top. Obviously people do it, but how hard is it, really?

I can't decide to go with the XD3 in the top corner or just take up the taller space with an XD5 on the bottom front fan. That cuts off longer video cards though, and I'm not sure what model/size I'll be able to get ahold of in the current market.

Equally important, has anyone gone with the XD3 in a 280 and regretted not getting the XD5 or vice versa and why?

Edited by magarity

Thank you for that picture; it is taken at a better angle than all the others I have seen. So there is definitely a lot more room between the top of the XD3 and the fans than I had thought.

Do you just tilt the whole case upside down and drain out of the fill hole? I was thinking of mounting a T junction with a valve attached where the tubing enters the radiator and tilting it all on the back end to drain. I'm planning to only have a 280 top rad which I already bought and made sure it fits.

its not that close, you can easily fill it with a filling bottle (Corsair even sells one - SKU CX-9070001-WW)

You might wanna think putting the XD3 on the back grill with a little help of a drill. Fits perfectly there, you might need to have to take off the i/o shroud from your mobo tho.

992855584_V3final_1.thumb.jpg.cd8575c86e5732c8f951564d73999b7b.jpg

Edited by Infin1tum

Your valve on the T is exactly what I had in mind.

But... but... I've been staring at this picture for 5 minutes and can't figure it out... fluid goes from the pump to the GPU to the front rad. Fluid comes out of the top rad into the CPU back to the pump. Uhhhhh.... it doesn't seem to have a way to go from the front to the top. WTF.

Thank you for that picture; it is taken at a better angle than all the others I have seen. So there is definitely a lot more room between the top of the XD3 and the fans than I had thought.

Do you just tilt the whole case upside down and drain out of the fill hole? I was thinking of mounting a T junction with a valve attached where the tubing enters the radiator and tilting it all on the back end to drain. I'm planning to only have a 280 top rad which I already bought and made sure it fits.

I have a T-Junction on the bottom radiator - the connection furthest from the camera. You can't see it in this shot but that gives me a dedicated drain port.

Part of the reason for the fill port was because I was a little concerned about filling it in the case. But there is room for a fill bottle with a flexible tube. However, it might be tough to make sure that the cap is tight.

Some other comments - the case does fit a microATX board but I don't think that the radiator arrangement that I have here would work with a microATX board. If so, it'd be really tight and the bottom of the board would be completely blocked by the bottom radiator and fans.

Also, I'd intended to have the radiator in the front and top. But that won't fit. If you want 2 radiators, top and bottom is really your only option.

Edited by DevBiker

But... but... I've been staring at this picture for 5 minutes and can't figure it out... fluid goes from the pump to the GPU to the front rad. Fluid comes out of the top rad into the CPU back to the pump. Uhhhhh.... it doesn't seem to have a way to go from the front to the top. WTF.

It goes like this:

XD3 => CPU => Top Radiator => GPU => Bottom Radiator => XD3

And, in all honesty, it getting the tubes routed in was the most challenging part of it.

the tube from the front to the top goes behind the top rad. only works with 2x 240mm rads tho. loop order is XD3 - GPU - front - top - CPU

510828574_V3final_3.thumb.jpg.1aba1ba5a1736f5d3f4c80ab295ff8f5.jpg

the tube from the front to the top goes behind the top rad. only works with 2x 240mm rads tho. loop order is XD3 - GPU - front - top - CPU

OK, I get it now, that gives me an idea, thanks for the inspiration. And I think I'll probably go with an XD3 in the back like that too since then the lighting is much more visible with how I have my desk arranged.

• Like 1

OK, I get it now, that gives me an idea, thanks for the inspiration. And I think I'll probably go with an XD3 in the back like that too since then the lighting is much more visible with how I have my desk arranged.

I considered doing that. However, that would put the XD3 directly over the CPU block, which I didn't want to do.