Corsair Community

Weird RPM reading in bios (iCue H150i RGB Pro XT)

W0D1N

Hi,

When i am in bios my CPU fan speed reports 4687 RPM but they are visually not spinning at all... and i think that reported RPM is very high and makes me think there is a problem lol. I have connected the CPU fan connector properly although there is only 1 wire for RPM reporting. I can see 1 or 2 fans trying to spin a little and sometimes they manage to spin verry slow. The q-fan settings are on default for cpu fan.

Once i booted into windows and iCue is started it all runs ok with normal fan speeds. So i am wondering how the bios reads such rediculas high RPM while not spinning at all. Is it the bios or the IAO cooler? I can imagine the bios wont turn the fans on when it reads that number..

And i was wondering if my CPU temps are ok with my setup.

AMD Threadripper 3960X

Corsair iCue H150i RGB PRO XT (360mm rad)

ambient temps are around 30 Celcius

CPU temp is idle arround 48/50 celcius and when i run cinabench a few times it gets to 78 celcius. When i play hames it's arround 60/65 celcius.

I think its a bit on the high side but i also heard these processors tent to get high on temps.

Anyone got an idea?

I dont know if that is the pump. When i look in iCue the pump speed is arround 2600 on extreme..

When i go into bios then the vcore is 1.4v witch is very high indeed. But normally the temp stays ok because the cpu is not realy doing anything. but i think it wil use that voltage when boosting in windows. i rather have a longer boost with lower ghz then a short one with higher ghz. but it seems it wil go only to "normal" performance when i enable the overclock... like when i switch it on i get around 13500 score in cinabench r20 and when i disable the overclock it will be around 12900. When i compare my score to others then 13500 is normal. Now it is also extreme hot weather over here so the cooling have a busy job :)

I have the same setup. Remember the wire connected to the MB cpu fan is only to report a signal to the bios that it is there and OK to boot.

What i have determined it is 2X the pump speed showing. For example, glancing over to HWiNFO64 my RPM is showing as 5200. Pulling up iCue my pump speed is 2600. If you watch the two they reflect each other at 2X.

the pump speed is red by a reed sensor, that detects when magnets in the pump impeller pass under.

To keep the impeller balanced, there's two magnets inside.. so the pump sends two pulses per rotation.

iCue divides by 2 to display the real rotation speed. Bios and utilities like HWinfo display the raw speed pulse. So everything is working okay.