Corsair Community

Quad channel 64GB issue

kno3

I've just set up a new system with an Asus X99 Deluxe II, Intel 5820K and 8x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX. The issue I'm facing is that on cold start, my PC loop restarts twice, and then boots up. If its a restart, it starts up immediately.

I've had this issue with a previous PC before and it was a memory issue. But with 8 memory sticks this is not easy to troubleshoot. I tried running 1 memory stick; PC turns on (does not POST) and turns off after couple of seconds. I thought maybe its because the memory is quad channel so requires more sticks to run. Put on 4 sticks - same thing happens. The PC only restarts and eventually POSTS if I have 8 sticks in the motherboard - which doesn't make much sense. Maybe its a memory slot issue?

Anyone encountered this issue before with quad channel?

Do you manually disconnect power with a switch when the system is shut down?

If that is the case the first start might be needed to load configuration data into the embedded controllers before the system does an actual POST. Usually it only requires one restart, but i don't own a X99 Deluxe II so maybe that is system specific and will get fixed with a BIOS update eventually.

I've just set up a new system with an Asus X99 Deluxe II, Intel 5820K and 8x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX. The issue I'm facing is that on cold start, my PC loop restarts twice, and then boots up. If its a restart, it starts up immediately.

I've had this issue with a previous PC before and it was a memory issue. But with 8 memory sticks this is not easy to troubleshoot. I tried running 1 memory stick; PC turns on (does not POST) and turns off after couple of seconds. I thought maybe its because the memory is quad channel so requires more sticks to run. Put on 4 sticks - same thing happens. The PC only restarts and eventually POSTS if I have 8 sticks in the motherboard - which doesn't make much sense. Maybe its a memory slot issue?

un

Anyone encountered this issue before with quad channel?

Is that a matched 8x8 kit? have you run any memory testing programs such as memtest86+ or HCI Memtest to check for memory stability?

UPDATE: Ran memtest and no faults detected there. Still curious as to why PC doesn't turn on with one stick or even 4 sticks but only with 8 sticks. Even if I had 1 pack of 4x8GB, don't see why it wouldn't work :/

Did you look for any BIOS updates? What speed memory? Did you check compatibility with the board? Are you running it at stock speed?

Also as a side note. If you are going to try a stick or 2 or 3 etc, the odd number slots need to be populated first. Just an F.Y.I

Archived