Corsair Community

Computer will not shutdown properly

Desert Viking

When I go to Power and tell Windows 10 to shut down, the monitor goes dark, but the computer keeps running. It will go into a "Soft" power off, meaning everything appears to shut off except the violet colored LEDs on the mother board keep flashing on and off, if I hold the power button on the case down for 7 seconds. It will shut off completely as it is supposed to if I shut down from Safe Boot, however, it will not shut down from a clean boot with only Microsoft services running and all start up items disabled. Is there any chance this could be a problem with my AX760 power supply?

Is there any chance this could be a problem with my AX760 power supply?

I suspect no chance at all.

Given the system shuts down OK from a Safe Boot and not from a normal boot I expect there is a 3rd party device driver on your system that is causing the issue. What 3rd party drivers are you using and if you disable the devices they control does the system when shutdown cleanly?

In the past I have used Task Manager to shut down any suspicious processes before trying to shut down the computer. This narrows down the list of culprits. It may even be Windows causing it although that tends to be older versions such as XP or Vista.

Archived