-DRAM voltage 1.36

-Timings: 16-18-18-36

Results: 15 boots, 15 failures

XMP: Disabled

Manual Settings:

-DRAM 3100

-DRAM voltage 1.35

-Timings: 16-18-18-36

Cold Boot Results: 15 boots, 15 successful boots.

Restart from Windows Results: 15 restarts, 12 successful, 3 overclock failed.

Note: on fail was able to enter BIOS and just hit F10 and each time got a successful boot.

-------------

Taking out 2 sticks and running on 8GB

XMP : Enabled (Profile 1)

Results: over 15 restarts was able to boot 10 times, 5 times overclock failed

I did not try any manual settings with only 2 sticks.

-----------

Current settings:

Manual:

BCLK FREQ: 100

Sync all Cores to 46

DRAM: 3100

EPU: Disabled

SVID: Disabled

CPU Power: Adaptive Mode

+1.34

Offset voltage: Auto

DRAM voltage: 1.35

Timings: 16-18-18-36

Results: 15 of 15 on cold boots, 14 of 15 on windows restarts.

This has gone on long enough. I just built another system and ordered a Gigabyte gaming board and G.SKILL and XMP is working great. Guess I learned my lesson.

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey Wafox,

out of interest have you tried the Corsair Ram in the Gigabyte board? and the G.Skill Ram in the ASUS board?

just interested to see how the ASUS works using a different memory manufacturer and if the Corsair ram works in another Mobo brand without issues.

Thanks!

Hey Wafox,

out of interest have you tried the Corsair Ram in the Gigabyte board? and the G.Skill Ram in the ASUS board?

just interested to see how the ASUS works using a different memory manufacturer and if the Corsair ram works in another Mobo brand without issues.

Thanks!

On page 14 i gave my experience with my new I7 6700K PC

Asus Pro gaming + 2x8 3000Mhz Patriot Viper with XMP works great.

If it can help you. maybe i'm just lucky :)

• Corsair Employee
Hey Wafox,

Thanks!

Attached are two screenshots of our Memory working with other mobo manufacturers running at 3200mhz. Hopefully this will answer your question

GA1.thumb.jpg.aaf76a1c65f601945857e1d3ab100ced.jpg

MSI.thumb.jpg.cf96c79d3a2e1bbe5e97138a5c2a0af1.jpg

Not sure if it helps or not, but just wanted to advise that I am having the same issue with CMD16GX4M4C3200C15 (4x4gb) on a Asus Maximus viii Formula z170 motherboard with the latest bios.

It was running well enough for a while but would randomly freeze or just shut down. I began running memtest86 on each stick of ram and when I went to test the final piece by itself the system wouldn't post. I tried it in each different dim and still wouldn't post.

I'll try setting the timing manually when I get home.

Attached are two screenshots of our Memory working with other mobo manufacturers running at 3200mhz. Hopefully this will answer your question

Thanks Henry,

That's good to see the 3200 kit working in other boards fine, shame the 3200 kit i have wont play nicely with my Asus board!

do we have any tech info on why the Asus boards are so bad with these kits? is it just the Asus boards?

• Corsair Employee
Thanks Henry,

That's good to see the 3200 kit working in other boards fine, shame the 3200 kit i have wont play nicely with my Asus board!

do we have any tech info on why the Asus boards are so bad with these kits? is it just the Asus boards?

As far as i can tell, it is not all ASUS boards. In terms of tech info, I am hesitant to say anything further until i hear back from ASUS.

As far as i can tell, it is not all ASUS boards. In terms of tech info, I am hesitant to say anything further until i hear back from ASUS.

Appreciate the updates! I've got my CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 running at 2800Mhz on my Asus ProGaming Z170 on BIOS 1204. Just 200Mhz to go :p:

Thanks Henry,

http://www.overclock.net/t/1568154/a...#post_24629290

Basically, Asus is saying you get what you pay for. Most Asus ROG boards are 6 layer (starting at over $200) and spec at 3866 MHz XMP or higher. I have no issues with Corsair or G.Skill 3200 MHz XMP memory. But there seems to be a few M8H, M8F and M8E complaints in this thread which is surprising.

Basically, Asus is saying you get what you pay for.

That may very well be true, but it hasn't stopped Asus from implying their Z170-A can run 5.2 GHz and up to 3400 MHz all over their own product page. That makes his "buy a better board" argument particularly weak, especially since it has become a standard response for the last several board generations.

• Corsair Employee

Basically, Asus is saying you get what you pay for. Most Asus ROG boards are 6 layer (starting at over $200) and spec at 3866 MHz XMP or higher. I have no issues with Corsair or G.Skill 3200 MHz XMP memory. But there seems to be a few M8H, M8F and M8E complaints in this thread which is surprising.

Thanks for posting this and backing us up!

I have just ended up with the same issue after bios update. Downgraded it back to 2015 dated bios and my XMP DDR4-3000 is ok. I have Kingston Savage memory kit, so I guess the problem is not in memory, but in mb or bios.

Besides that upgraded bios ruined chafan3 settings via gui - all dots are in one point and freeze occurs after attempt to drag a dot to set fan speed.

I'm frustrated a lot about this mb and even think about upgrading to deluxe despite of the price.

Edited by TLoD_Snake

As far as I can determine having found this and several other threads there is a major issue with using all 4 dimm slots even if the memory is on the QVL. There is a set of three columns to the far right of the z170 memory QVL that says "Dimm Socket Support (optional)" and includes single dimm double dimm and quad dimm.

First optional it is not!!!!

Second it has a disclaimer at the bottom of the QVL

" 4 DIMM Slots

• 1 DIMM: Supports one module inserted in any slot as Single-channel memory configuration

• 2 DIMM: Supports one pair of modules inserted into eithor the gray slots or the black slots as one pair of Dual-channel memory configuration

• 4 DIMM: Supports 4 modules inserted into both the gray and black slots as two pairs of Dual-channel memory configuration "

I do not recall seeing this in earlier versions of the QVL for this board but I am certain from my own testing of the system on my workbench that it is anything but "optional" if the damn thing is on the QVL and does not have a dot in the 4 dimm box its as unstable as a drunk on a tightrope and about as safe.

In a nutshell above DDR4 2800 the current Qualified Vendors List (QVL) says the board DOES NOT SUPPORT 4 DIMM configurations from 16GB to 32GB with very few exceptions.:evil:

As the whole point of the z170 chipset was to increase memory speed and size for the 64bit OS/Chip combination this is pretty negative and ASUS' new T-Topology has not worked. :(:

I am wondering if underclocking my 32GB of corsair will allow it to work in 4 DIMM mode or if there is a way of disabling the banked interleaving on the Grey and Black Sockets?

Any and all suggestions gratefully accepted

:D:

For my setup with ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING, 2x8 Kingston Savage XMP DDR4-3000 memory and i7-6700K the 0803 bios version is the latest bios system works stable with.

Every newer bios (I tried every one of them) causes system to randomly fail on boot with "overclocking error" and with every newer bios qFan GUI for chassis fan #3 in manual mode is bugged and freezes on attempt to move points on graph.

So my suggestion for this board is to downgrade to BIOS v.0803.

And yes, BTW, I just checked my memory in Memtest86 in XMP DDR4-3000 mode, it gives me no errors at all for 4 full passes of 13 tests. So I suggest memory is not the one to blame.

Edited by TLoD_Snake

have run several tests since my last post.

32GB 4 DIMMS

Under Clocking does not have any effect at all. 4 dimms = death.:evil:

16GB 2 DIMMS

Slots A1 and B1 (two black dimm slots)

(note this is an Asus QVL approved combination of Corsair and configuration)

it works and can overclock (XMP Profile#1) but ASUS driver IOMap64.sys is not stable and with Microsofts Driver Verifier set to on it blue screens.

Then took the overclock off (XMP Disabled) and it still blue screens.

Removed IOMap64.sys and all other Asus AISuite 3 drivers. Also had to take out Gigabytes OCGuru Driver as MS Driver Verifier killed that on start up for similar reasons. Basically the Manufacturers software violates MS Ring Fence on memory access as it bypasses the OS as far as I can see. I have to agree as two indpendent processes writing to the same memory area are going to get it wrong at some point and hit the same address.

A lot better but STILL NOT STABLE. Tests (OCCT) now run to completion but cause BSOD on exit or lockup Games are the same (Dirt, Counter Strike) CTD.

16GB 2 Dimms

Slots A1 and A2 (one black slot and one grey slot)

Aha! :bigeyes:

things are looking better, test runs fine and I can escape and stop without BSOD or lockup.

Both Counter Strike and Dirt run (I am still crap though :[pouts: LOL)

OK so here's the skinny,

Asus z170-K on latest bios using a QVL configuration of 16GB Corsair kit DOES NOT RUN STABLE (yes its a kit not a pair of individuals I put together.

Work Around: Disable the dual channel memory feature by putting the DIMMS in different channels i.e. one black one gray slot (the first two nearest the CPU.

ASUS care to comment? Corsair you may quote me to ASUS and I would be pleased if you did. This is not funny from my, or your, point of view. Even their QVL memory and configs do not work on this board.

"Work Around: Disable the dual channel memory feature by putting the DIMMS in different channels i.e. one black one gray slot (the first two nearest the CPU."

Did you try slots A2/B2 for two sticks? This is the recommended configuration.

"ASUS care to comment? Corsair you may quote me to ASUS and I would be pleased if you did."

Asus North America Z170 MB support is here;

http://www.overclock.net/t/1568154/asus-north-america-asus-z170-motherboards-q-a-thread

That may very well be true, but it hasn't stopped Asus from implying their Z170-A can run 5.2 GHz and up to 3400 MHz all over their own product page. That makes his "buy a better board" argument particularly weak, especially since it has become a standard response for the last several board generations.

The Z170-A is handling XMP 3600 in this review;

http://www.overclockers.com/asus-z170-motherboard-review/

"Even though the “official” memory support shows 3466 MHz as being the highest, the Z170-A had no problems running our G.Skill DDR4-3600 MHz using its XMP profile."

Looking at the date of the review, it looks like an earlier BIOS must have been used. Didn't even know that 3600 MHz DDR4 was available back then.

Less than optimal memory timings, derived from memory training during the BIOS POST (not the basics seen in CPU-Z), are probably the cause of most DDR4 issues right now. Saw the same thing back in 2007/2008 when DDR3 first came out.

To Corsair,

Im personally not angry or upset with corsair.. Im more so frustrated about the whole situation as i would assume you guys at corsair would also be frustrated that your customers have paid for a product that doesn't work as advertised.

As mentioned it seems to be very common with Corsair ram+ Asus boards. The fact that Asus has taken months to address the issue is unacceptable.

We just feel left in the dark here. I have two friends who have the same board as me though they have G.Skill RAM and are able to run XMP3200 without a hitch..

Does that mean im going to switch to G.Skill ? no its not. I Stand by Corsair products because they have been great for many years now.

I just hope that this RAM issue is resolved and not thrown under the carpet.

The Asus ROG MAXIMUS VIII FORMULA works perfectly with 4x8gb C15 3000mhz sticks at 3000mhz. Thinking about picking up some higher frequency ones to test them.

3000mhz and below is easy to achieve now with the latest bios updates. 3200 however seems to be a bit elusive!