Corsair Community

Unable to boot with XMP CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 on Asus z170 pro gaming MB

r-Z

has any one of you tried hard restting your boards bios?

1- power down pc..

2- remove all power cables connected internally and externally...

3- after "1 & 2" remove CMOS bat..for 20min...walk away..take a swim or beer break..also remove all ram sticks..

4- after #1/2/3...re-insert cmos bat..reconnect all power cables..intarnal and external...plus anything you unplugged..

5- power/boot up pc..wait till bios set up prompt comes up..go into bios..load defaults../AUTO for everything possible....leave it all stock..

OH PS..also disconnect your hds...when disconnecting the power etc..just to prevent any issues with data loss etc etc...

6- after load defaults..makes sure it boots all the way to windows...run your usual/preferred array fo tests..prime small fft etc etc etc......for say atleast 1-6hours..if stable...proceed to start your tweaking.....

ram- use auto for everything and XMP on..if this fails..then use previously mentioned method of manual tweaking

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's good feedback, you should be able to get 4 sticks going.

With the same 2 sticks installed, do the following;

1. Download ROG CPU-Z version 1.74 here;

http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z....74-rog-en.zip

2. Run CPU-Z and choose the memory tab

Are "Cycle Time" and "Row refresh Cycle Time" showing 36 and 320 clocks respectively?

Hey again. Yes I am seeing Cycle Time 36, Row Refresh Cycle Time 320. Other timings are CAS Latency: 16.0, RAS to CAS Delay 18, RAS Precharge 18, Command Rate 2T.

This is with 2x4 in XMP. If I insert all 4x4 sticks it won't boot (error 55). Any ideas?

Try this;

1. Enter BIOS.

2. Press F5 to load optimized defaults.

3. Choose XMP at the "Ai Overclock Tuner" option in the "Extreme Tweaker" menu then "No" instead of "Yes" if you get a prompt.

4. Move down to the "DRAM Timing Control" option in "Extreme Tweaker" menu and press enter.

5. Change "DRAM RAS# ACT Time" from 36 to 38 (type 38 followed by enter).

6. Move down to "DRAM REF Cycle Time" and change from Auto (or whatever is there) to 416 (type 416 followed by enter).

7. Press F10 to save and exit BIOS (other changes like fan settings etc. can be made later).

Still no post. What bios are you on? Im on 1302 at the moment of testing and 1402 is sitting on a usb, but im afraid of flashing random bios'.

Thanks!

Still no post. What bios are you on? Im on 1302 at the moment of testing and 1402 is sitting on a usb, but im afraid of flashing random bios'.

Thanks!

Suggest you flash the latest BIOS, follow steps 1-6, then reduce DRAM frequency below 3200. Repeat until you find the highest frequency you're able to boot. Then we can work on XMP voltage adjustments and hopefully that will allow you to increase frequency again.

Unfortunately, the Z170A does not handle high frequency memory as well as other Asus boards. I'm using the latest BIOS for M8G (1302) but never had XMP issues with any BIOS.

Using those instructions I can get up to 3100. Another thing I've noticed while booting repeatedly, once every 6th or 7th boot I can actually enter Windows with 3200 XMP with all 4 sticks, but it seems very random.

3100 is still very good, hopefully they release new bios later on which fixes this.

EDIT: 3100 boots succesfully 3 out of 4 times or so, but still fails sometimes. Running 3000 now and it seems stable.

Edited by idruz

Using those instructions I can get up to 3100. Another thing I've noticed while booting repeatedly, once every 6th or 7th boot I can actually enter Windows with 3200 XMP with all 4 sticks, but it seems very random.

3100 is still very good, hopefully they release new bios later on which fixes this.

EDIT: 3100 boots succesfully 3 out of 4 times or so, but still fails sometimes. Running 3000 now and it seems stable.

Increasing the DRAM voltage should get you to 3200 if you're up to it. Do the following to check the current voltage;

1. Enter the BIOS with 4 sticks memory, XMP and 3000MHz DRAM frequency.

2. Move down to the "DRAM Voltage" option in the "Extreme Tweaker" menu.

3. You should see two voltage values, one in yellow to the right (voltage set) and the other in white to the left (voltage read). What is the value to the left? Is it 1.328, 1.344 or 1.36V?

4. Press Esc to exit the BIOS.

Increasing the DRAM voltage should get you to 3200 if you're up to it. Do the following to check the current voltage;

1. Enter the BIOS with 4 sticks memory, XMP and 3000MHz DRAM frequency.

2. Move down to the "DRAM Voltage" option in the "Extreme Tweaker" menu.

3. You should see two voltage values, one in yellow to the right (voltage set) and the other in white to the left (voltage read). What is the value to the left? Is it 1.328, 1.344 or 1.36V?

4. Press Esc to exit the BIOS.

It is 1.344. Should I increase it?

It is 1.344. Should I increase it?

Yes, increase right hand side (using the + key) until left hand side reads 1.36V after reboot. You can go even higher without damaging anything, but stay below 1.4V on right hand side (where text color changes from yellow to purple).

Yes, increase right hand side (using the + key) until left hand side reads 1.36V after reboot. You can go even higher without damaging anything, but stay below 1.4V on right hand side (where text color changes from yellow to purple).

I increased it one '+' increment at a time, but at 3200 XMP it fails even at 1.395V. Thanks for the help but I'll stay at 3000, 1.35V for now. Difference is probably negligble anyway.

Suggest you flash the latest BIOS, follow steps 1-6, then reduce DRAM frequency below 3200. Repeat until you find the highest frequency you're able to boot. Then we can work on XMP voltage adjustments and hopefully that will allow you to increase frequency again.

Unfortunately, the Z170A does not handle high frequency memory as well as other Asus boards. I'm using the latest BIOS for M8G (1302) but never had XMP issues with any BIOS.

I tried runnig them 2800 with your settings but still no boot. I have been able to run 3000mhz before with system agent and VCCI both at 1.20v and ram at 1.4v. But thats for about 30 min after which they become too hot and shutdown(? I think?!). System then does not boot untill you up system agent and vcci, then boots again. Now Im mad that I couldnt get the maximus 8 hero board because of unavailability :(

I tried runnig them 2800 with your settings but still no boot. I have been able to run 3000mhz before with system agent and VCCI both at 1.20v and ram at 1.4v. But thats for about 30 min after which they become too hot and shutdown(? I think?!). System then does not boot untill you up system agent and vcci, then boots again. Now Im mad that I couldnt get the maximus 8 hero board because of unavailability :(

"Now Im mad that I couldnt get the maximus 8 hero board because of unavailability"

Yeah, even Asus doesn't seem to recommend using high speed memory with the Z170A;

http://www.overclock.net/t/1568154/asus-north-america-asus-z170-motherboards-q-a-thread/2270#post_24629290

At one time HardForum had sticky reviews of both the Asus Z170 Deluxe and Z170A but soon removed the latter, most likely because the reviewer wasn't able to get memory to run over 2666MHz in the case of the Z170A. BTW, the settings given are what GS uses for their Tri*Z 3200 memory.

I increased it one '+' increment at a time, but at 3200 XMP it fails even at 1.395V. Thanks for the help but I'll stay at 3000, 1.35V for now. Difference is probably negligble anyway.

Okay, sorry you weren't able to make it all the way.

PS: Sent you a PM.

Edited by Eldata

"Now Im mad that I couldnt get the maximus 8 hero board because of unavailability"

Yeah, even Asus doesn't seem to recommend using high speed memory with the Z170A;

http://www.overclock.net/t/1568154/asus-north-america-asus-z170-motherboards-q-a-thread/2270#post_24629290

At one time HardForum had sticky reviews of both the Asus Z170 Deluxe and Z170A but soon removed the latter, most likely because the reviewer wasn't able to get memory to run over 2666MHz in the case of the Z170A. BTW, the settings given are what GS uses for their Tri*Z 3200 memory.

UPDATE: Managed to boot and run stable with 3000 mhz with voltage at 1.38-something but getting awful scores, both cinebench and firestrike ultra. To the point where i got 850 points stock and 750 at 3000. Re-did both tests and thats it. Clocks are just horrid. And let's not judge a mobo by its BIOS. (lol) Maybe in a few months they will fix the issues, without going that bad on clock timings. And the one thing driving me absolutely nuts is the fact that since I have raid 0 1tb drives, every time I boot it flashes Intel's storage menu before it shows me Asus' press del or f2 for bios screen.

PS: I didn't even know about G.Skillls trident Z memories. Damn 4266mhz at CL19-26-26-46 lol.

EDIT: 1402 bios, issue with System not shutting down correctly came back. Where when i turn off my PC, windows would shut down but PSU keeps everything running and not turning off, having me to physically shut down pc. 1302 fixed this somehow.

Edited by Hitmarker

OMG, did you guys know what the problem with my Ranger VIII en Dominator XMP at 3000 boot problem was? XMP now works!

I was using the IGP in stead of my GTX970 that had now arrived.

I can even reproduce the boot error when I remove the GTX.

I got B2 as an error

Apparantly the board does not like it when people 'overclock' their mem while using the IGP using HDMI.....

Hope this will help people but prob most of use use a dedicated vid card already. But for those that don't this helped me ;-)

~

EDIT: 1402 bios, issue with System not shutting down correctly came back. Where when i turn off my PC, windows would shut down but PSU keeps everything running and not turning off, having me to physically shut down pc. 1302 fixed this somehow.

You can report issues like these in the following Asus forum threads;

http://www.overclock.net/t/1568154/asus-north-america-asus-z170-motherboards-q-a-thread

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1871276

http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?board_id=1&model=Z170-A&SLanguage=en-us

And the squeaky barrow often gets the most attention. Well, at least Ben Franklin thought so. :laughing:

You can report issues like these in the following Asus forum threads;

http://www.overclock.net/t/1568154/asus-north-america-asus-z170-motherboards-q-a-thread

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1871276

http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?board_id=1&model=Z170-A&SLanguage=en-us

And the squeaky barrow often gets the most attention. Well, at least Ben Franklin thought so. :laughing:

Thanks, dude!

Similar problem for CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 2x8 GB on asus z170 pro gaming.

System usually failed to boot from a cold start up for the first time but will successful boot for the second time. After login windows, everything is fine and no crash or blue screen.

XMP enabled and RAM run at 3000 MHz.

Hello,

I have exactly the same problem , but I have a memory G.SKILL F4-3000C15D-16GVR 2x8 GB on Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Bios 1102; i5 6600; XMP enabled 3000 Mhz.

I 've done a lot of tests - everything works great, but sometimes has a problem with the first boot.

Edited by Marcino

Hi guys i spent some time to make my ram work @ 3000mhz and i think i found solution... I was trying nearly everything but what seems to work is making ram to work @ 1.25V not 1.35V like corsair says.. Im working 2nd day at 3000mhz 15 17 17 35 1.25V, and it looks like it working well.

Sorry for my not best english, just wanted to share it with u guys ;)

my ram is CMK16GX4M2B3000C15

Dunno why you guys are tweaking and circumventing things. Corsair is responsible for all these problems as it does not run at the advertised speeds. So far it seems they dont give a flying F about your problems nor mine. So lets all get Gskill ram next time and see how that affects Corsair for coming years. Edited by unklez

Dunno why you guys are tweaking and circumventing things. Corsair is responsible for all these problems as it does not run at the advertised speeds. So far it seems they dont give a flying F about your problems nor mine. So lets all get G.Skilll ram next time and see how that affects Corsair for coming years.

Heh, I actually returned mine and went for G.Skill Tridentz 2x8GB 3200. XMP activated first try without any problems on Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero.

Oh that's very interesting!

Corsair need to start speaking up again as they seemed to be stepping things up in this thread before the holidays and asking for feedback so they could pass onto the motherboard vendors, updates seemed to have stopped in the new year.....

Greybeard! any news? whats the latest? I'm still stuck at 3000mhz on my 3200mhz memory and this thread is filled with other people in the same boat.

HI,

i have the same behavior with CMK8GX4M2B3200C16R kit and Asus z170 pro gaming and XMP settings. it works stable only on 2933 on manual setting. some times PC does not boot up or it has memory error in memtest V6.2.

Is there any way to adjust memory parameters? what additional info should i provide?

thanks

Edited by ninzucu