Corsair Community

Corsair VS1GBKIT400C3 + Abit AV8: works only with one stick :(

Soundwave

I got my Kit today and it doesnt work right.

With one stick everything works like a champ, with 2 sticks it gives me the 04 Memory error POST code again.

I tried both sticks individually to make sure both are okay and they indeed are.

Here are the timings the System runs the rams on:

http://members.aol.com/unrealmagic/BIOS.jpg

Should I change the settings for running 2 modules?

My Sys:

Abit AV8 V1.1, BIOS 1.6

Athlon 64 Winchester core, 3000+

Thanks in advance.

Allllrightey I believe I have found the reason why the memory only works when I use one stick:

They are 2 different ones even though i got em as a kit!

I just chased both sticks through the memtest which they both passed perfectly. AND look what I found:

Stick 1: CAS: 2,5-3-3-8

Stick 2: CAS: 3-4-4-8

So yeah and when 2 sticks are in the system and both have totally different timings and all OF COURSE they cant work together now can they!

The picture from the timings i posted in the picture of the first post in this thread are the ones that I used when I manually tried to run them and it didnt work.

So I think this is just a question of setting up the right timings and all so they can work properly together!

Ram Guy, please enlighten me and tell me which timings I should change in my BIOS so both RAM sticks will finally work! :D:

I would try to manually set those timings in the order you have given as 3,4,4,8. Disable the SPD function. You "might" be able to run the latencies a bit lower but, I would suggest these timings first to see if you can get stable first.

Just curious, what vendor did you buy from and did they tell you it was a matched kit of RAM?

Mike.

I would try to manually set those timings in the order you have given as 3,4,4,8. Disable the SPD function.

Yes but what does 3,4,4,8 stand for?

As you can see in the picture I posted there are a lot of numbers in the BIOS and I am no RAM expert. So which of these have to be changed to which value?

Just curious, what vendor did you buy from and did they tell you it was a matched kit of RAM?

Mike.

Vendor? Corsair Value Select, I got them from a very well known and high quality store in germany.

Yes it is a original Corsair kit and came sealed with the 2 Corsair VS ramsticks so of course itll match.

I also read on this board that somtimes sticks with CAS 2.5 are put into the CAS 3 kits as well.

Too bad I got one of this and one of the other kind. :(

Roger, I will contact my dealer tomorrow and will send the kit back to have it freely replaced with a new one that hopely contains 2 similar sticks.

Do you think thats why it doesnt work, even with same timings?

I really have no other explanation as 2 different power supplies didnt make a difference either.

Sounds very true, Abit confirmed that the AV8 is a bitch when it comes to RAM timings. And then of course manual timings dont help either.

I just REALLY hope the next kit wont have one CAS 2.5 and one CAS 3 stick again.

How is the chance to catch a kit with two CAS3 sticks?

Archived