Corsair Community

HX1200 or HX1200i not turning on? Heat it up first.

rehsd

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So users should not user their PC for weeks while they wait for a replacement, or they should go purchase another PSU in the meantime?

I submitted a ticket five days ago and have received no response from Corsair.

One could also keep the PC on 24/7 while waiting, until the replacement arrives.

Not ideal but certainly cheaper than buying a PSU for a few weeks usage. (And putting the 3090 power management setting to "normal" instead of "performance".. drops idle power from ~120W to >40w).

That would keep the PSU at working temperature, and it doesn't use much power, provided RGB is off.

But if you've shut it off, and it won't turn on... :) then you need to warm it up. I agree... once it's on, don't turn it off.

In my case, I swapped out my RAM, and during that time it cooled off and wouldn't turn back on. If I would have known about the hair dryer trick, I would have done that quickly and would've been fine waiting for a replacement. Since I didn't know that trick, I had to go buy a replacement PSU; I can't go weeks without my PC.

I submitted a ticket five days ago and have received no response from Corsair.

After nearly a week, I get an email from Corsair asking for the exact same information I had already submitted with the initial ticket. ??!! :!:

I have this same issue and i chose to leave my PC on and i wouldnt mind but i have a fan that needs to be replaced due to an intermittent rattling and i have been putting it off till i get my replacement PSU.

Still I put my request in on the 28th and got a reply on the 1st asking for more information, which i responded to right away and nothing since :(:.

What more irritating is that Corsair sent me this PSU knowing it maybe faulty :mad:.

I imagine Corsair employees are extra busy right now, given COVID, supply issues, and an increase in demand. That's why it's ever more important that they have streamlined processes, such as collecting information once, rather than collecting the same information twice and putting people through a second, unnecessary queue. Corsair staff have been friendly, but Corsair definitely needs to work on process improvement.

I imagine Corsair employees are extra busy right now, given COVID, supply issues, and an increase in demand. That's why it's ever more important that they have streamlined processes, such as collecting information once, rather than collecting the same information twice and putting people through a second, unnecessary queue. Corsair staff have been friendly, but Corsair definitely needs to work on process improvement.

Yeah its still frustrating though.

So has anyone here managed to get a replacement sent out to them or even heard back? Because i'm still waiting lol.

I finally got an update this afternoon. Questions/concerns...

-No advanced replacement?

-I need to send all my DC power cables back with the PSU? This is what the instructions are telling me.

It seems like it would be so much easier to send me the PSU, without cabling. I can then use the same packaging and return my *recalled* PSU. Instead,

• I now need to track down packaging,
  • there's an increased risk of shipping damage because of not having the proper packaging (versus using the packing from the replacement PSU),
  • have to track down just the right DC cables as I have many Corsair power supplies and good luck I'll get all the right ones packaged up, (also seems like an easy excuse for Corsair to say "we didn't receive all of the right parts, so we won't replace your PSU")
  • and I need to wait for shipping there, multi-day inspection, and shipping back (minimally, another week, if not two of time added to this process)

Am I missing something, or is the above truly the expectation of Corsair?

It's ironic that the PSU I invested more money in, thinking it's a top-of-the-line PSU, ends up being the worst I've had. Adding salt to that is the difficulty in getting a replacement PSU.

Can you hear me screaming?

Today, I got the replacement PSU. Lot code is out of the listed range. I gut my PC again, pulling out the temporary PSU, including all power cables. I put in the new HX1200i, get all my cabling redone, and push the power button. Click. Nothing. So I get out my PSU tester, test the PSU with just the 24-pin power, and it fails. I'm thinking to myself... what's the chance of getting a bad PSU with the same problem as the last one? So, I get out my heat gun and gently warm up the PSU. I try the PSU test again. Guess what? It passes.

So, this PSU has the *exact same issue* as the previous PSU. When it's at room temp, it fails. When it's warmed up, it works.

Poor soldering during manufacturing? Poor quality component(s) in the PSU? I double-checked the 24-pin cable pins; everything looks good.

I'm going to do more testing, but it appears there is a larger issue with the HX1200i series of PSUs.

Corsair, suggestions?

Edited by rehsd

So... I went to triple-check the serial number on the replacement PSU. It ends up it *IS* in the bad lot code. I'm quite sure the serial number on the box it came in was outside of the bad lot code, but the sticker on the PSU is in the bad lot code. (I've already shipped back the bad unit in the new packaging, so I can't confirm if there's a mismatch between the box and the new PSU itself.)

My original PSU was lot code 2035. The new PSU sent to me is 2038. I see no indication that the PSU has been repaired (a sticker, or something).

Corsair, is this really the case? You sent me another PSU in the bad lot? What am I missing?

• Corsair Employee
So... I went to triple-check the serial number on the replacement PSU. It ends up it *IS* in the bad lot code. I'm quite sure the serial number on the box it came in was outside of the bad lot code, but the sticker on the PSU is in the bad lot code. (I've already shipped back the bad unit in the new packaging, so I can't confirm if there's a mismatch between the box and the new PSU itself.)

My original PSU was lot code 2035. The new PSU sent to me is 2038. I see no indication that the PSU has been repaired (a sticker, or something).

Corsair, is this really the case? You sent me another PSU in the bad lot? What am I missing?

No this should not be happening and as I let you know in my reply to your PM, if any one receives a replacement within the effective lot codes immediately reply to your ticket informing the agent and it will get taken care of.

No this should not be happening and as I let you know in my reply to your PM, if any one receives a replacement within the effective lot codes immediately reply to your ticket informing the agent and it will get taken care of.

Thanks for the follow-up, Notepad. I am in touch with the support team. More to come...

I sent my RMA request in today for HX1200

I have a HX1200 and it not working.

I bought amazon.co.uk (the returned product has arrived not new :/ I do not want to use this product anymore because both defective and returned item )

Edited by FthTrzk