Corsair Community

installed H150i PRO RGB and now CPU is dead

macmuchmore

Hi - As the title says, my i7-7700k is now dead after installing the H150i PRO RGB. I carefully removed the noctua heatsink I had been using on my 3 month old pc, then installed the H150i PRO RGB. When I booted the first time, I got the code from my motherboard that there was a hardware fault. After removing all components except the cpu, ram, video card, and boot drive, I tried again and received the same error. I changed motherboards to a new Asus Strix z270e, and got the same error. I then removed the video card and the boot drive - and I got the same error as well. That leaves it to be either RAM or CPU. Since the motherboard has a different code for memory problems, I am pretty sure the CPU is bad. I installed the H150i PRO RGB according to the instructions and I would like to know how it could have killed mu CPU... Thanks!

Did you have something (either the small fan cable from the cooler or a fan) plugged into the CPU_FAN header on the motherboard? If you didn't you will get a hardware error and it will not boot.

OMG I feel like an idiot. I plugged the AIO (my first btw) into the fan header marked specifically for AIOs and did not plug it into the CPU fan header. Switched it to the CPU fan header and all is well... Thanks for the advice. In all my years, I have never had this happen..... sigh.

I think the board makers can share in the blame on this. They know full well something has to be on CPU fan to boot, but did not make a bypass when using the aio header. And there is the heart of the issue: an AIO header on Asus boards is just a CHA/case fan header set to 100% by default. No other special qualities and it isn’t always in a useful place for that purpose. The manual likely says nothing about this and the name would lead you to believe that’s where it should go.

I think the board makers can share in the blame on this. They know full well something has to be on CPU fan to boot, but did not make a bypass when using the aio header. And there is the heart of the issue: an AIO header on Asus boards is just a CHA/case fan header set to 100% by default. No other special qualities and it isn’t always in a useful place for that purpose. The manual likely says nothing about this and the name would lead you to believe that’s where it should go.

This is SO TRUE! If the bleeping manual had had the correct information in it, I would not have tried to use the AIO header. Anyways, thanks for the help. :-)

Now I am going to start another thread about why the pump really only fits with the logo upside down. :-(

But you can go into the BIOS and under monitor change it to ignore

I had plugged my one into the CPU Opt header........so changed it to ignore and no problems

But you can go into the BIOS and under monitor change it to ignore

I had plugged my one into the CPU Opt header........so changed it to ignore and no problems

While that ultimately may put you in a functional state, you are bypassing the safety feature which is in place for a reason. If your pump does not start on AIO, W_Pump, or CPU Fan (ignore), you won't know until the temps hit the limit and the PC shutdown. The boot warning is useful for some people.

Additionally, it does not change the fact that on Asus boards, these AIO or Water Pump headers are a less functional version of a Chassis fan. You didn't get extra headers. They took CHA fans away and put a AIO header in its place. You could already set the CHA to run 100%, so this really is not a gain in control options. It is often less.

If you have an Asus board, the OPT header mimics the CPU header, so you still need to properly disable CPU fan control or you won't get the required power on coolers that draw from that source.

Archived