Corsair Community

Fan placement for 680x

Dryzzt23

I am in the process of building a new PC, starting with the Corsair Crystal 680x and AMD Ryzen 9 5900x.

My plan is to have my case fans arranged as follows:

Front: 3 LL120s pulling air into the case

Top: H100i RGB PLATINUM SE pushing air out/up through the radiator

Bottom: 2 LL120s

Back: 1 LL120

Would it be smarter to go with 2 LL140s on the bottom or put an LL140 on the back, or both?

I don't think it matters from an airflow perspective. It may have more meaning to you from a visual one.

I really like the 740/680 case because you could set-up an all 140mm layout. That is a bit different for most people on the 680X with the 3x120 front. Since you are then adding 2 more 120mm top, you are now largely filled with 120s. I would take a look at internet pictures of the case so you can see what it looks like with 120 vs 140 fans. I think the back cutout is better for a 140, but then some users may look down the top rail and want to see more symmetry. The bottom area has space for either, but again there is some visual interaction with the front three.

From a lighting control perspective it doesn't matter and and 120 and 140 can be used in interchangeable in the hub with no ill effects.