Corsair Community

My second H100i just died, Corsair what the h*** is going on here?

FiveInline

Just installed my second H100i, after waiting one week for a replacement.

Installed it, everything seemed fine. Couple of reboots later, the Corsair logo on the Pump do not light up, and the fans have stopped spinning. They spin for about 3 seconds and then stop.

What is going on here? i cant begin to describe how mad and frustrated i am right now.

Im NOT interested to send my second unit to Corsair and pay shipping for that, i already have to pay for shipping on my first unit back to the store where i bought it.

Two units, both stopped working, the first after two days, the second after a couple of hour.=?!?

And do not tell me to RMA anything back to you guys, im not paying shipping to the netherlands for this thing, please respond to me either in here or in PM.

Here is a photo, just to show that i actually have two of them.

I also have a video containing the high pitched noise, gonna upload that later.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b216/Nightwish84/IMAG0187.jpg

Isnt it any way to reset the firmware or do anything at all? the first one atleast lighted up for some seconds and the fans did spinn, but the second one just seem dead. The pump is going tough, but thats all.

I guess im extremely unlucky, but i hope Corsair speed things up regarding the high pitched noise, and i would like to get an answer to why both my units have stopped working.

The first one was probably a firmware issue, and i find it strange that nothing cant be done, a reset firmware or anything at all.

i find it strange that nothing cant be done, a reset firmware or anything at all.

There's a firmware reset trick floating round the forums that corsair reps recommend, I haven't found it help in my case, your mileage may vary.

i would like to get an answer to why both my units have stopped working.

I doubt there's much they'll be able to tell you without having your units to test or beyond what you can find by searching the forums. :(

I guess your right, and these units probably ends up at Corsair after i have sent them back to the store.

The firmware reset trick, is that for the H100i also?

EDIT

Here is also the video of the High pitched noise , notice that the noise stopped at 0:15, and it was quiet for a little while and then it started again after i shot the video.

Yea I would really like to know whats going on with this as well, my H80i is making the high pitch noise and a slight grinding noise still after updating the firmware. I understand new products have issues but I also didn't spend 100$ + shipping to have a PC that I don't even want to be in the room with.

Corsair say they cant reproduce this noise, and they have tested 30 units, atleast that whats RAM GUY said.

I find it very strange, i have had two units with the exact same noise, and the number of people who post in here with this issue is just getting bigger and bigger.

Of course, its good they working on it, i just find it very odd they cant find anything on 30 units tested.

Could it be a power supply issue like the h100? I have no idea what I'm talking about just throwing ideas out there why they couldnt produce the noise and people with the noise can produce it with 2 different units in a row. Seems odd.

Corsair say they cant reproduce this noise, and they have tested 30 units, atleast that whats RAM GUY said.

I find it very strange, i have had two units with the exact same noise, and the number of people who post in here with this issue is just getting bigger and bigger.

Guys, you have to understand they are selling literally thousands of these per month.So for for corsair to test thirty of them and not reproduce the issue is not uncommon. The same thing happened with the original h-100 and the pump noise with those.

I'm not sure what the odds of a person getting multiple units that exhibit the same issue is, but they are working on it and I can guarantee you they will test a thousand of them if they have to until they can reproduce the fault.

This could very well be like the original pump issue where it ended up being an issue with certain PSU putting out over 12 v.

Everyone's hardware is different and so is the combination of the two.

Rest assured as soon as they can figure it out they will make it right The original H-100 issues , once identified, they immediately started offering advanced replacements of the fixed units as soon as they figured things out and also picked up the shipping for any of those faulty units.

I know it's hard to be patient when you have just purchased a product or built a new system with high expectations only to have problems or potentially be left without a system for a period of time because of that issue.

Just something to keep in mind...

The H100 had only pump noise. The newer one has fan noise too. They SHOULD NOT have replaced H100 fans with SP 120 fans, which by the way is with lower static pressure.As said elsewhere adding corsair link has compounded the problem.

• Corsair Employee
Fiveinline - I am really sorry about your experience. I'll make sure that you don't pay anything when you ship those two units back to us for an RMA replacement. BUT before we do that, I just wanted to make sure that these two units are really faulty. The first unit sounded like it has something to do with power, if you have made sure that the SATA connector is properly connected then let's get that unit replaced. As for the second one, it seems you have power (pump running) but no LED nor fans? is that right? then maybe change SATA power connector and see if that makes a difference. If all suggestion has been done at no avail. Then please submit and RMA request and post your case # here, I'll make sure that our customer service looks into your case right away.

Hi RAM GUY

Dont mean to shout and be ruud, but i was just not really happy that day. However, i have talked to the place i bought it, and as long as am within the 14 day return policy, they actually pay for the shipping back to the store, so my first unit is now sent back, and the second one will be sent this week. I guess these units ends up at Corsair.

Whats happend to the first unit, i dont know, it could have been a faulty firmware update, the fans where spinning upon boot, but the corsair logo went black and the fans where spinning at maximum speed, the pump was working, but corsair link did not show any unit.

The second one, the same thing, but here the fans did not spin, but the pump was running. No Corsair logo lights up.

I have actually installed my third unit now, and so far so good.

And when it comes to the high pitched noise, my third unit also have this.

• Corsair Employee

Not a problem at all. I totally understand where you're coming from. I am just glad to hear that you've got the replacement process all sorted out.

Regarding the high pitch noise, we were able to replicate that issue now. We are working on a fix and I'm pretty confident that it'll be released soon. If the cooler is keeping your CPU temp with good range, I say hang on to it till we release the fix for that issue.

• 3 weeks later...
Good to hear. I just bought an Obsidian 650D and put a H100i in it, and I'm hearing a whining/high pitched noise. I'm not using any of the fans included with the H100i or the 650D, rather I pulled most of them from my last build, but I am using two new noctua fans for the radiator and I am dubious that they could be causing it in any way (the other ones were working fine before so that rules them out.)

• 2 months later...
So your saying that replacing the stock "faulty" fans removes the whine? Will we get replacements then?

Yes, the stock fans have been found to make the pumps whine or appear to be the pump. You can get a replacement set of fans free of charge by submitting an RMA for the cooler and then in the comments section let them know you need the new PWM fans for your unit.

I feel your pain also, I bought an H60 on boxing day last year, worked great until last week. Nasty grinding noise, still works fine but loud as heck. I paid $60 for it, and went for the RMA, found I had to ship it to California!! from Ontario, Canada, that's $30. I'm not going to spend half the cost of the cooler to send it, I might as well buy something else or go back to air. I just bought a H100 before the H60 crapped out, and WOW those fans are the noisiest I have ever heard. I love Corsair and their products, but I've been let way down on these H series coolers. So now I don't know what to do with this, but I certainly did expect more from Corsair.

• Corsair Employee
I feel your pain also, I bought an H60 on boxing day last year, worked great until last week. Nasty grinding noise, still works fine but loud as heck. I paid $60 for it, and went for the RMA, found I had to ship it to California!! from Ontario, Canada, that's $30. I'm not going to spend half the cost of the cooler to send it, I might as well buy something else or go back to air. I just bought a H100 before the H60 crapped out, and WOW those fans are the noisiest I have ever heard. I love Corsair and their products, but I've been let way down on these H series coolers. So now I don't know what to do with this, but I certainly did expect more from Corsair.

If the fans are noisy, did try changing the profile? there are 3 of them that you can select from, quiet mode to performance mode. It would really help us to trouble shoot the issue if you describe it a little more detailed than what you have posted.

• 4 weeks later...
Yes, the stock fans have been found to make the pumps whine or appear to be the pump. You can get a replacement set of fans free of charge by submitting an RMA for the cooler and then in the comments section let them know you need the new PWM fans for your unit.

I'd need to RMA to whole unit? Or just the fans? And pay postage?

Hardly worth it. Postage alone would equate to around half the cost of new fans.

Would the SP 120's suffer from this issue as well? May just buy a set of them if they work without any issues.

Or use my existing cougars which I have had no issues with.

• Administrators
I'd need to RMA to whole unit? Or just the fans? And pay postage?

Hardly worth it. Postage alone would equate to around half the cost of new fans.

Would the SP 120's suffer from this issue as well? May just buy a set of them if they work without any issues.

Or use my existing cougars which I have had no issues with.

There is no need to send us anything. You can get a replacement set of fans free of charge by submitting an RMA for the cooler and then in the comments section let us know you need the new PWM fans for your unit.

There is no need to send us anything. You can get a replacement set of fans free of charge by submitting an RMA for the cooler and then in the comments section let us know you need the new PWM fans for your unit.

Holy *****

I heard your support was good but that is outstanding.

Just filled in a RMA request, Just as I was starting to doubt you guys you have this level of after sales support!

I'm defo a Corsair guy for life now! I have the C70 green, AX860i, H100i purchased the Green Cables for the PSU a couple of days ago and now going to drop in the Full Link Commander / Lighting Kit!

Quick question in reference to the above. So I need to get the GPU node? As the GPU is showing under the AX860i / H100i combo I currently have but I cannot change the fan speed or at least the profiles dont seem to work.

What advantage to having the GPU node is there? Can it controll 2 GPU's in SLi?

Thanks for the RMA advice though. Outstanding!

• Administrators
Holy *****

I heard your support was good but that is outstanding.

Just filled in a RMA request, Just as I was starting to doubt you guys you have this level of after sales support!

Thanks for the RMA advice though. Outstanding!

You're welcome, and I've responded to your ticket with instructions.

Archived